PDA

View Full Version : Please Explain in Detail SET PAUSE FINISH FREEZE

bigbro6060
01-03-2004, 06:53 PM
could someone pls explain this to me in detail ?

cheers

Happy new year all !

JimS
01-03-2004, 07:23 PM
How about a guess to get it started...as I've not been a student of RangyG.

Set: While standing do your aiming, make your plan, get down get verification of aim line and shape line, do your warmup strokes....you're all SET to shoot.

Pause: last stroke, pause after pulling the cue back, like Buddy Hall or Allsion.

Finish: follow thru

Freeze: Don't freaking move until either the cb or the ob or both stop moving. If you get up, move, tap your toe or swallow...hell even blink and you are going to get punished /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JimS....likes that punishment /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

How'd I do all you guys & gals that know first hand what that stuff really means? Surely I'm not tooo far off. CC never used zactly that language when he took it upon hisself to raise me from a pup but that's what he learned me. (won't repeat the language he DID take it upon himself to use! Gee Whillikers! Us sweeds are not known to be real quick on the up-take and them I-talyans aint known to be the most....well...nuff said here to have dug a right good sized hole and my Daddy always said "Boy...Ah said Boy..ifan you want outta dat hole the first thang you got to do is stop diggin") This post shudda been done way back there....

nhp
01-04-2004, 03:10 AM
I think the pause means a pause while at the cueball instead of the backstroke, or it can be both. Pausing at the cueball is one thing I have found to be very useful, it helps you focus and make sure everything feels right before you execute the shot.

Chris Cass
01-04-2004, 05:32 AM
I only know what the 4 F club stands for and I don't live by those principals, since getting married. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

dg-in-centralpa
01-04-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm with you on that CC. I don't miss those days anymore. Too much trouble.

DG - was a member of the 4 F club

Sid_Vicious
01-04-2004, 09:54 AM
"I think the pause means a pause while at the cueball instead of the backstroke, or it can be both"

The pause is useful at both points, yet the back pause is the dominant theory. I use both, emulating B Hall as much as I can. Freezing keeps you down and lets you check your finishing form, like did the elbow drop, or did the arm swing out, did the tip raise up high above the cloth, etc. Don't confuse a "freeze" with a sudden stop, it's just the end of your forward motion coming to it's natural stop, you merely hold that position intentionally...sid

JimS
01-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Shocked! Shocked! That's what I am. I can only think of 3 F's anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tateuts
01-04-2004, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Shocked! Shocked! That's what I am. I can only think of 3 F's anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You forgot the "forget 'em" part.

Chris

Ps. Do you think Chris Cass would mind going by "Chrissie" here on the boards so we don't confuse anyone?

JimS
01-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Nope....got that....what's after that? Find'm first then you know what then forget, then???....find another one? Jeez this is like jr hi days.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

tateuts
01-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Well, I hope "feel" is the one you forgot.

Chris

woody_968
01-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Well I always tried to be the nice guy, so after I found em I fed em /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimS
01-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Fed....phooey. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Feel...that would be the forgotten 1 of the 4 f's .

randyg
01-04-2004, 03:10 PM
bigbro6060: SET-PAUSE-FINISH&amp;FREEZE (SPF). Communication and Language, part of any instructor's tools. In CUE-TECH Pool School, one of the first things we must do is form a line of communication. Thus we can easily work through about 40 workshops in school. SPF is in our MECHANICS workshop on the first day.

SPF is the actual stroking motion denoting where your body/cue should be for each of it's three locations. Instead of teaching the stroke in motion, we elect to teach the stroke in it's non-motion (static) positions. This procedure allows our students a faster learning curve.

Our instructors share a belief with some very successful Golf, Martial Arts or Dance Instructors on how they teach their trade.

So after a small intro, here is the meaning of SPF:

SET: After all "warm up" strokes(or what ever you do), you bring your cue to it's final rest at the cue ball for three purposes.

1.Am I ready?

2.Is that where I want to strike the cue ball?

3. Am I on target?

At this point, the only things moving are your eyes, not your cue. When all your answers are YES, you begin your final smooth backstroke.

Once your cue has reached it's proper backwards goal it must stop. The cue must STOP moving backwards before it can start the forward movement. This slight hesitation is termed a "Pause". It is one of the major "Laws of Physics". All players must PAUSE, some just PAUSE longer than others.

Complete the forward motion of your cue to your Natural FINISH position (indoing so you naturally accelerate through the cue ball). This position differs for all of our students yet each quickly learn their own personal FINISH position.

FREEZE and look at your tip for(direction and altitude)then check your grip hand to make sure it went HOME.

Sorry about the long post. There is so much more involved .....randyg

Chris Cass
01-04-2004, 04:43 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Chris Cass
01-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Hi Randyg,

This is your baby. Jim never heard this from me and I know this is what you teach. Many here will never forget those words. Glad you clarified them for all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
01-04-2004, 04:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>
Ps. Do you think Chris Cass would mind going by "Chrissie" here on the boards so we don't confuse anyone? <hr /></blockquote>

Not to worry my friend. Your the only Chris that counts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif My signature card is, mispelled words, bad grammer and bad punctuation.(sp) As you can tell I don't read much and never did. My claim to fame is I got through "Art of War" and I know Scott Lee. Who doesn't though? LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~accepts Chris as his own unique special person. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
01-04-2004, 04:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> bigbro6060: SET-PAUSE-FINISH&amp;FREEZE (SPF). Communication and Language, part of any instructor's tools. In CUE-TECH Pool School, one of the first things we must do is form a line of communication. Thus we can easily work through about 40 workshops in school. SPF is in our MECHANICS workshop on the first day.

SPF is the actual stroking motion denoting where your body/cue should be for each of it's three locations. Instead of teaching the stroke in motion, we elect to teach the stroke in it's non-motion (static) positions. This procedure allows our students a faster learning curve.

Our instructors share a belief with some very successful Golf, Martial Arts or Dance Instructors on how they teach their trade.

So after a small intro, here is the meaning of SPF:

SET: After all "warm up" strokes(or what ever you do), you bring your cue to it's final rest at the cue ball for three purposes.

1.Am I ready?

2.Is that where I want to strike the cue ball?

3. Am I on target?

At this point, the only things moving are your eyes, not your cue. When all your answers are YES, you begin your final smooth backstroke.

Once your cue has reached it's proper backwards goal it must stop. The cue must STOP moving backwards before it can start the forward movement. This slight hesitation is termed a "Pause". It is one of the major "Laws of Physics". All players must PAUSE, some just PAUSE longer than others.

Complete the forward motion of your cue to your Natural FINISH position (indoing so you naturally accelerate through the cue ball). This position differs for all of our students yet each quickly learn their own personal FINISH position.

FREEZE and look at your tip for(direction and altitude)then check your grip hand to make sure it went HOME.

Sorry about the long post. There is so much more involved .....randyg <hr /></blockquote>
Randy, God Bless the people like you who give away free lessons.
I can tell you there are a ton of pool instructors hacks out there who spread more disinformation while getting paid.
I told that to Scott too while we were chowing down Thai food. I've seen a few "teachers" play their pupils some "cheap" sets so they can "improve". Scott saw one instructor do this but was not aware. The pupil's bridge length was close to 20 inches and the instructor not once told him to shorten up. I later told Scotty they were playing for "cheap" 20 dollars a set. Scotty almost choked on his pad thai chicken. lol

Chris Cass
01-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Hi Jim,

After reading your post again I want to clear something up. When we met, you already shot very well and all I did was try to incorporate some new mechanics that would compliment your shooting style into Muscle Memory. I also showed you some practice techneques that are valuable to me and those that need to realize there's an alternative method for vision loss.

Please keep in mind and I think RandyG, Scott, and every one whos ever helped anyone with their game would agree. It's always nice to get credit. Somewhat like a pat on the back and for those who make it their living need this to help them prove their skills. However, my point being that. It's the student that really has the major role. It's the student that goes through the agony and hard work that make the instruction really count. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do appreciate your respectful candor. Acquaintances are a dime a dozen but true friends are Priceless.

Sincerely,

C.C.

Chris Cass
01-04-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi Bro,

You've posted quite a few times. Could you give something in the way of your hometown? When you might travel near RandyG's area? He also has a road clinic too. He's a very nice man and knows how to make players. JAT

Regards,

C.C.

Fred Agnir
01-04-2004, 07:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Bro,

You've posted quite a few times. Could you give something in the way of your hometown? When you might travel near RandyG's area? He also has a road clinic too. He's a very nice man and knows how to make players. JAT

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>I'm thinking it's Australia.

Fred

JimS
01-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Well CC, when I say you "raised me from a pup" or you "learned me" I realize you were just showin me a little of what you've learned over the years and certainly you didn't use the language RandyG and other professional instructors use..no question about that.

What I'm talkin about are the 100 mile round trips to Galesburg you made on 3 or 4 occasions to help me become a B player.

I'm talkin about the 3 or 4 afternoons out of your life that you gave to me...and as you've learned this past year, life is pretty dammed short and precious and consequently giving away 3 or 4 afternoons is NOT a little thing.

I'm also talkin about the hundred or more long emails you wrote to me when I was going crazy trying to get it right but you knew that getting it right just takes time. Sure it takes effort too, but even with lots of effort it's going to take time, and you were as patient and kind with me as a good mother...for lack of a better analogy.

I'm talkin about the 3or 4 video tapes of me shootin the same shot over and over that you went over and commented on trying to help me get a decent stroke and pre-shot routine going.

I'm talking about doing all this for a guy you'd met only on the internet, didn't know from Adam and then refusing compensation for doing it. Shoot..I had to STUFF gas money in your pocket to get you to take even that...and on at least one of those occasions you were out of work!

So....I'll take credit for working hard, dammed hard in fact, but I'll tell you what, you are a hell of a guy to do all that stuff for a freakin stranger and you did it not because you were asked...you did it just because that's who you are.

So when I give you credit for "learnin me" or "raisin me from a pup" I guess you'll just have to fade that sh#t because I love the person you are and I'm going to say so every once in a while....but not in public any more /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bigbro6060
01-05-2004, 01:47 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies especially RandyG for his detailed response /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I agree that it is awesome when these top instructors give away great tips for free

Yes i am in Australia and play mostly uk style 8ball but i like the odd game of american style 9ball too

I basically had a pretty good idea of the Set Pause Finish Freeze but just wanted detailed clarification. I did some technique work today focusing on the pause (i think i do the set, finish and freeze quite well) and was amazed at the difference it makes but getting that pause just right is important, too long a pause and u get into second guessing mode

thanks again /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

recoveryjones
01-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Thanks everyone for the most excellent comments on set pause finish freeze.Many of the great snooker champions incorporate these things in their strokes. While pool offers a greater variety (more english used etc) of shots snooker, requires presicion accuracy (no skimming shots to the corner off rails) and a disciplined stroke.Today I was at our local nine ball tourney and the two pros that entered (and met in the final) were x snooker players (one was John Horsfall) and both of them used the set/pause/finish/freeze to perfection on every stroke even the simpilest of shots.The A+ player who came in third was also very methodical and disiplined.While there are talented players out there who can get away without this stuff and still shoot well, I think the majority of us can really benefit from it.I'm trying to incorporate this routine in my game and I know I'll have to groove it to take my game to the next level.Regarding the freeze part of the routine I seem to remember something Jimmy Reid said in his "No time for the negative" video.If I remember correctly Jimmy would count up to two or three (or some sort of freeze routine) keeping his head down frozen after every shot.He also said that he didn't care what people thought because he was winning the tourneys and the cash.Jimmy Reid was regarded by his peers as one of the best and most feared money players of his era.One of the number one reasons people miss shots is because they lift their heads before completion of their stroke.Incorporating the FREEZE is such a valuable thing to do. Great advice from Jimmy...Great advice from this forum. RJ