PDA

View Full Version : Golden West Table - Good Deal or Not?

logixrat
01-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Hey guys, sometime ago I posted about trying to buy a table. Well funds got cut a little short, so I dropped out of the market. Well over Christmas a friend of mine was telling me about someone he knew with a Golden West table. I have heard the name before, and associate them to be fairly good, but don't know the specifics to determine if the deal I'm about to explain is worthwhile or not.

I just got back from looking at the table. It appears to be authentic with manufacturer plates, papers, etc. Played a few games on the table, and it appears to play good. Honestly nothing looked amiss. From the best I can tell, it is the Virginia model. Here is a link for further reference and visual purposes:

http://www.goldenwestbilliards.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=773418&catky=662349

I checked around with a local dealer, and they are asking $1899, plus tax. I'm sure they would squeeze a few dollars, but w/o really negotiating that is the best NEW quote I can get. Of course, that includes some beginner kit with balls, 2 cues, a rack & some cue holders to mount on the wall. Turns out, the cat that has the table for sale bought it from the same shop and his paperwork shows about $1749 for the table. So okay, close enough on NEW price.

The table is in good condition. The cloth isn't brand new, but still playable. Overall age of the table is 2 years, come this March. Apparently the guy is selling cause he got in some trouble hustling, and had to choose his wife & kids or the table. Ouch. He appears to be about a 7 or 8 speed, and table has been used to practice on (and maybe even win a few dollars), but again didn't appear to be physically abused in any manner that was obvious.

Anyhow, he wants a FIRM $750 for the table. It comes with the same beginner kit as the NEW package does. And I would have to haul it about an hour to my house and get it setup. Sound like a good deal or not?

Also, other concerns is that the website says the table has a laminate backing to the slate for support. Perhaps I am stupid, but I thought that backing was plywood. When I crawled under the table it appeared to be a black synthetic material, but had that cool gritty feel kind like slate. When looking at the pockets edge, you can see what appears to be 2 pieces. I'm assuming 1 is the slate, and the other is this "backing" that I'm feeling. Is it indeed black like that now?

Second concern is rather I should try to move this beast whole or not. I know it would be better to disassemble, but I will be moving again when my new house is built, and don't want to re-cloth the table TWICE. Most likely I will move the table myself (with help) both times, and once in the new house have it PROFESSIONALLY leveled. Also, if I do disassemble, can I use the EXISTING cloth and re-stretch it? If so, I will probably disassemble for sure, but you can see the expense of doing this twice.

Anyhow, appreciate any advice you guys can lend to a pool newb like myself. I'd hate to miss out on a good deal, so I'm hoping to get some good & quick responses.

Thanks!
LogixRat
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

woody_968
01-04-2004, 02:45 AM
I have had very little experience with Golden West tables but will tell you my experience with them. Our local pool hall had put a couple of 7' Golden West tables in for a while, nobody wanted to play on them. The problem with the model they had (sorry I do not know which model it was) was that the slat was cut very deep into the pocket and made it play EXTREMLY tight. Running a ball up the rail was much like shooting on a snooker table. I dont know if you play snooker but this can be a very frustrating shot. The slate was so deep you could hang a ball in the pocket, and the ball would be in deeper than the points on the rails so you couldnt play the often needed rail first shot on a hanging ball.

As far as moving it together or apart, I would say take it apart. If you know you will be moving it again soon then put some cheap cloth on it for now and simonis on it when its in its permanent home.

You mentioned when you put it in your new home you would have it profesionaly leveled, I assume you mean set up but want to make sure you understand /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You need to have someone with alot of experience set it up in its final resting place. A good table set up poorly will play like crap, so make sure you get some good recommendations on who to have do it for you.

All in all $750 is not unreasonable for a good table, and this may be one, but I would advise takeing a good look at how deep the slate goes into the pockets. If you can set a ball on the slate inside the corner pockets, and the only way to hit that ball is by shooting straight into it you may not be happy with how it plays.

Ken
01-04-2004, 10:21 AM
This sounds to me like a good deal. It's hard to get a one inch slate at this price and the website seems to claim it is one inch. Just measure carefully to make sure. Take a rail off if necessary.

I would reccomend disassembly and using the old cloth for the time being. You may find you can set it up yourself or with some help stretching the cloth and not need a professional. Get a machinist's level and go slowly leveling the frame (ebay has them). Then leveling the slate should be easy.

If you go with Simonis cloth you might want to get someone experienced since it is tricky but you should be able to level the table yourself. Take your time and you'll do a job better than any mechanic who has to get it done in a hurry to make a profit. I've seen some pretty bad work done by professionals. Setting up a table this new should be easy.
KenCT

Harold Acosta
01-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Just thought you would like to know this information:

Tournament Specifications

Golden West is an active, voting member of the Billiard Congress of America, an organization that sets the rules governing the playability of tournament play today. The playfield and pocket openings of our tables conform to the B.C.A.'s specifications as well as other things you should be aware of. For example, the playability of the table in the form of cushion height, and the angle of the cushion in how it strikes the ball for pure performance, as well as the way in which the rail is anchored to the slate (something your Golden West dealer will explain to you with the aid of a Golden West rail chart).

logixrat
01-04-2004, 05:57 PM
I just wanted to post back, and tell everyone thanks for the info you shared. Also, while I was out today, I decided to run by my only 2 local sources for BRAND NEW quality tables. The nice thing is one of them had the EXACT table setup that I was looking at used. Indeed, it is in the $1800 range which includes delivery & setup, but a cash and carry special of $1199 or $1299 (as the sales guy told me both prices). Of course, they won't warranty the cash & carry specials. Nice thing was I got to compare it to other tables they had in stock such as Brunswick & Olhausen.

Then I stopped by the other place that carries Kasson & AMF tables. And I was rather impressed with the BUILD quality of a Kasson table I saw. It had the standard cross beams that run across the table width, but then it has TWO beams that run longwise down the table. And just overall, it looked solid as a rock. They didn't have one setup for play, just 1/2 assembled so you could see the underside and connections, but again, it was just impressive. Same $1800 price for this table, and $1600 for the cash & carry (but they will still warrany the table as long as you set it up right). Just by looking at the tables from this perspective, hands down I would choose the Kasson. Also, it was nice because this place had bought a Golden West just for the purpose of comparing the 2 tables (since they aren't a regular GW dealer). I got alot of good info & comparing from there.

Also, this guy told me that he'd offer at least $500 for the GW table if I wanted to trade it in later for the Kasson. I thought that was pretty cool considering it was sight unseen. And he straight up told me I should be able to at least make my $$ back, or even make a few dollars extra if I did sell it outright. That made it feel better.

Unfortunately my $$ situation will force to me buy a used table, at least if I do it now. But I feel much better taking a risk with the Golden West. I'd still like to buy it for about $100 cheaper, but the guy just won't budge.

By the way, I have decided to break down the table to move it. I just didn't figure the risk of breaking stuff was worth it. And both dealers confirmed I could re-stretch the EXISTING cloth. That helps as I won't have to spring for any cloth until I upgrade to the Simonis, which I'll pay for rather I buy NEW or USED.

Oh also, in regards to the pockets, I shot several games the other night when I went to look at it, and I didn't notice any irregular "tightness". Of course, this was an 8' table, so maybe it was constructed a little different.

Again, many thanks to all those that contributed. And if anyone else has any comments (bad or good), feel free to chime in.

Take care,
LogixRat
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif