PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question, but I have to know!

srvrules
01-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Once and for all I must know, what is spotting balls? I always hear you guys talking about it but I have no clue.

Any help is appreciated!

ausieplayer
01-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Spotting is normally not needed during play unless your girlfriend - or boyfriend - doesn't know your doing it, if they do spot you doing it, you have to glance away or re-spot some other less incriminating color. If you can get away with it while in the company of the said 'friend' spotting is really the art of being the first to detect and identify a worthy spotee without being spotted yourself.

Troy
01-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Could mean either A) Putting a ball on the "spot" after a foul or scratch (as in 1-Pocket or Straight Pool), or B) Giving (getting) weight by "spotting" a ball or balls, ie., "spotting" the "7 and out" in 9-Ball would mean the 7, 8 or 9 would win the game for the player getting the "spot"..

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote srvrules:</font><hr> Once and for all I must know, what is spotting balls? I always hear you guys talking about it but I have no clue.

Any help is appreciated! <hr /></blockquote>

ausieplayer
01-04-2004, 01:24 PM
My first explanation makes more sense to me!

Isn't spotting the placement or replacement of a ball that was either moved or potted during a foul shot, or the balls affected by a foul shot that should be played from their original position/s?

tateuts
01-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Spotting is the handicap one player will give to another to even up the game.

For example, a better player may spot someone the 8 ball in a 9 ball game - where the person receiving the spot can make either the 8 or 9 for the win. Or, in straight pool a typical spot is a 20 point advantage in a game to 100. In one pocket, a spot might be 8 to 6, where the spotted player only has to make 6 balls to win.

There are numerous games and spots for gambling.

Chris

ras314
01-04-2004, 03:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ausieplayer:</font><hr> Spotting is normally not needed during play unless your girlfriend - or boyfriend - doesn't know your doing it, if they do spot you doing it, you have to glance away or re-spot some other less incriminating color. If you can get away with it while in the company of the said 'friend' spotting is really the art of being the first to detect and identify a worthy spotee without being spotted yourself. <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like a whole new game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A fine way to lose friends and make enemies on the pool table.

Troy
01-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Your first explanation makes NO sense to me. You seem to be talking about moving the balls without the opposition knowing about it --- A bad thing to do !!!

Returning an accidently moved ball to its original position may only be done with consent of the opposing player.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ausieplayer:</font><hr> My first explanation makes more sense to me!

Isn't spotting the placement or replacement of a ball that was either moved or potted during a foul shot, or the balls affected by a foul shot that should be played from their original position/s? <hr /></blockquote>