PDA

View Full Version : Billy Weirs closes in Texas

Kato
01-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Spoke to Rackemup today (yep, he's still alive) and he told me that great deal the Texans used to get is no more.

Eg8r, lucky you got out when you did. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Apparently the rats in Texas are keeping Ken rather busy.

Kato

Sid_Vicious
01-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Billy should have done a better market study on that location. The PH was supreme with a capital "S". Too bad it sat where it did(IMO.) sid

eg8r
01-03-2004, 08:10 AM
LOL, I got out when a better thing was presented to me.

It was only a matter of time before that pool hall closed. They had like 30 or so Diamond tables, and only 4 tops were being used all day long. Only time the place looked busy was late at night after 11 PM.

eg8r <~~~~Loved playing at Billy Weirs

Wally_in_Cincy
01-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Just curious, what was wrong with the location?

OnePocketChamp
01-03-2004, 09:02 AM
This was a great pool room, excellent equipment, plenty of room between tables and the seating for the "rail rats" was in nice cushioned chairs, not to mention a great price for the regulars ($50/mth with unlimited play and no time restrictions). The location IMO was terrible, it was on the far West side of Fort Worth, 28 miles from Arlington and 55 miles from Dallas, this made it very tough to draw any of that traffic. But the real reasons this place couldn't make it IMO are:
1. Management had no clue how to run a pool hall (no tournaments, little interest in league play and no food).
2. Waitresses were all pleasant to talk with but try to get them to come by your table and take a drink order, almost impossible.
3. Music volume was always set at the "deafening" level, but the good news is I found I love the song "Supermen" by Eminem.
4. They tried to gear this great place to the early 20's dance crowd and not center their efforts toward gaining a share of the pool business Fort Worth has to offer.

I step down from my soap box, take cues in hand and head for my favorite PH. eg8r I miss you man!!!!!!!

Sid_Vicious
01-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Let's face it OPC, management was in reverse, and I think you know what I mean. Billy himself should have come on sight for the ramp up, or at least to see why it wasn't floating before it actually sank....sid~~~blood must me "denser" than water

Lemme add something more though. Maybe $50 monthly is a good deal for die hards, it is, but the one time I went there and played maybe 3 hours, my close out tab was over $100. I did drink mind you, but I don't consume THAT much! It, IMO, was not cost friendly to my kind of drift in/drift out players.

Wouldn't it have been a nice major WPBA stop though. It needed something to open itself up with. sv

Qtec
01-03-2004, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe $50 monthly is a good deal for die hards, it is, but the one time I went there and played maybe 3 hours, my close out tab was over $100. I did drink mind you, but I don't consume THAT much! <hr /></blockquote>

$100 for just drinks?

Did you question the bill?

Q

Sid_Vicious
01-03-2004, 10:47 AM
My point was to express what my table cost had to have been. Opening a tab in an unfamiliar place was my fault...well I'll blame rackmup, NAAA just kidding Ken. You fed us one hell of a pizza, and spun yarns as only rackmup could, thanks! I had that much fun, but I was really stunned at the end total...sid

PQQLK9
01-03-2004, 10:49 AM
So sorry to hear this. I used to enjoy the reports from the Tx crew. Give my regards to Ken.

ras314
01-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Anybody know if those Diamond tables are for sale?

If so who would I contact?

eg8r
01-03-2004, 10:57 AM
You could not have said it better.

Miss my saturday lessons in the art of one pocket with OPC.

eg8r

eg8r
01-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Sid, the management there was basically 2 people...1 older guy who did not care about anything except getting as many names into the computer to charge for time, and the other was the drugged up "looking" son, who appeared to walk like a chicken. It was quite evident the son had no intentions on running a pool hall, instead it seemed he would rather run quiet deals in the back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as Billy, I saw more of his out-of-state family in there, than I ever saw Billy. He was never there, and when he was, he went straight back to his office and hid.

There was one night around 6ish, and the room actually had around 20 people there. There were families at the pool hall (I was pretty amazed). Well, junior shows up to run the show and walks immeadiately to the office and cranks up the music. It did not take a half hour before the entire place was emptied out. He was too stupid to realize he was running people out of the pool hall.

As far as the high tab, I don't doubt that one bit. I usually did not complain about the prices of drinks there because that was all I was paying for (I had the membership and one day of pool would pay it off). However, unless you were friends with the waitress, you would get screwed on the soft drinks. They would give you the smallest glass available and fill it with ice first. Since we were friends with a couple of the servers, they would give me a beer glass and "light" on the ice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The "older" manager told me that there was no reason to have a weekly tournament, since he would "probably" lose money. I asked him what he thought about the exposure of having a tournament, and he said he did not care, "Not enough will continue to play here". Instead of attracting some new business, they were content on running off the regular business.

One time junior had a great idea, lets put a dance floor in, right next to the very nice Diamond 9 footers. What a joke. I have trouble believing these are the same people running a successful hall in Adessa (or where ever the other hall is located).

eg8r &lt;~~Sorry for being winded

eg8r
01-03-2004, 11:14 AM
It was at the farthest western point you could go before you hit desert. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All the players in the DFW area are in Dallas and Arlington. Even if this pool hall was located on the other side of fort worth it would have done better.

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
01-03-2004, 11:21 AM
I've been to the one in Odessa, a nice darkish pool room atmosphere, nothing as elaborate as the FW house, but "homey." I can't imagine somebody throwing an investment down a rat hole without personally managing the "whys." Such a waste...I think Billy should send me a 9' Diamond as a parting gift, don't you? DIAMONDS TO THE FIRST 20 RESPONDENTS! Whatcha say? ;-) sid

SPetty
01-03-2004, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Maybe $50 monthly is a good deal for die hards, it is, but the one time I went there and played maybe 3 hours, my close out tab was over $100. I did drink mind you, but I don't consume THAT much! It, IMO, was not cost friendly to my kind of drift in/drift out players.<hr /></blockquote>Hi Sid,

I agree that the cost was outrageous, but to be fair, we were there more like 6-7 hours, and my couple of shots were on your tab as well. I suspect that they had a rather high per-person charge (rather than per table charge), and you got stuck with my table time as well.

We were fortunate to be the only ones in there for almost five hours - no loud music at the time. It was a great place. Maybe they opened it only for some kind of tax writeoff? It's pretty obvious that they didn't intend to make a go of it...

Glad to hear Ken is still alive... Is OPC married yet?

Troy
01-03-2004, 11:50 AM
OPC,,, Where is RACKMUP ??? Haven't anything from him for a long time.

Troy

Sid_Vicious
01-03-2004, 11:55 AM
I forgot about you getting me drunk on those doubles of Josey,,,corrupted my flawless reputation you did ;-) Yea I forgot about the total time, it happens when you are with such fun people! And we have to remember that superb way we cut across that grassy in-field by-passing the traffic jam...good driving!!!!sid~~~wished he could redo the day again, even for the hundred, it was FUN, and I got Barb's special nuts to boot, what a day it was

Wally_in_Cincy
01-03-2004, 12:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> It was at the farthest western point you could go before you hit desert. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Aha! I've seen the edge of that desert. I once drove from Midland to Foat Wuth in just over 4 hours. Hit a starling at 100 mph. Cracked the grille on my Olds /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SPetty
01-03-2004, 05:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> ...it was FUN ... what a day it was...<hr /></blockquote>Yes, it was /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato
01-03-2004, 10:02 PM
He's working 1 billion hours per week. He may lurk on occasion but unfortunately I'm not sure when we'll see Ken again.

Kato

eg8r
01-03-2004, 11:47 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

rackmup
01-05-2004, 03:01 PM
To survive, they would need to:

1. Hire a POOL HALL Manager, not the dopey brother. He was too stoned from "Herb Research" in his Ford Ranger to know what the hell he was doing most of the time.
2. Keep Billy's son, Toby, in rehab and when you finally have him off the crank, ship him to Iraq where that crap is acceptable (just what do you think Saddam was smoking in that hole?)
3. Put the place in a spot more condusive to the mainstream pool player demographics. East Fort Worth or Central Arlington would have ensured success even with "Dopey &amp; Doped-Up" running the joint.
4. Like a gas pedal with a block of wood behind it to keep the young-un's from speeding, place a tolerable MAX VOLUME level on the friggin' juke box.
5. During interviews for waitstaff, ask, "Do you know the definition of Customer Service?" If they struggle, send 'em down the road. Eight hour one-hole sessions make a guy thirsty and when you have to search for the beer-gal, it just starts to sting a little when paying that day-long tab.
6. Food other than chips and $1.50 bags of pretzels.

That's for starters but it's too late now. The Diamond Pro's will probably be sold by the DEA when all is said and done.

Regards,

Ken (alive and lurking &amp; still not afraid to call it as I see it.)

#### leonard
01-06-2004, 08:04 AM
I couldn't resist telling this story again, when I read about putting in the dance floor and the Diamond tables.

I played in the 1968 Salt City Open at the Holiday Bowl in Syracuse,NY. I was sitting at the lunch counter before the tourney started and was talking to Don Cataline the manager, when I looked out on the Bowling lanes and they were covered over with plywood. I asked Don what is going on, he said they have dances every Thursday during the summer. How is that going I asked? Great do you want to hear a good story?

Yes I replied, he started with he was booking with an Agent from Utica he said he had someone who needed gigs, he has a record out and was looking for work. So he booked him for $1500 and he was to appear on the ninth week of the summer. No sooner had he put up the list of bands for the summer, his record broke into the top 40 and every week his record moved up till the week before his scheduled appearance when it broke into the top 10.

Don discussed what to do with the owner who said you can't take someone to court over $1500 the lawyers will get all the money. Just book the band that is there this week if their available which he did. Then he waited for the cancellation.

Finally on the day of his appearance, his secretary said here is your phone call. The fellow on the phone said this is Neil Diamond, can you tell me how to get to your location. The surprised manager gave him directions and when Neil arrived, he questioned why the other band was set up. Don told him we didn't think you would appear to which Neil replied when you booked me we needed the work, I would never have missed this gig. ####

#### leonard
01-06-2004, 08:08 AM
I forgot the best part of the story Neil drew over 6,000 people. They put the other band in the parking lot and made over $25,000 for the night.####

eg8r
01-06-2004, 09:48 AM
LOL, I bet that was the best night ever. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I still cannot believe Billy allowed the dance floor at the pool hall.

eg8r

eg8r
01-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Hey Ken, good to see you on the board. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I completely forgot about the chips and pretzels in my rant. I could not believe the bag of pretzels being sold for $1.50 when it had $.99 stamped right on the bag. I laughed when I saw that the first time, after that, we always ordered out for food.

eg8r &lt;~~~Misses the long Saturdays at the pool hall.

#### leonard
01-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Eg8r the manager also said they gave Neil $5,000 for the night. It was one of the the best operations I ever saw. 72 lanes in a fan 24/24/24 a nite club/snack bar and outside the entrance to a 26 table poolroom that to this day compares with any room as far as being a beautiful room. ####