PDA

View Full Version : I need some help please

Kato
01-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Recently we've seen a nice influx of new players in our room and the owner recently approached me about teaching a class so.............starting in February I'm going to be teaching absolute beginners a couple hours a weekend. While extremely interested I approach this with great caution and trepidation because I don't necessarily see myself as particularly qualified. Though having good skills as a verbal communicator (CCB tournaments do not apply /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) I've never necessarily seen myself as a teacher. Of course as Breakers Billiards unofficial "Pool Ettiquette Police" I've managed to step into this one. So I guess the question is this.............................

How do I go about this?

Kato

PS. The reason I'm asking is because I've been mentally preparing my first lesson for the last couple of days and while I've got a million things swimming in my head I'm sure I should just cover a few to begin with.

Popcorn
01-03-2004, 10:51 PM
If you are teaching beginners it should be easy. I would set up a curriculum though, don't just wing it. It should be fun. Don't pretend to be anything more then what you are, be honest. If you are nervous, tell them and it will disarm the situation. For sure tell them a little about the equipment. Pocket sizes, the balls and cues, table sizes and what ever will be of interest. I think that is important.

Qtec
01-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Aaaah! The dreaded absolute beginner class. HaHa LOL

Dont worry, they will be more nervous than you are.A lttle humour is good for putting people at their ease so have a couple of jokes ready.

In any lesson, you start with the basics and then take it from there. With beginners you will find that you will be covering the same ground repeatedly. Be patient, it could take months before your group is able to consistently hit the Qb in a straight line!
Above all involve them in the lesson; ie,dont just lecture, ask questions, get them thinking about what they are doing.
Good luck.

Qtec

randyg
01-04-2004, 09:04 AM
KATO; I'm inviting you to one of CUE-TECH's Road Shows. Why don't you take our Instructors Certification Course to add a little direction and credibility to your resume.

Seeing how you are a friend of Fred, you would certainly qualify for our course. You might bring Fred along as he has a free tune-up comeing.

Please check out www.poolschool.info (http://www.poolschool.info) for our school dates and locations......randyg

Popcorn
01-04-2004, 10:44 AM
I looked at your website, there are no fees. What is the cost of the course? It looks like it is two days, can you turn someone into an Instructor in just two days?

Brian in VA
01-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Happy New Year Kato!

I'm no pool instructor but I have spent about 20 years of my professional life in the training field. Here's how I'd start a beginner's course.

Proper stance, bridging and stroke. Depending on how many people, all at once around the table or individually if there's too many. (All at once is preferred, less chance to embarrass oneself if everyone is working on something.)

Hitting a ball. Not an object ball, a cue ball. Get them shooting them into pockets to get used to hitting a ball and seeing it go into a pocket. Then get them to roll it table length and stop it near the rail - lag shot. Develop a feel for speed.

Hitting an object ball. Set up a dead straight-in short shot and get them making those with medium speed. Work on stop shots.

This would make a good first lesson or first three lessons depending on how much time you have and how much of beginners they are. If you're interested in more info or bouncing some ideas around, email me and we can chat or you can call me.

Brian in VA

Chris Cass
01-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Fred? Tuneup course? He's already a killer.

Hi Randy /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.

Fred Agnir
01-04-2004, 07:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>
So I guess the question is this.............................

How do I go about (teaching) <hr /></blockquote>I don't have any good advice hear. I've done some teaching when people asked me, but I never would have considered doing any teaching without taking lessons first. That is, you can get an awful lot of information on how to teach, if you get taught yourself.

Fred

randyg
01-04-2004, 07:37 PM
POPCORN: All BCA instructors start at the "Recognized" Level. This requires a three day Instructional class with an BCA Advanced or Master Instructor. Working your way up the ranks is the test, becomeing recognized is the first of many steps. I think Kato would enjoy the regimentation that he would learn from our school.

If you would like more info, email at

randyg@poolschool.com

By the way, I know of many recognized instructors who can't teach....yet! randyg

randyg
01-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Hi Chris, see you in Vegas....randyg

nAz
01-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Dude first thing you have to teach is what you already mentioned "Pool Etiquette" and PLEASE teach them to put the chalk back on the rails right side up or better yet take it with them when they leave the table.

Hey a good thing that you will get from this is while teaching them the basics you will probably remind yourself of some basics you may have forgotten and also reinforce what you do remember? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

good luck dude

bluewolf
01-05-2004, 07:06 AM
Stroke, bridge, stance,grip. I leave that stuff up to Scott and Randy.

I found in my classes and lessons I have taken that the basics mentioned above require so much detail that getting a beginner to be able to do those with any decency is very hard work. It also requires practicing those things for at least a month every day before they are getting set to a measurable (not perfect) degree.

Just my experience.

Good luck to you. i think Randy's instructor skill class would be invaluable. While you play well, his class would teach you, I believe how to get all of those things across etc.

Laura

Kato
01-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Eventually Randy I'll have to do that though certainly not because I want to be certified. This is not something I'm being paid for and to go through the personal expense is not in the budget at this time.

I have however been interested in your school for quite a while and have it on my "Things To Do Before I Die" list.

Kato~~~Fred is a far superior cueist than am I /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-05-2004, 08:40 AM
review your scott lee videotape...and take notes

Kato
01-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Is that why he gave me that thing?

Kato~~~can always count on Wally /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#### leonard
01-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Kato I always formed a right angle with my feet then moved the left foot forward and had the cue run parallel to the left foot and over the toe of the right foot. To this day it only takes 5 minutes and I am back as if I never stopped playing.

You could outline footfalls in magic marker on a piece of posterboard and have your students place their feet in your stance. ####

RedHell
01-05-2004, 10:18 AM
OK Kato, Here's my two cents (or 1.5 cents US /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

You will be teaching beginners, which brings me to think that they will not be concerned by stroke perfection or any fundamentals perfection... What I mean is, they will want to see a quick improvement at potting balls. Tho I agree with everyone here that says fundamentals are essentials, they will not realise that and might get bored if it concentrate too much on those.

So, give them the basic quick, tell them how important it is then move to the action where they will have fun.

As for what to teach, we all know it and so do you.

One more thing, show up prepared. Have some documentation to distribute it can be drills, diagrames or pictures, but show up with something.

Good luck, let us know how it went...

Popcorn
01-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Although hands on instruction may be best,. In just a few days, I would guess much of what you teach is the theory of how to teach pool. Do you have any kind of written matter that you sell or give away, that would help someone like, say a room owner, that would like to help their beginning player get going in the game or a person doing what Kato is doing,? There are many good players that although they can play, can't necessarily pass on their knowledge very well. I think quite a few players would like something like that.

Popcorn
01-05-2004, 10:47 AM

"Stroke, bridge, stance,grip. I leave that stuff up to Scott and Randy.

I found in my classes and lessons I have taken that the basics mentioned above require so much detail that getting a beginner to be able to do those with any decency is very hard work. It also requires practicing those things for at least a month every day before they are getting set to a measurable (not perfect) degree."

Everything you mentioned is what you teach a beginner, why would he not teach that to them? It can be hard or easy, that is up to the student, not everyone wants to be pro, but a basic understanding of the game will make it a lot more fun for them. The time frame is not important, pool is a lifetime endeavor some will learn faster then others, some will work harder then others. I don't get your point. .

pooltchr
01-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Kato,
The key thing to remember is Randy and others (myself included) don't teach anyone how to play pool. We try to teach them how to LEARN to play pool. Teaching the fundamentals, working with them so they understand the concepts of draw, follow, etc and then showing them progressive drills they can do on their own. Personally, for about 2 weeks after Randy got done with me, my game went into the basement. It was only after I had the time to apply what I learned during my practice that the real elevation started. You know, it's kinda like the old "give a man a fish" thing. With beginners, the best thing you can do is get the fundamentals down with them, and show them how to develop their own game. Then you become a sort of guidance councellor for them rather than a crutch they are dependent on.

Barbara
01-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Kato,

I would definitely hook up with a BCA Certified Instructor course wherever you can. Like RandyG's. The way he presented his Pool School material in CT when I took the course was impressive and well thought out. It was a progressive course that would hold your new students interests while they learn the fundamentals.

Barbara

Voodoo Daddy
01-05-2004, 04:08 PM
All you have to do is call me....&lt;shakes head&gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

phil in sofla
01-05-2004, 08:11 PM
There's a couple of tapes I have that run through most phases of the mechanics of pool. Jimmy Reid's is one, Fast Eddy's is another. Either would give you an outline of topics to cover, and important points to emphasize. I'll bring them on league night.

The basic issue is how to balance your own talking, your own demonstration, with their getting to try it out and get helpful correction. How many of them there are will really change what you can do in the time allotted. You might need to try to get extra tables, and/or have several people on a table at a time executing the technique, with you walking around. With a smaller group, it's more reasonable to do one at a time, and they'll all learn from seeing each other and your advice to each one.

NBC-BOB
01-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Although I think many would find a review of the basic stance and grip boring I still think it's a good start.
After that and depending on the level of the individual,I think I would let them all play on a table and just walk around and observe them and perhaps make some notes,on each player.You may find that a few need to work on there stance and some may already have a good stance and grip.Then you can come up with some practice exercises tailored to the individual's needs. good luck

Kato
01-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Believe me Steve, there is no way you aren't going to be called. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kato

Scott Lee
01-07-2004, 01:20 PM
RJ...You should, first and foremost, teach them what a good stroke is! You have that already, with your tape from me.
Teach them the first 4 out of 5 drills on the tape. Teach them to practice them the same way you do (or at least you're SUPPOSED to! LOL). Then let them shoot around, and play some simple games...and teach them the correct rules! See how simple that is? LOL

Scott

Scott Lee
01-07-2004, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> review your scott lee videotape...and take notes <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Wally! Smart advice!

woody_968
01-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Now what I want to know is where do you get your hands on one of those Scott Lee tapes? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
01-07-2004, 01:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Now what I want to know is where do you get your hands on one of those Scott Lee tapes? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I have a Scott Lee tape that I fully intend to use for blackmail purposes! (OOPS! Sorry Scott, I guess I wasn't supposed to mention THAT one! LOL)] /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
01-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Get a 2 hour lesson from Scott like I did that magically transforms into 4 1/2 hours, wait a while, and BAM!!!!!!! It magically appears in the mail!!!!!/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

SpiderMan
01-07-2004, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Now what I want to know is where do you get your hands on one of those Scott Lee tapes? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You star in it, that gets you a complimentary copy!

SpiderMan

Scott Lee
01-08-2004, 05:12 AM
woody_968...We're scheduled to get together in mid-February, aren't we? We need to touch base, and firm up the date and time. Email, or call me (773-551-7473).
I'm thinking the 16th, 17th, or 18th.

Scott Lee

ryushen21
01-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Yeah, those Scott Lee tapes help you out a lot. I'm sure that I still have a ways to go but that helps out tons. Speaking of which, Scott, when are you going to be coming back through the Dallas/Fort Worth area? I know that I'll be up for another lesson (this is Matt G. by the way) and Dustin probably won't pass. Plus the team will probably be interested to.

Scott Lee
01-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Matt...Good to hear from you, and see you posting here often! I'll be back in your neck of the woods, likely sometime in April! See you then!

Scott Lee