PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite finishing touch on tips?

stickman
01-04-2004, 12:02 PM
There is the standard spit and burnish method of groomming the sides of tips. I have seen people mark the sides with a black magic marker, and burnish. I'm seen some use a thin film of super glue on the sides. What is your favorite method?

Jim

Sid_Vicious
01-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Spit and burnish with a dollar bill, followed by S-glue and a polishing job using 9 micron glas polisher as a final touch. Looks like a piece of art when done, especially on Moori tips...sid

JimS
01-04-2004, 12:40 PM
I dampen and burnish with leather.

TedKaufman
01-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Moisten finger and burnish with the inside of a matchbook cover (without text). A dollar bill works fine, but can leave ink on the ferrule (the same reason I don't use matchbooks with ink).

I've tried various ink markers--Sharpies, ect.--but they all run a bit, even the waterproof Sharpies, and this will also discolor the ferrule when you burnish it.

I'm sure superglue will leave a pretty finish, but what does it look like when you play with the cue and the tip compresses? Superglue is not going to compress with the tip. My suspicion is the glue eventually cracks and chips, leaving an unsightly mess that will have to be sanded off. I say, stick with spit and polish.

Any permanent solution is unlikely to work because the tip is in a constant state of deformation. Even layered tips mushroom to some extent. So there is a constant need to attend to the tips with burnishing. Besides, burnishing gives you something to do when you are sitting in your chair while your opponent is running 100 on you--instead of thinking of the lousy safe you just played.

Troy
01-04-2004, 01:20 PM
That's my final touch also Jim...
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I dampen and burnish with leather. <hr /></blockquote>

nAz
01-04-2004, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TedKaufman:</font><hr> Besides, burnishing gives you something to do when you are sitting in your chair while your opponent is running 100 on you--instead of thinking of the lousy safe you just played.
<hr /></blockquote>
Bahahaha so true.

I use good'ol middle eastern spit and a piece of leather. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul_Mon
01-04-2004, 02:08 PM
I burnish with saliva and leather. Then put a small piece of wax paper inside the leather and burnish again.

Paul

woody_968
01-04-2004, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Spit and burnish with a dollar bill, followed by S-glue and a polishing job using 9 micron glas polisher as a final touch. Looks like a piece of art when done, especially on Moori tips...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid, some of the sites I have read on layered tips say not to wet the sides as it may make the tip more likely to delaminate. Ever have any trouble with this? They even say not to use a marker on it because of the small amount of moistier in the tip.

billiards_89
01-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Hello I use nail polish remover, works great. Thats all....try it

Troy
01-04-2004, 04:47 PM
I burnish Talisman Pro tips with the saliva &amp; leather method and have never had a problem.

Troy...~~~ Not talking about drowning the tip... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr>
Sid, some of the sites I have read on layered tips say not to wet the sides as it may make the tip more likely to delaminate. Ever have any trouble with this? They even say not to use a marker on it because of the small amount of moistier in the tip. <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
01-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Nail polish remover is Acetone with perfume --- Acetone will destroy leather.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote billiards_89:</font><hr> Hello I use nail polish remover, works great. Thats all....try it <hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir
01-04-2004, 07:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote billiards_89:</font><hr> Hello I use nail polish remover, works great. Thats all....try it <hr /></blockquote>Nail polish remover? With Acetone? How great could that possibly work?

Fred

tateuts
01-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Using a little rubbing alcohol to clean off the spit these guys are putting on tips. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Alfie
01-04-2004, 11:16 PM
no burnish
chalk up
shoot

billiards_89
01-05-2004, 12:20 AM
Thank you for the advise, I will never use nail polish remover again. I didn't know that. You learn something new everyday here.

stickman
01-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the replies. It looks like spit is the favorite indredient. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan
01-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Sid doesn't use a marker on layered tips, nor do I, because the solvents in a permanent marker could attack the lamination glue. But, if you burnish first, the superglue isn't much more than a glaze if applied and quickly wiped while spinning in a crutch tool. It will eventually dull as the tip deforms, but as someone else pointed out, tip maintenance is something you just need to get accustomed to doing now and then.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
01-05-2004, 07:10 PM
I installed two Moori(H) tips within the last 3 months(and play with them regularly) and SG'd the sidewalls, and neither one has shown even the slightest deformation, even crown shape or dulling as of yet. It could be the hardness or maybe by SG layer is a bit heavier. I know that Spiderman uses a lower hardness grade of tips than I, so I'm not doubting that a tiny bit of change may occur, still mine have maintained a like new look even today. The spit and burnish has never hurt my Moori tips, and I don't know if it was the culprit with my Talismans in the past, cuz I did have delams with several of those...sid

BLACKHEART
01-05-2004, 11:21 PM
I have been using ammonia before burnishing &amp; a brown marker on all of the TIGER laminated tips that I install. I must have put on 500 or more without one delamination problem...JER

stickman
01-05-2004, 11:50 PM
JER, don't mess with success. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif I had a delamination on my first one, but it was the fault of installation. The Porper mushroom burnisher is a good tool for unlaminated tips, but creates too much heat and twisting for laminated tips in my opinion. I haven't done anyway near 500 of them, but have had very good luck since my first one. I'm excited about getting my lathe shipped so I can turn the tips instead of using hand tools. It was back ordered and scheduled to ship Jan. 14th. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

RedHell
01-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Stickman, what lathe did ya go for ?

stickman
01-06-2004, 05:17 PM
I went with the Harbor Freight 7 X 10. (shipping free) The shipping on the Homier Speedway was quite a bit higher, and I didn't think the 7 X 12 was worth the additional cost for 2 inches. I doubt that I'll miss the 2 inches since I'll being doing primarily tip work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phoenix2001
05-04-2004, 02:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> There is the standard spit and burnish method of groomming the sides of tips. I have seen people mark the sides with a black magic marker, and burnish. I'm seen some use a thin film of super glue on the sides. What is your favorite method?

Jim <hr /></blockquote>

I use a magic marker on most of my tip jobs. After the ink has had time to dry, I use a cutdown tube sock to dry burnish the tip followed by a couple of lite coats of tree wax on the tip and ferrule to seal and polish both. The finished job is a work of art and shows the pride of workmanship to my customers. For followup burnishing I use the brown paper towels out of the bathroom dispensers folded several times and they also work well to clean and burnish the shaft...

Popcorn
05-04-2004, 08:27 PM
What is the purpose of the magic marker? If you burnish the edge of the tip with something like a brown rouge and buff it, and it looks great. The natural look of the leather I think looks much better then painting it. Is here some other reason other then the looks that you do it? I don't like bringing up old threads, but I was curious.

Sid_Vicious
05-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Spiderman and I both finish with a spit-burnish-SG touch, Spiderman has installed
way more layered tips than I, but neither of us have had one bit of trouble. I will say
one thing, and that is this certainly holds solidly true for our Moori installs. I've installed my
own Talisman tips and used both the "spit and burnish" only, and also the dual combo
adding SG to the finish. Both renditions have given an unacceptable amount of delams, so I
certainly couldn't point a finger at the SG preceded with the pre-burnish and call it
the culprit. I'm of the belief today that the Moori tips simply are the best of the two
brands, especially in the breakdown factor. Like I said earlier, neither of us has had
any problems with layered tip installs(non-Talisman), or customer complaints. I know for a fact that several of those early Moori installs still look great, and I've not even noticed shattering on
the sides after month(s) of play time. My installs have all been the Quick flavor, so
maybe Spiderman will read this and toss in his observation over the softer grades that
he's put on for people, many of whom he sees and inspects with an eye loupe weekly sometimes. Delamination with layered tips?...only one brand so far for me, happened indiscriminately no matter the finishing method(imo) sid~~~not meaning to badger the Talismans, just telling it like I see it

Chris Cass
05-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi Stickman,

When I used the Moori and the Talisman tips I'd just use spit and burnish then use a light coat of carnuba wax and polish.

On the Sumo tips I would burnish the sides then, black magic perminate marker. Then burnish and seal with a light coat of super glue liquid not the gel. Then, re-burnish and come back with carnuba wax and burnish. I use the black marker to help my failing eyes. The super glue wasn't for looks although it does add to the gloss. I used it for less mushrooming and also to harden up the tip a bit. I was also careful not to soak it or add too much glue. It could get brittle and that's not good.

Now lately, I've been using LePro'. I do the same as the Sumo.

Burnishing technique that I use: I use the Mico burnishing kit by McDermott called McMagic or the Q-Smooth mico burnishing film. I highly recommend the McMagic. The sheets are bigger and they have an extra grade that is excellent. In my example of burnishing techn I used the Q-smooth.

After the glue is applied and dried I take some 600 and just on the tip (not ferrule) I'll get any improfections out. Then, I use the Blue sheet or fine, then the Green or very fine, then the Yellow or micro fine. After this is done I apply the carnuba wax. Once it's dried I'll buff it with a soft cloth then take and burnish with the back of the Yellow film to a high luster.

This is done on a spinning shaft. I use a drill and the crutch tip sent by my friend Marty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, when your talking about the layered tips I'll use the micro film on the ferrule too and a plus for ivory. It makes the ferrule and tip look like glass.

Regards,

C.C.~~Took away Barbara' tip monger title. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1Time
05-04-2004, 11:42 PM
My favorite finishing touch is to turn the cue upside down and tap the tip on a hard floor about a half dozen times. An elderly road hustler showed me this about 20 years ago. It simulates the cue tip having struck the cue ball a few times thereby helping to bring a newly manicured tip to a more familiar condition. It sounded kind of funky to me at first too but it works so hey...

SpiderMan
05-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Careful, you can destroy the tip that way if you overdo it. I used to do the "floor drop" now and then, but what I didn't think about was that on a normal hit the cue ball moves away. The floor is relatively immovable, so the amount of tip displacement is increased. I ruined a new triangle once, making it go spongy by being overzealous with the "floor drop".

SpiderMan