PDA

View Full Version : 9-ball Can Be Cruel

Sid_Vicious
01-03-2004, 11:30 AM
As Tom Cruise stated at then beginning of the COM, "Someone can run all the balls to the 9, miss the 9 and lose." Well, yesterday I proved that more than once. I had a good stroking day, running completely to the 9, position was beautiful(9 could have been closer), and yet that yellow stripped beast bit me more than once. I know, this is not new, and I'm not complaining, I feel I played well and I liked that even though I did not finish. Nineball, love the game, but it can be a cruel mother...sid

Popcorn
01-03-2004, 12:48 PM
You can say that about almost any sport. If you fight nine good rounds and get caught with a knock out punch in the tenth, that's, that. Race a perfect race and break down in the final lap, you lose. The thing is, it is not all for nothing. Competing on any level regardless of the outcome, is what it is all about, not just winning. You come away with something almost every time you play and there is no end to it, just a continuous stream of play for as long as you play the game. Like a business you should not live and die based on one day. You check your books maybe weekly or quarterly and see where you stand and what is happening. One good day does not make a success, nor a bad one a failure. The point is, where are you compared to last year at this time have you improved? If you play any amount I bet you have, and the loses had as much to do with it as did the wins, maybe more. I am never unhappy playing pool, honestly. I feel lucky, I have friends who spend hundreds of thousands on boats fancy cars and the such looking for some source of happiness, I get it from a silly game that I would rather do then just about anything else. I bet I am not alone in this feeling

Pelican
01-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Well stated popcorn. I imagine you and I are both to the age that it doesn't take near as much material things to make us happy as it once did and simple pleasures are much more satisfying.

PQQLK9
01-03-2004, 02:23 PM
tap...tap...tap...

UWPoolGod
01-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Yeah I was playing a few cheap sets this weekend when I was in Seattle and won the first playing great. The the second came around and BAM!!!....3 missed 9balls an 8ball. Gave that one away...still salvaged the next two for a little money. Lack of concentration on tight shimmed 9 footers will do that every time.

Fasteddy7
01-05-2004, 03:56 PM
IMO if you are missing that many nine balls, You are not thinking about getting shape. Something you dont need but should be part of your pre-shot routine. try playing shape with the nine even if you dont need it. You WILL start making more nine balls. Later.........

UWPoolGod
01-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Only one was bad shape..two were about three diamonds apart down the rail next to the side and I clipped the outer tit which made the ball jar. Tight pockets. I had the shape..just blew the shots. After the first one I was like...don't miss this same shot..BRICK...and again later.

JimS
01-05-2004, 04:23 PM
I think he means to pretend you need shape on a shot after the nine and shoot the nine like you are shooting shape. Some will say that doing this will make you pay more attention to the shot. It might. And...it's a good idea to make sure you put the cb in a safe spot after potting the 9.

Fred Agnir
01-05-2004, 04:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Only one was bad shape..two were about three diamonds apart down the rail next to the side and I clipped the outer tit which made the ball jar. Tight pockets. I had the shape..just blew the shots. After the first one I was like...don't miss this same shot..BRICK...and again later. <hr /></blockquote> I think he was saying that there is an indication that you aren't playing shape when shooting the 9-ball. If you're not (which I suspect you're not), then your approach to shooting at the 9-ball is unlike your approach to shooting the rest of the balls. So, a common tidbit of advice is to play position somewhere when you're shooting the 9-ball. Center of the table is a start.

Fred

Fasteddy7
01-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys. I guess i knew what i was saying but reading it again i see the confusion. Play shape WITH the nine ball. Thanks again...........

UWPoolGod
01-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Yeah I saw the difference when i read your replys also. I'll see if it stops the money ball missing.

jbullerjr
01-05-2004, 06:41 PM
I think that the above is great advice, I was told this many years ago and it seems to work.

It was explained to me like this...

On ever shot your brain is going through three thoughts:

1. Angle/Aiming point
2. Speed
3. Shape after the shot

If you leave out the last one, you are changing the pattern and it seems like your brain says "Arn't we forgetting something?".

jb

RedHell
01-06-2004, 03:41 PM
That's exactly it... I think Alison Fisher mention this on her website somewhere...

One thing I do when I shoot the nine is shorten my bridge a bit. I shoot with a 10 to 12 inch bridge, but on nines I shorten it to about 7 to 8 inch. It reduces the chances to 'CHOKE' the ball with a stressed stroke.. That works for me...

recoveryjones
01-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi Sid,Seems like you were suffering from a TEMPORARY bout of nineballitis that inflicts virtually every pool player from time to time.What really hurts is when you miss that nine ball and you get double punished when the guy breaks the pack on the ensuing break and makes yet another nine ball....OUCH!!! , something that has happened to me before.Paul Potier a local pro saw me concede a guy a nine ball once and told me bluntly afterwards,"Never give anyone anything especially not the nine ball." I've followed that advice (more often, however not religiously YET)and have won a few more sets because of easily missed nine balls.After posting here and reading other posts I think I'm going to repent...LOL and become more devout in my religious endevours. RJ