PDA

View Full Version : ZoneAlarm Pro/CCB post problems

ras314
01-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Since updating ZoneAlarm I've been unable to post without shutting down ZA. Anybody know what has to be allowed?

Error message "The host you are trying to send the input from is not a valid host."

Rich R.
01-04-2004, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Since updating ZoneAlarm I've been unable to post without shutting down ZA. Anybody know what has to be allowed?

Error message "The host you are trying to send the input from is not a valid host."
<hr /></blockquote>
Since the problems with the CCB at Christmas, I have not been able to post any messages.

The CCB administrator referred me to the section of the FAQ which deals with the message you, and I, are receiving.
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/faq_english.php?Cat=#validhost

I didn't change any of my privacy/security settings and, unless there was any automatic update to my Norton security, I don't understand the reason for the problem.

I believe the CCB changed something which is, obviously, not compatible with some of our security programs.

If anyone has a fix, I would appreciate it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BTW, I disabled my Norton program, to allow me to make this post, but I don't want to make that a habit.

SPetty
01-04-2004, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I believe the CCB changed something ...<hr /></blockquote>There is no doubt that the CCB changed something. I suspect something happened, then they think they put it back like it's supposed to be, but they've obviously missed an important part of the fix.

I sure am gonna miss you guys!

ras314
01-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Rich R is right, I think I updated ZA before the board changed and the ccb changed something.

ras314
01-04-2004, 11:29 AM
Egad! I reset defaults in ZA, used password protection, changed password for ccb forums. Now post work like normal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
01-05-2004, 05:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Egad! I reset defaults in ZA, used password protection, changed password for ccb forums. Now post work like normal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I attempted this, but it did not seem to work for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Of course, I am a computer incompetent and I may have screwed something up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I still can't post, without turning Norton off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I hope I don't have the same situation when I get back to my work computer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

bluewolf
01-05-2004, 07:38 AM
I dont know what zone alarm is and do not have it but do not have any problems posting on ccb, as long as I use ie and not netscape. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Laura

ras314
01-05-2004, 08:21 AM
Rich...I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro version 45.538.000 which may be different than yours. To reset things I reinstalled the pgm. no idea if that made any difference. At any rate changing the ccb password seemed to be what worked. Damn I'm having problems keepin up with all thos passwords.

I'm not quite computer illerate, just software stupid. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Larua...ZoneAlarm is a firewall pgm with some whistles and bells.

ras314
01-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Oops, just noticed you are talking about Norton. Since so many people are using it without a problem seems like it may not be your trouble. I've updated Norton, no problem with posting.

I seem to vagely remember an old post of yours concerning ZA alerts so I just didn't pay attention. My bad.

Rich R.
01-06-2004, 05:25 AM
Well, I'm back at work today, for a few hours. I attempted a post to the CCB from my work computer and it worked.
I can tell you that the security programs, where I work, are much more complicated than the standard Norton program I use at home.

Obviously, whatever changes the CCB has made, do not like the Norton Security programs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I would appreciate any help that can be provided. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
The CCB has not responded to my follow-up message to them. Either they do not want to help or they don't have a clue.

ras314
01-06-2004, 06:50 AM
I'm using Norton System Works 2003 Professional Edition and can't see anything that should cause your problem. But I admit to being ignorant. Maybe a post indicating a pblm with Norton rather than ZA would get some response. Someone like 9 ball girl or heater451 might have ideas.

Might try clearing cookies also. I use window washer on a routine basis to clear all kinds of junk.

Good luck.

bluewolf
01-06-2004, 07:00 AM
When I was using norton sw and norton firewall, my scroll bar would not work. instead of just going down a little, it went all the way down to my post i was trying to write. I had to use the arrow keys. Someone asked me what I was running in the background. i had 256 ram and it showed that 70% of my resources were being used. When i took off firewall, things were a little better, but not much.

I am wondering if norton is a memory hog and better for computers with lots of memory. Perhaps there is another av program that does not hog as much memory.

Laura

Rich R.
01-06-2004, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> I'm using Norton System Works 2003 Professional Edition and can't see anything that should cause your problem. But I admit to being ignorant. Maybe a post indicating a pblm with Norton rather than ZA would get some response. Someone like 9 ball girl or heater451 might have ideas.

Might try clearing cookies also. I use window washer on a routine basis to clear all kinds of junk.

Good luck. <hr /></blockquote>
I'm assuming the problem is between my Norton program and the CCB programs, because, if I disable Norton, I am able to post. That is where my knowledge ends.

I have cleared the cookies several times and I have also entered the Billiards Digest web site, as a trusted site. Nothing has worked.

I will have to track down a contact with Norton to see if they can help.

Rich R.
01-06-2004, 08:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
I am wondering if norton is a memory hog and better for computers with lots of memory. Perhaps there is another av program that does not hog as much memory.<hr /></blockquote>
I have plenty of memory. That is not the problem.
I never had a problem at all, before the CCB was down for a few days around Christmas. I made no changes in my computer during that time, but when the CCB came back up, I couldn't post.

Either Norton had an automatic update during that time, or the CCB changed some things, to cure their problems, which resulted in my problems.

Ross
05-01-2004, 05:55 AM
Hey Rich,
Did you ever solve this? I just encountered the same problem and figured out how to fix it. Under the ZA privacy tab, I set www.billiardsdigest.com (http://www.billiardsdigest.com) to allow "Private Headers" and voila, I was again allowed to post.

Rich R.
05-01-2004, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Hey Rich,
Did you ever solve this? I just encountered the same problem and figured out how to fix it. Under the ZA privacy tab, I set www.billiardsdigest.com (http://www.billiardsdigest.com) to allow "Private Headers" and voila, I was again allowed to post. <hr /></blockquote>
Ross, reread my posts. I don't have ZA. I have Norton.
The only way I can post, from my home computer, is to disable the Norton, send the post, and re-enable the Norton. I hate to do it that way, but that is the only way it works.
I don't have the same problem with all other message boards, but I do have it with some.
I have attempted several other things, but nothing has worked. I also have to disabel the Norton, to receive internet updates for several of my programs.

highsea
05-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Rich, what Norton version are you using?

-CM

Ross
05-01-2004, 05:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Ross, reread my posts. I don't have ZA. I have Norton.
The only way I can post, from my home computer, is to disable the Norton, send the post, and re-enable the Norton. I hate to do it that way, but that is the only way it works....
<hr /></blockquote>

Rich, I thought I only had one version of CRS (Can't Remember Shxx), but now I see I have strain 2 as well (Can't Read Shxx).

A lot of help I am. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rich R.
05-02-2004, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> Rich, what Norton version are you using?

-CM <hr /></blockquote>
I'm using Norton Internet Security.

Rich R.
05-02-2004, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> I thought I only had one version of CRS (Can't Remember Shxx), but now I see I have strain 2 as well (Can't Read Shxx). <hr /></blockquote>
Ross, I've been suffering from both Strains 1 and 2, for many years. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

highsea
05-03-2004, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I'm using Norton Internet Security.
<hr /></blockquote>

Try this Rich,

Open NIS.

Click Options.

Click Internet Security (or Personal Firewall).

Click Advanced Options.

Click the Web tab.

Click Add Site. A new site/domain box appears.

Enter the url of the site that you want to receive the referrer information and click OK. That site name appears in the left frame of the Advanced Options window.

Click the name of the new site.

Click the Privacy tab.

Check the "Use these rules for..." box.

Change the Referrer from "Block" to "Allow."

Click Apply, and then click OK.

Click OK to close the Options window.

-CM