PDA

View Full Version : Switching Off From 1st Shot Choice?

Sid_Vicious
12-31-2003, 04:50 PM
Ok you approach a shot you had already conceived to shoot a certain way, and then it hits you that it is better done another way so you change your shot. I may be in the minority, but I find that I can bungle the new choice all to heck, even if I try to recreate my pre shot routine the same, I'm losing something cuz I miss a higher percentage of the time than I should. I could stick to the 1st impression and play my original shot but I thought I'd ask here for answers.

Do you have a trick for switching to an aleternate choice???sid

JimS
12-31-2003, 05:24 PM
I'd have to redo all my thinking processes and visualization. Then, when comfortable with the decision get down and shoot.

Candyman
12-31-2003, 07:04 PM
I run into the same situation at times and have the same results. My evaluation is that I still have the first shot on my mine. Your brain can only think of one thing at a time, but it can float back and forth about many things. With indecision running around upstairs, my focus is not 100% on the shot being executed. Missed again, darn-it!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

phil in sofla
01-01-2004, 09:51 AM
I have found that sometimes I end up shooting the first shot (and making it!), despite thinking I'd changed my mind, and so far as I knew, lining up the other shot.

The point, I think, is that the subconscious mind responsible for executing shots is a relative moron (although a genius at what it does). That is, if you've given it the instruction input as to what you want done (via visualization), the rational mind's decision to change that does not equally instruct the subconscious mind as to the change, and how to do the alternate shot.

So you're on the right track. You have to reset, re-visualize the new shot as thoroughly as the original shot, and then, with the pre-shot routine solidifying the new decision, and your mind only on the new imagery, you can execute the new shot.

Naturally, if you have lingering thoughts of the prior shot choice hanging around, that will cloud the imagery and visualization of the newer shot, and sometimes, you'll end up shooting something in the middle of the two.

One way to help the new shot to fully take the place of the prior decided shot is to REALLY re-set everything. That is, step away from the table, and get your line and mental rehearsal on the new shot. If you try to do this in mid-stance form, or in the middle of practice stroking, you're probably not going to get the full re-setting you need.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you are already doing what I'm saying, so this may not be a helpful suggestion.

cheesemouse
01-01-2004, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>

Do you have a trick for switching to an aleternate choice???sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

I have a trick I play on my own mind when I have just gotten out of line on an easy out and have started to self-flagellate either silently, verbally outloud or with body langue. I stop the flogging and return to my spot/nest turning my back to the table. I may even sit for a second. I return to the table with this thought in my head. "I can't believe this guy dogged that easy out and left me this shot, I didn't think I was going to shot again but he dogged it and let me back at the table". Thankfully, I have a simple mouse mind and this trickery will work on me, changing a negative situation into a positive one. Kind of like what Phil cited.

This changes my negative self-abuse into a joyful pleasant trip to the table.

Sid, perhaps your mind is this simple and trickery will work for you in switching shot selection also.......HAHAHAHA /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
01-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Possibilities, possibilities! This analogy kinda lines up with the advice I gave in an earlier thread about the syndrome of always losing the first game of competition, telling yourself that you LIKE that game, cuz it's a snag for the other guy too. The two ideas seem feasable in a similiar way(imo) I'll give that a try...sid

JimS
01-01-2004, 11:48 AM
VERY good Cheese! That's an excellent idea.

In counseling we call it a re-frame. You put a new frame around the picture in your head, or offer a new description of the situation at hand.

c.holtz009
01-01-2004, 02:51 PM
This has plagued me also. I'll try some of this great advice.
It's kind of funny that we can fool such a complex thing as our mind...

Rod
01-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Well changing my mind doesn't happen all that often. When it does I do step back and re-evaluate. I have to be convinced that I fully like the change, if not then it's back to the original plan.

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
01-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Sid,

It's very RARE that I change my mind. I usually 'TRUST' what I am about to do.

"Doubts" or "switching off" (as you call it) would really throw my game off, and has before.

I am a firm beleiver in "Trusting" my skill and execution and 'Accepting' the results (regardless of the outcome).

When I started to practice, and then compete, with these mental thoughts, I learned that I could execute more consistanly and enjoy my playing more.

I'm still not at the PRO level, but I do enjoy being to play with more confidence.

CarolNYC
01-02-2004, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
have to be convinced that I fully like the change <hr /></blockquote>
I agree-you have to be totally committed to your decision and not the least bit hesistant whether you made the right choice or not!
Carol:)

Sid_Vicious
01-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Maybe I play a faster pace than you and sometimes blur into a position which offers an alternate, even simpler way to see a win, but I do find my run outs offering me what many times are credible choices besides the 3-ball ahead plan I started with. I used to merely go ahead with plan "A" and never change, but have been warned by both observers and my own self that I really "should have shot that different." If I never got out of line I'd always play my first shot, but I ain't got that good yet. I am still very much in the formative years for this game, even though I've been playing a lot for the last 8 years. Thanks...sid

01-02-2004, 11:31 AM

Sid_Vicious
01-02-2004, 11:51 AM
"Sid, if you are doing this at all, you have not disciplined yourself well enough."

Are you talking about changing shots selections, changing and then missing, or getting out of line? Please be patient, I'm really trying to glean the best from the best.

Thanks,
Sid