PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Filler?

JamesJ
01-04-2004, 09:19 AM
I need to fill the seams and do a little repair work on my table. I have heard of everything from bondo to beeswax to rock putty. Which one is the best to use? Thanks.

Cueless Joey
01-04-2004, 09:27 AM
Bondo.

Troy
01-04-2004, 09:27 AM
I strongly recommend Bondo®. A local table mechanic who does nearly all rooms in the Nor Cal Bay Area uses only Bondo® with great results/

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JamesJ:</font><hr> I need to fill the seams and do a little repair work on my table. I have heard of everything from bondo to beeswax to rock putty. Which one is the best to use? Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

JimS
01-04-2004, 10:06 AM
My mechanic uses Beeswax.

NH_Steve
01-04-2004, 11:13 AM
This topic has come up a few times before and the consensus seems to be Bondo for 'repairs' since it is very durable and shape-able, but slate wax for standard screw holes and seams.

ted harris
01-05-2004, 02:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JamesJ:</font><hr> I need to fill the seams and do a little repair work on my table. I have heard of everything from bondo to beeswax to rock putty. Which one is the best to use? Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>
Depnds on whether the mechanic is capable of doing deeswax. If you use bondo, I hope you don't ever have to level the table again, as it is a real pain in the butt. Beeswax takes only minutes to undo and reapply.

Fasteddy7
01-05-2004, 04:54 PM
I use durhams rock putty, easy to use yourself and holds up great

NBC-BOB
01-06-2004, 09:18 AM
I've alway's used joint compound.Let it dry and sand it smooth.After that, take a ball in hand and slide it across the seam.If you feel anything, sand some more.

Anonamus
01-06-2004, 11:08 AM
There seems to be two camps; beeswax and water putty. Any mechanic using Bondo on the seams obviously isn't planning on coming back.

The mechanics that like beeswax insist that you should never sand the slate. The ones that like water putty think beeswax is too soft and allows for slate movement.

I think since it's just a thin layer either one would do just fine.

Troy
01-06-2004, 12:04 PM
OBVIOUSLY WRONG !!! The top Table Mechanic in the SF Bay area of Nor Cal exclusively uses Bondo® and he supports almost ALL Pool Rooms in the area. Oh, by the way HE DOES RETURN.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonamus:</font><hr> Any mechanic using Bondo on the seams obviously isn't planning on coming back.<hr /></blockquote>

Cueless Joey
01-06-2004, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> OBVIOUSLY WRONG !!! The top Table Mechanic in the SF Bay area of Nor Cal exclusively uses Bondo® and he supports almost ALL Pool Rooms in the area. Oh, by the way HE DOES RETURN.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonamus:</font><hr> Any mechanic using Bondo on the seams obviously isn't planning on coming back.<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>
Yup. Ernesto uses it so it's good enough for me.
With wax, you'll see seams between the slates after a few months.
Bondo? Never.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-06-2004, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>

I got lost here. What does Ernesto use?

Anonamus
01-06-2004, 02:21 PM
In that case, maybe cement would work better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

How does he get the slate apart when it's time to move the table? With a chisel and a hammer?

Hey Troy, don't take it so personally. It's just my opinion.

Troy
01-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Ernesto also exclusively uses Bondo®.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>

I got lost here. What does Ernesto use? <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
01-06-2004, 02:32 PM
I am NOTgoing on opinion. I AM going on a well experienced Table Mechanic's years of expertice.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonamus:</font><hr> In that case, maybe cement would work better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

How does he get the slate apart when it's time to move the table? With a chisel and a hammer?

Hey Troy, don't take it so personally. It's just my opinion. <hr /></blockquote>