PDA

View Full Version : billiard ball differences

peterk
01-02-2004, 05:43 AM
I am curious what the difference is between cheap and expensive balls are. We have recently purchased a table and the balls that came with it are probably junk. I notice that when the cue ball rolls very slowly it doesn't roll true. I am guessing that the resin in the ball is not consistant. Am I on glue or is that what constitutes a "a cheap ball"? If this is the case, what would you guys recommend? Which set in the Aramith line should a recreational player consider?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-02-2004, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote peterk:</font><hr> ...I notice that when the cue ball rolls very slowly it doesn't roll true. ...

...Which set in the Aramith line should a recreational player consider? <hr /></blockquote>

I would guess any of the Aramiths would be better than what you got /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fred Agnir
01-02-2004, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote peterk:</font><hr> I am curious what the difference is between cheap and expensive balls are. We have recently purchased a table and the balls that came with it are probably junk. I notice that when the cue ball rolls very slowly it doesn't roll true. I am guessing that the resin in the ball is not consistant. Am I on glue or is that what constitutes a "a cheap ball"? <hr /></blockquote> A lot of things constitute "cheap balls." The material that Aramith uses for most of their billiard and pool balls are as good as it gets. Their sound,density, rebound, wear/burn/chip resistance separates them from most other manufacturers. Their processing is also of a higher quality. I have a set of cheap balls that have chipped and even exploded most likely due to poor processing of the material (cast phenolic resin).

[ QUOTE ]
If this is the case, what would you guys recommend? Which set in the Aramith line should a recreational player consider? <hr /></blockquote> Aramith Premiers (numbers in the stripes of the striped balls) or Aramith Crowns (numbers in the white area of the striped balls) would probably be your best economically. If you can swing the cash, Aramith Super Pros or Brunswick Centennials (made by Aramith) are two of the top three or four balls sets, IMO. Best buys that I've found are at http://www.billiardsexpress.com.

Fred

SPetty
01-02-2004, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>I have a set of cheap balls that have chipped and even exploded most likely due to poor processing of the material (cast phenolic resin).<hr /></blockquote>Hi Fred,

I think it would be great if you'd post the link to those pictures when you mention your balls. I haven't ever bookmarked them, but I enjoy seeing your busted balls when you post the link! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

peterk
01-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks Fred. So it is worth spending the extra bucks to get the Pros? We play at least four times pre week, but we are far from competitive.

Can you actually wear out balls?

KGeeED
01-07-2004, 12:21 PM
I have been using Brunswick Centennials for 30 years. The only problem I have now is the ring around the numbers is starting to pop out. The balls still look like new. One of the diffences between cheap balls and high end is the liveliness. The high end balls will move with very little force. Try hitting the different balls and you will see what I am referring to. I have also found that Gel-Gloss one step cleaner and polish works great on the balls. Can be bought at Home Depot. I just bought another set of Centennials and was told to be sure that you get the commercial grade. They have a thicker finish. Bought them from Billiard Warehouse.

Fred Agnir
01-07-2004, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote peterk:</font><hr> Thanks Fred. So it is worth spending the extra bucks to get the Pros? We play at least four times pre week, but we are far from competitive.

Can you actually wear out balls? <hr /></blockquote>I think they're worth it.

Fred

woody_968
01-07-2004, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote peterk:</font><hr> I notice that when the cue ball rolls very slowly it doesn't roll true.<hr /></blockquote>

I bought a cheap set for my table until I can afford the ones I want, probably Centinials. Anyway, my 15 ball almost does circles when it finally comes to a stop. If I get the heavy spot in just the right place it will almost make a 90 degree turn LOL.

ras314
01-07-2004, 08:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> I bought a cheap set for my table until I can afford the ones I want, probably Centinials. Anyway, my 15 ball almost does circles when it finally comes to a stop. If I get the heavy spot in just the right place it will almost make a 90 degree turn LOL. <hr /></blockquote>

Sell that thing for a "trick" ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ryushen21
01-08-2004, 08:21 AM
I was actually curious about this myself. My school team is about to purchase a nice set of balls and we had looked into the elephant marbled balls and the super aramith pro set. I have heard nothing but good stuff about the aramiths but nothing about the elephant set. so does anyone know or have opinions about those?