PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Hustler

Bob
01-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Here's a question for you all... I was at a huge BCA State tournament this past weekend. There were several divisions from B to Master. I am doing the mini tournaments and this guy comes up and wants in. I asked him what division he was in and he stated "B." Okay, off he goes and about an hour later Bob comes back and tells me that this guy is not in the tournament and he is a road player. This was a double state event and I did not know a lot of the players when I signed him up. I was there as a favor to a friend just to help out. When he came back to the tournament desk, I confronted him about this and he played dumb saying that he did not know what a "B" player was. I informed him not to insult my intelligence anymore, I knew what he was up to at this point...

Ok, here's the question which also goes back to my past questions regarding a national "big dawg" list... This guy knew what he was doing, no doubt. He was attending a very large event (600+ players) looking for action. He was clearly taking advantage of the lessor players who had NO chance what so ever in beating this guy. It was only when he was exposed, he elected to play someone more suitable for his caliber.

I would appreciate feed back from all any action that should or could be taken in this situation and or solutions to this problem.

There are so many players who love the game just to play and have a good time. When someone as this comes in and takes advantage of the situation it spoils it for many. Now, remember, this was a mini tournament of B class players..

Thanks,

Eydie

JPB
01-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Easy. If the people just love the game and want to play for fun, have a nice $10 trophy for first and a $5 cup for second. When money is involved, players will try to make it. But IMO if prize money is offered it is a professional event and anyone should be allowed to enter. Unless you say ahead of time who is ineligible.

I entered a BCA mini tourney one time when the BCA came to my hometown. There was none of this "B" mini tourn stuff. I drew Dick Lane in the first round. Guess what, I have NO chance of ever beating Dick Lane. I looked forward to playing him though. Too bad he forfeited. Rumor had it he got in action. So I wasn't going to whine about losing to a good player. I viewed the tourn as a way to maybe get to play good players for cheap, not to beat the rails w/ other cripples.

nAz
01-04-2004, 07:50 PM
I have seen TDs give the person back thier money or bump them up to open status. I would have just gave back any entry fee money and shown him the door. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
01-04-2004, 08:18 PM
If possible, I would have him removed from the mini-tournament and forfeit his entry fee for "unsportsmanlike conduct".
I would also have prohibited him from playing the main event, returning his entry fee.

Troy...~~~ Thinks it's past time for players to get some integrity.

Rod
01-05-2004, 10:20 AM
What prevents an A or even a Master level player from entering a B class tournament? If there is no set way to ID a player it's going to be a crap-shoot. Believe me it's not unusual for a higher rated player to take advantage of a lower rated tournament. The roadie was just doing what (like it or not) what some low class higher rated players do even though they know it's wrong. They should be on a B, A, or whatever, player list and have ID to prove they are that person.

As far as the player in question goes, I'd show him the door. There is no doubt he was a fraud, stealing and didn't belong there.

Rod

UWPoolGod
01-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Believe me it's not unusual for a higher rated player to take advantage of a lower rated tournament. <-- Rod

Exactly. The bar I play at had tourneys 5 nights a week with two on Sunday. Because there were alot of "A" players in there the "B"'s started to dwindle so the bar made Saturday and Sunday afternoon "B" tournaments. The guy running it doesn't know all of the good players in town, so every week when we walk in Sunday night for the evening tourney there is at least one "A" player playing for point or winning the tourney. Of course that is the last time they are allowed to enter that tourney but still they robbed the one time.

NH_Steve
01-05-2004, 05:12 PM
There's a flip side to this problem, too -- fear of an 'unknown' player which leads to over-rating. I've never been any more than a high 'B' player, but since i keep a fairly low profile (except that of course I do try to match up in One Pocket with almost anyone /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), however if I happen to stick my nose into a rated tournament, they always seem to threaten to put me in as an 'open' player, just because they don't know me... Or maybe they're afraid, 'cuz they might know I play a decent enough game of One Pocket to step to the table with many 'A' players -- in One Pocket. No way I belong in anything anywhere near 'A' as far as a generic pool shooter, though...

Vagabond
01-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Howdy,
This is always the case.whenever there is an amateur tounament going on,some road players or some unrecognizable
pros come to rob the guys.So follow the advise of your parents-watch for the strangers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
vagabond

SRpool
01-06-2004, 02:56 AM
Maybe if someone has no way of being identified as a player through a pro list, magazines, or any type of publicity. Maybe even word of mouth. You should just put them in the highest level tournament. Then you state that in your advertisements so there will be no argument if they have no form of ID. Just a thought.

Sarah

ryushen21
01-06-2004, 09:49 AM
We have had a few issues with that in my intercollegiate league also. we only have three divisions (A, B, and C) and there are always guys under suspicion at every tournament. We dq'd one guy and he decided to go slash one of our guys tires. it's sad.