PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tips do you shoot with?

ray
01-05-2004, 07:49 AM
i had a buddy of mine take my stick to get a new tip put on, he was taking his in also.

mine came back with a medium tip, but for some odd reason i can't get as much draw as i was with a soft tip.

is my problem mental, or do i need to drop back down to a soft?

thanks for the help..

ray

also, lemme know what kinda tips you guys use in case i need to get mine retipped..

eg8r
01-05-2004, 07:56 AM
I use Talisman WB H. No problem with draw at all.

eg8r

Pelican
01-05-2004, 08:57 AM
I like Triangle and LePro. Proper stroke has more to do with draw than the tip.

aajourney
01-05-2004, 09:18 AM
I bought a Moori Med on ebay for $12.00. It works great, but I don't think it shoots much different then the LePro I had on before and you can get Lepros dirt cheap. I also had a triangle before I had the Lepro and that worked good also. Supposedly, on the Moori it will hold its shape longer and not mushroom. We will see.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ray
01-05-2004, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Proper stroke has more to do with draw than the tip. <hr /></blockquote>

see that's what i was thinking, just a mental thing i guess!

alot of my pool problems are mental, once i get over that part i'm alright..

ray..

Kato
01-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Tailsman Pro Medium on one and WB on another.

No problem drawing the rock.

Kato

ryushen21
01-05-2004, 11:16 AM
I use a Moori 3 Medium Hard tip. It is by far the best tip that i have used.

Troy
01-05-2004, 11:25 AM
Talisman Pro Soft for 1-Pocket. Talisman Pro Medium for 9-Ball &amp; the occasional 8-Ball game and non-layered WB for breaking.

Troy

datplayer
01-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Nothing has compared to my Talisman Hard tip. Best tip I've played with to date.

recoveryjones
01-05-2004, 01:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> I use a Moori 3 Medium Hard tip. It is by far the best tip that i have used. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi ryushen21, Your exactly the guy I want to talk to because I'm considering buying a new (and supposedly improved) Moori 3 med/hard tip.I was wondering did you use Moori's other tips before the new Moori 3's came out .Did you notice a difference, are they really improved? I know a local cue dealer (also a cue collector) who claims that the new Moori 3's are the best tip in the world and the preference of most pros. Can anyone out there verify if this is true? I'm currently using a laminated pigskin Tiger Sniper tip and I hit really well with it. My curiosity has me wondering if the Moori 3 will take things to the next level as far as tips go.Any comments appreciated. RJ

stickman
01-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Talisman WB Med! I love it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cueless Joey
01-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Old Moori medium is the best. I don't know about the new ones.
I like Everest too.
I've had nothing but problems with Talisman medium hard.

Fred Agnir
01-05-2004, 04:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ray:</font><hr>
also, lemme know what kinda tips you guys use in case i need to get mine retipped..

<hr /></blockquote>I keep reverting back to Triangles. I've had a run in with some bad ones of late, so similar to LePros, I have to bite them and compress them first.

Fred

BLACKHEART
01-05-2004, 11:13 PM
I put hard Water Buffalo tips on all of the Qs I make...JER

ryushen21
01-05-2004, 11:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> I use a Moori 3 Medium Hard tip. It is by far the best tip that i have used. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi ryushen21, Your exactly the guy I want to talk to because I'm considering buying a new (and supposedly improved) Moori 3 med/hard tip.I was wondering did you use Moori's other tips before the new Moori 3's came out .Did you notice a difference, are they really improved? I know a local cue dealer (also a cue collector) who claims that the new Moori 3's are the best tip in the world and the preference of most pros. Can anyone out there verify if this is true? I'm currently using a laminated pigskin Tiger Sniper tip and I hit really well with it. My curiosity has me wondering if the Moori 3 will take things to the next level as far as tips go.Any comments appreciated. RJ <hr /></blockquote>

Here is one thing to consider with the new Moori tips. You want to make sure that the tip is put on by someone who does excellent tip jobs. I had one put on at a local billiards shop and they did not do a very good job at all. The tip still played ok, but there was a tendency to mushroom a little after too much play. Then a friend of mine referred me to a good tip guy and the one he put on my 314 is absolutely perfect. The medium hard is very responsive with my stroke. I won't be going to any other tip until Moori puts out one that is gonna be better than this one. It is definitely the best that i have come across.

tateuts
01-05-2004, 11:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ray:</font><hr> mine came back with a medium tip, but for some odd reason i can't get as much draw as i was with a soft tip.

<hr /></blockquote>

It's not your imagination or your stroke. I have found that improperly shaped hard tips skid off the cueball much worse than an improperly shaped soft tip. It is absolutely critical to properly shape harder tips round - like about the shape of the tip of your baby finger, and to keep it this shape all the time.

My theroy is that a poorly shaped (flat) soft tip will still grab the cueball ok because it conforms to the cueball curvature on impact. The hard tips don't.

So it's a matter of tip maintainence. I learned it the hard way - I used to use Elkmasters and barely ever had to shape them. The tip could be flat as a board and still draw the cueball. I use a Moori Medium now and it has to be properly shaped or it will miscue on edge shots.

Chris

UTAddb
01-06-2004, 12:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> Then a friend of mine referred me to a good tip guy and the one he put on my 314 is absolutely perfect. <hr /></blockquote>
Matt- by the way, the tip guy, Marty's name on this board is 'spiderman,' and yes he does a damn fine job.

Paul_Mon
01-06-2004, 07:05 AM
Ray,
I just changed the tips on my break cue and playing cue. The break cue got a Talisman "X" it is so hard that it barely holds chalk. That said it does a fine job breaking and this cue now jumps much better.

I installed a Talisman Pro Medium on my playing cue and the jury is still out on whether I like it or not. It does seem to play harder than I prefer. Like Fred Agnir, I like LePro and Triangle but everybody raves about layered tips so I've been using them. For the price the LePro and Triangle are hard to beat.

Paul Mon

Wally_in_Cincy
01-06-2004, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> ....everybody raves about layered tips so I've been using them.... <hr /></blockquote>

I always used LePros, I guess because that's what was originally on my cue. They would get glassy after about 200-300 balls and I would scuff them. Needless to say they had a short life span in my hands.

Hearing all the talk about layered tips I tried one. It was rather hard, even though it was the "soft" version of that brand. Played for 2 hours and could not make a ball.

Took the shaft back up front to the pro shop and went totally opposite, requesting an Elk Master. Turns out I like 'em, I like the feel of the hit, they don't glassy, they hold chalk well. Just have to shape 'em every now and then.

but that's just me.

ryushen21
01-06-2004, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> Then a friend of mine referred me to a good tip guy and the one he put on my 314 is absolutely perfect. <hr /></blockquote>
Matt- by the way, the tip guy, Marty's name on this board is 'spiderman,' and yes he does a damn fine job. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks there Minor. i was actually planning on asking you about that.