PDA

View Full Version : HEAD GAMES

recoveryjones
01-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Last night I had the opportunity to play a pool player who is a pretty decent player (some rate him an A player others an A+) and newcomer to our pool hall. We agreed to play best two outta three sets and a race to seven, with no spot.Anyways I was right on my game and he wasn't and I crushed him 7-1 in the first set. Then the insults started..."You play like a [censored]" You play like a girl. etc. etc (not true)After a few too many insults I basically told the guy told the guy to chill (%&#@(^&% off) out because his conduct was not appreciated and I wasn't going to take it.Angered by his comments I lost the second set 7-4, however recovered to win the next set 7-5.Pool is a game I love however unfortunatley there are players out there that will try to use more than their cue to beat you.This guy is very talented and doesn't need to resort to this BS.Fortunatley there are a lot of players out there with good pool etiquite while there are others that use every tactic in the book to try and win.Things like moving in the background, jib racking, cheating on split shots, taunting, talking etc. etc. etc.Personally I don't have the energy or personality to get into the head games that some pool players resort to,in their quest to win.I come to the pool hall because I love the game and love to challenge myself by playing the best players I can.I'd like to play this guy again because he is very talented however another part of me doesn't want to put up with the BS.He apologized after the match but told me the next time we play for $$$$$$ as from now on I have to pay for the priveledge of playing him.Trying to shark me into a money game by angering me or using psycholgy I don't think is going to work for him.Another part of me ( the competitive side) however wants to accept the challenge.Anyways, does your pool hall have its resident ass-hole and how do you handle it?And whats the worst case of head games (sharking) you have seen?

woody_968
01-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Well all pool rooms have these players in them, nice to you until they start loosing and then turn into ### holes. If the guy was like that and you werent even gambling I would hate to see him when he is loosing money.
You really only have to choices. If you can look at his insults and crying as a sign of weakness then by all means play him, if you dont let it get to you his head games will hurt him more than you. On the other hand you go there to have fun, if you no it wont be fun no matter what the outcome of the match is then why play?
I personally enjoy it when my opponent starts talkin crap, then I know I have him /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif The only people I wont play are the ones with tempers that start slamming balls and racks on the table, there are too many other good players out there with a little class to resort to playing people that throw temper tantrems!

ras314
01-04-2004, 02:57 PM
All that bs was at one time fairly common for some types of hustlers. Idea was to deliberately get you mad and want to beat the guy even if you start losing money.

I'd want to watch the guy play for good money and decide if I had a dead nuts lock to take his money. If not why put up with the aggravation, this is a low life jerk.

Popcorn
01-04-2004, 03:53 PM
Don't don't think I would play him again. I would say if you did after all that, it would not be for the competition or because you thought you may win some money. It would be personal, a bad reason to play. I have people I can beat I don't play, who probably wonder why. Who wants to play a guy that is throwing things and cursing, even if it not directed at you. I don't enjoy it and I have no interest in doing anything I don't enjoy. Just my opinion.

Chris Cass
01-04-2004, 05:36 PM
Hi RJ,

Take my advice. Nip it in the bud. Quit him on the spot or just right then and there tell him to shove his smart a$$ comments. If you don't there will be trouble and it only gets worse. Next he'll be telling you how to shoot. In Chicago it's easy. Just grab a house cue and smack'em upside the head.

Regards,

C.C.~~doesn't put up with that crap..

UWPoolGod
01-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Funny. I was in Seattle this weekend playing some pool at Dr. Cues. My friend and I were playing some free serious sets since we don't play each other much anymore. On the main gambling table a good player (with money) playing this loud mouth tall kid $10/rack 9ball with the kid getting spotted the 6-out. Pretty damned big spot but not too bad with the difference in playing ability. The kid continues to spout out ridiculous statements when he misses or when the good cuy shoots. Eventually some other people gambling on another table yelled over for the kid to shut up. I guess the tension was high between them because they had been playing for 14 1/2 hours straight with 5 minute pot/bathroom breaks. I wonder where they ended up money wise...