PDA

View Full Version : mac vs pc

bluewolf
01-05-2004, 07:16 AM
I have used pc for about 15 years, can tear them apart, do all kinds of stuff. I always wanted a mac because the two things I love to do on my computer, when not on ccb, is photo editing and writing.

It seemed that most in those fields used mac. I also heard it was built on unix and therefore more stable. I got a mac laptop so it is like visiting a foreign country.

I wonder if anyone here has mac experience and what you like about macs vs what you like about pcs.

Also, if you use a mac with virtual pc, can you use it to use windows program but keep the mac interface. The lady at the apple store thought it changed the interface to a windows one, but she did not seem to have that much experience. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

eg8r
01-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Why would you use virtual pc on a Mac? That is awful. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It does not make sense to purchase another machine which is quite expensive compared to the pc counterpart and then run pc software. You can buy most ms software for the mac now.

eg8r <~~~Loved his first Mac, hated the available software at the time

ras314
01-05-2004, 08:38 AM
I haven't kept up with the Mac, but it's user interface seemed to be what Bill Gates tried to emulate with the gosh awfull kludge called windows running msdos. Which was a ripoff of an earlier word processing op sys to start with.

The Mac design using Motorla hardware was head and sholders above the IBM Intel design. As was the Unix op sys. Still don't understand how we got stuck with the pc.

moblsv
01-05-2004, 10:00 AM
I run several OS's on a virtual PC on windows and they are exactly the same as a normal install.

------------

heater451
01-05-2004, 06:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I have used pc for about 15 years, can tear them apart, do all kinds of stuff. I always wanted a mac because the two things I love to do on my computer, when not on ccb, is photo editing and writing.

It seemed that most in those fields used mac.<hr /></blockquote>You can do both photo-editing and writing on a PC. Photoshop is widely used on PC--Adobe is extrememly good with cross-porting. There's argument that P-shop is still better on a Mac, and I actually think there's some evidence that some functions/features work faster or 'cleaner', but I doubt most people could tell for average work. In any case, I'm certain that there's no telling which platform was used to create any particular piece of work, if it was put to the test.

As for writing, you could do that on a TRaSh-80 if you had to!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I also heard it was built on unix and therefore more stable. I got a mac laptop so it is like visiting a foreign country.<hr /></blockquote>Unix is dead-stable, but then again Win2000 is pretty solid--and XP is supposed to be the same. A usual downside is that MacOSX doesn't support OS9 stuff exactly--you have to run OS9 on the machine as well. Since you are jumping streams completely, I would consider this a non-issue. Also, OSX is actually a little more Windows like, in the GUI, but there's still some 'culture shock'. What little I've worked with Macs, I found that I liked some of the thinking that went on--how some function just 'made more sense', but being highly, PC-ingrained, I resisted it (at the time, I was learning to support Mac hardware/software). --I once installed and ran a Linux box for a bit, but decided that the GUI gave me a headache, and I really had no need to learn a new OS. Plus, I don't have a need to be a "command line guy".

OTOH, I had a co-worker at IBM, who decided to try an iMac laptop, and he loved it.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I wonder if anyone here has mac experience and what you like about macs vs what you like about pcs.

Also, if you use a mac with virtual pc, can you use it to use windows program but keep the mac interface. The lady at the apple store thought it changed the interface to a windows one, but she did not seem to have that much experience. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura<hr /></blockquote>Another ex-/part-time co-worker, who is a designer by trade, still runs a high-powered Mac, and I know that he has run Virtual PC in the past. It basically runs a Windows shell inside of the MacOS, and yes, it's "just like" running Windows (although, I think it's in a window itself--don't know if you can maximize it to the full desktop). I believe that it's a heavy drain on resources, but it works pretty well. My friend used it mostly for testing cross-platform web stuff, but I think he had to run a (very) few Win apps as well.

BTW, if you just want the GUI look, you might be able to run VPC with XP, but use a Mac "skin" in XP. However, if you are going to be running mostly PC s/w, then you might as well stick with the PC--or, if there's a PC app that you can't live without, but want to run it on your Mac, then VPC will probably be okay--although a memory-intensive app might be really slow. But, since the whole idea of VPC is that it act's like Windows, then that's basically what you'll get--If you want it to truly look like/act like OSX, then you have to pay for OSX-compatible apps.

=================

bluewolf
01-05-2004, 09:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I also heard it was built on unix and therefore more stable. I got a mac laptop so it is like visiting a foreign country.[ QUOTE ]
Unix is dead-stable, but then again Win2000 is pretty solid--and XP is supposed to be the same. A usual downside is that MacOSX doesn't support OS9 stuff exactly--you have to run OS9 on the machine as well. This is ox10.3 [Since you are jumping streams completely, I would consider this a non-issue. Also, OSX is actually a little more Windows like, in the GUI, but there's still some 'culture shock'. What little I've worked with Macs, I found that I liked some of the thinking that went on--how some function just 'made more sense', but being highly, PC-ingrained, I resist Plus, I don't have a need to be a "command line guy".

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I wonder if anyone here has mac experience and what you like about macs vs what you like about pcs.

Another ex-/part-time co-worker, who is a designer by trade, still runs a high-powered Mac, and I know that he has run Virtual PC in the past. It basically runs a Windows shell inside of the MacOS, and yes, it's "just like" running Windows (although, I think it's in a window itself--don't know if you can maximize it to the full desktop). I believe that it's a heavy drain on resources, but it works pretty well. My friend used it mostly for testing cross-platform web stuff, but I think he had to run a (very) few Win apps as well.

BTW, if you just want the GUI look, you might be able to run VPC with XP, but use a Mac "skin" in XP. However, if you are going to be running mostly PC s/w, then you might as well stick with the PC--or, if there's a PC app that you can't live without, but want to run it on your Mac, then VPC will probably be okay--although a memory-intensive app might be really slow. But, since the whole idea of VPC is that it act's like Windows, then that's basically what you'll get--If you want it to truly look like/act like OSX, then you have to pay for OSX-compatible apps. <hr /></blockquote>

[b] There are really very few programs i want that are exclusively windows. The only one that I miss is one called nero, which is a dynamite cdr program. I really dont use much programs, just web, mail and photo editing stuff. Some of the programs support both also.

I dont know if i will get virtual pc. It might be a waste of money since I basically browse and read mail and do the photo editing stuff. I did buy the mac version of office but i was just curious about vpc.

i like the mac. it is different but i have been sick of windows for awhile. There is no windows os that I have not crashed. LOL

thanks for the info.

Laura

================= <hr /></blockquote>

moblsv
01-07-2004, 12:30 PM
I just ran across this article titled "What is Mac OS X?" and thought you might find it interesting.
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/

bluewolf
01-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks!!!

laura

heater451
01-07-2004, 08:51 PM
If you don't have an issue with spending the cash on Mac apps, go for it.

If you want to replace Nero, I think Toast is what a lot of folks use for Macs. Apple may even have a built-in burner application (then again, maybe Toast is built-in nowadays. . . .), since Microsoft even has an XP burner programmed in.

=================

bluewolf
01-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Thanks. I got a program called 'Dragon Burn', which is sort of like toast but missing some features in Toast that I did not need.

The apple does have its own burn app, but i like something a little more visual like nero and toast and dragon burn seem similar in that aspect.

I also checked into vpc and found it hogs a lot of memory and is more of a two dimensional thing, doing better with office apps than 3d graphics stuff like intense graphical games.I did not get it because the only office apps I use are word and excel, which came with mac office.vpc is awfully pricey, especially when I considered that it might not work well on the kind of stuff I like to do.

Since then, I have gotten on the internet and found lots of neat programs for the mac.They are a little more expensive, which would bother someone who uses a lot of different programs and that person i think would be better with a pc. I do not use a lot of differnt programs, though, so it is not much of an issue for me. They even have one that, based on visual basic (like a vb for dummies LOL), allows you to write your own programs.

You can also get photoshop and dreamweaver, go live etc for the same price and photoshop elements works on both.

The apple does not have as many games yet as the pc,although it does have everquest, so if a person is REALLY into games, the pc is still the better choice.

Laura