PDA

View Full Version : mcdermott cues

gnef
01-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Hey guys, i currently own a scorpion cue, and am getting a bit tired of it, and may be able to sell it to a friend. I started looking around a bit more, and was interested in the mcdermott genesis or metal x 'mg' series cues. I tried searching for them, but could only find one post of a person who owned a genesis cue.

What do you guys think of the genesis and/or metal x series? (i would like to stay within that price range)

thanks,

-Mel

tateuts
01-02-2004, 11:48 PM
I think you will be pleased with a McDermott cue. McDermotts generally play just fine. The Genesis looks like a good basic production cue and I think a good deal for the money - you can get them online for around $130. They know how to make a good cue and have great customer service too. The wood to wood joint is excellent. Later on, if you want a custom shaft, they can make one up for you reasonably.

I would stay away from the painted cues myself but to each his own.

Chris

Wally_in_Cincy
01-03-2004, 08:14 AM
McDermott makes a quality cue. If you like the hit and the feel of the McD you will be pleased with their performance and quality.

I own two and that's all I shoot with.

I'm not too crazy about the metal look. In the long run you might be happier with the cherry

cherry McD (http://www.mcdermottcue.com/PAGES/McDCues/Genesis%20Series/MG9.htm)

or the English Walnut. I have one quite similar to this, but I ordered it with a stainless steel collar, just because I liked the look. The joint is still wood-to-wood and it hits great:

english (http://www.mcdermottcue.com/PAGES/McDCues/Genesis%20Series/MG3.htm)

have fun shopping /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Harold Acosta
01-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Visit Mueller's Recreational Products at www.poolndarts.com (http://www.poolndarts.com) and you'll find the McDermott's there. You can pay with credit card or send a money order in.

Here's the link for the cues you are looking for:

http://www.poolndarts.com/store.cfm/cat/4.cfm

recoveryjones
01-03-2004, 04:28 PM
There's a maintainance/handiman who works in our pool room who has about 6 or 7 pool cues many of which were given to him.He's an older guy, a crazy frenchman named Claude. He's actually a nice guy.Anyways one of his cues is an older Mcdermott.A pool player in our hall loved that cue so much that he kept offering Claude more and more and more money for it with each time Claude saying NO!!! Finally Claude got so angry with the guy pestering him that he took a saw and cut an inch or so off the butt.Upon seeing the guy again he asked him,"Now do you want to buy it?" The guy was literally crushed.I tried the Mcdermott out recently and man I must say that it hits fabulous even with the inch or so cut off.I can see why the guy wanted to buy it so bad and why Claude wouldn't sell it.I have no idea how the new McDermotts hit however if it hits anything like this old McDermott, you can't go wrong.

gnef
01-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I need to check to see if my friend still wants to buy... heh. if not, i may have two pool cues, or just wait a bit...

How do you guys think the Mcdermotts compare to lucasi and cuetecs in the same price range (buy for around 140 or so)?

-Mel

PQQLK9
01-03-2004, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> a crazy frenchman named Claude.
Finally Claude got so angry with the guy pestering him that he took a saw and cut an inch or so off the butt.<hr /></blockquote>
Seems to me that this character should stay in the back and away from people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

recoveryjones
01-03-2004, 06:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> a crazy frenchman named Claude.
Finally Claude got so angry with the guy pestering him that he took a saw and cut an inch or so off the butt.<hr /></blockquote>
Seems to me that this character should stay in the back and away from people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Actually Nick,Claude is for the most part a pretty great guy.The other guy was so relentless(bugging him constantly day after day) in his pursuit of Claudes McDermott cue that Claude snapped.Claude lets me and a few others stay after hours for free pool on many occasions. When I don't have to work the next day this is much appreciated.Many people like him and have given him their old cues.Someone gave him a $1000 Schon however he still loves that Mcdermott.Still if it were me I don't think I would have went so far as to cut up a cue so I can see your point.My point was that the only McDermott(Claudes sawed off one) I ever hit felt great. Take care, RJ

woody_968
01-04-2004, 02:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote gnef:</font><hr>
How do you guys think the Mcdermotts compare to lucasi and cuetecs in the same price range (buy for around 140 or so)?

-Mel
<hr /></blockquote>

Out of the three you list hear, I would go for the Mcdermott without thinking twice!!!

gnef
01-05-2004, 12:32 AM
how about others in the price range?

-Mel

Iowashark
01-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Viking makes a great cue and the starting price ranges are about 150-200. Go to www.seyberts.com (http://www.seyberts.com) for the best prices on Viking's. Of the ones you mentioned before, I would definitely go with McDermott if you wanted to keep in around 130.