PDA

View Full Version : Basic question on buying a pool table?

jsho12
01-04-2004, 02:43 AM
Assuming space and cost are not issues, what size table would most people prefer?

Cueless Joey
01-04-2004, 02:58 AM
9 footer.

woody_968
01-04-2004, 03:03 AM
I would go for the 9. If you get used to a nine foot table at home, then go out to play and end up on a bar box I think the adjusment is much easier than going from a 7 foot table to a big table.

JimS
01-04-2004, 07:00 AM
I have a 9' Diamond Pro and I am HAPPY /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

houstondan
01-04-2004, 12:27 PM
really, i think the answer depends on what you're going to play on once you get out of the house. i've got a 9'gc4 with simonis and tight pockets. really not a good practice table if you're going to be shooting bar boxes but then i don't shoot bar boxes. i would avoid tables with "funny" cut-super-tight pockets. makes you shoot too tight. in the real world, there's usually room to cheat the pockets for better shape options.

dan

ausieplayer
01-04-2004, 12:52 PM
If space and cost are indeed not the issue then it comes down to who is going to be using the table and for what. If you want to improve and/or enjoy your social game at home then a 9' table or even an 8' or 7' table will be fun for you and your visitors (The smaller the table the more 'fun' your beginner friends will have). However, if you really want to play competition then you should get the same sized table as you are going to play comp on, ie, 8', 9' or 12', and as one of the other guys suggested, don't get one that has either buckets or really tight pockets. (I have a 9' table at home and play comp on 7', 8' and 12' tables)

jsho12
01-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Thanks all. Most competition is on 9' I believe so that's what I'm leaning towards. I'm not too worried about a table my beginner friends will enjoy as most of my friends are pretty decent players or willing to learn.

Any advice on brand?

Iowashark
01-05-2004, 09:04 AM
If space and cost were no concern, I would get a 6x12 snooker table. But that's just me. For a 9 footer if you want to know what brand I think most people here will agree with Gold Crown or Diamond. I prefer Diamond.