PDA

View Full Version : Proper Way to Move Slate?

logixrat
01-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Recently I posted about a used table I plan on buying. Well I decided to go ahead and bring it home. I understand I will need to break the table down to move it properly (3 piece slate), and I don't have a problem doing so. But I am a little worried over transporting the slate pieces.

I have a good hour drive (taking the turnpike) to get the table home, or 1.5 to 2 hours if I take the back roads. Anyhow, just curious the proper way to support the slate during transit. I called a local pool shop, and they said they move it all the time HORIZONTALLY with blankets between the different pieces. Yet I found a website that says to move it VERTICALLY with 2x4 crating around it.

Needless to say I'm confused, and a little on edge. I don't want to risk breaking the slate. Ideas or suggestions? Fire away!!

Thanks!
LogixRat
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JimS
01-05-2004, 08:49 PM
I've only been in on two or three slate moving adventures but in each case we laid the slate down on blankets in the back of a truck. No problems. Come to think of it that's how my mechanic friend moved my new Diamond from their factory to my home, about 8 hours drive.

Cueless Joey
01-05-2004, 09:02 PM
I was told to move them vertically as they are stronger that way.

logixrat
01-05-2004, 09:07 PM
That was my initial thought on how to move the slate, then my brother-in-law made me start second guessing myself. Apparently he has delivered some slate countertops for the company he works at, and they make him do it vertically to protect them from damage. Hence, this whole adventure of the best way to move slate was born. By the way, here is that link on the web that I was referring to:

http://www.familyrec.com/usedtables.htm

The part about moving is located towards the bottom of the page. Also I think I misread this page the first time. It says to use 2x4 crating if transporting horizontally vs. vertically.

Anyhow, just looking for some advice. I appreciate what has already been given and look forward to more comments.

Thanks!
LogixRat
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JMD in VA
01-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Hey pal! Getting a table is fun isn't it. You'll find out how much fun it is when you pick the slate up. LOL Anyway, about the slate, I have moved and set up several pool tbales with a friend of mine who makes a living at it. We have always layed it down horizontally and we never put blankets underneath each piece of slate. I see a good and a bad thing about the blankets. The Good, it will be helpful in getting the slate out of the truck or trailer. The Bad, it may give the slate something to slide around on. eventhough it is heavy, doesn't mean it won't move on you. We have always laid one down length ways and the next one we left a little forward of the other one and the last piece we put at the same distance of the first one. They are all going the same way there is just space for you to get your hands on the slate. Hope this helps! Take care and enjoy the table!

JMD in VA

Popcorn
01-05-2004, 10:19 PM
I have moved lots of tables and I just laid them in the back of the truck. I would be very carefull with a one piece slate, I broke one of those once, but a three piece slate is no problem. I should add something though, slates are heavy and can be hard to get through doorways because you do have to tilt them. I built a cart made from a 4 foot long 2 x 10 with two 2 x 4's screwed to the one side longways. There were two wheels on the bottom in the middle so it would pivot. The slate slips in between the 2 x 4's and is moved on edge. My wife and I could take apart and move a table by ourselves with on problem. We did not do this for long though, messing with pool tables is like real work. It stopped being fun real fast.

houstondan
01-05-2004, 10:48 PM
using a regular pick-up, i would wonder about the vertical slate raising the center of gravity enough to provide some interesting adventures changing lanes or coming thru a freeway cloverleaf. just a thought.

my guy just lays it down with a blanket bottom then slate to slate. blocks the ends.

dan

logixrat
01-05-2004, 10:50 PM
JMD - Actually I bought a real craphole table back during the summer for $200, and it had a SINGLE piece of slate. Me and 2 buddies moved it WHOLE. Not the smartest thing, but it worked. And yes, it's heavy. I suspect the single pieces of slate will be a treat compared to the entire table.

And everyone else, thanks for chiming in. I think I will just lay them down flat and use cardboard and maybe some blankets between them. I just want to be careful. And to keep them from sliding (a real problem with my plastic liner in the truck bed) I will tie a rope around them, and then secure that to each side of the bed so they can't just go everywhere.

At least that is the plan for now...if someone has a better idea, by all means jump in and let me know.

Thanks to all that have contributed thus far...it is much appreciated. I can't wait to get play'n....I got the wife talked into letting me put the table in the 2nd living room...wooohooo!!!!

Anonamus
01-06-2004, 07:38 AM
One thing worth doing is to pull the old staples out of the wood backing before you load the slate. When they are lying on top of each other the staples can dig in and scratch the surface, even with blankets in between.

#### leonard
01-09-2004, 07:37 AM
I moved a gold crown table complete from the Cue N Cushion in Albany to the owners home 2 miles away. It took 8 men, 4 on each side, like a casket, walked it off the loading dock put it on a truck, secured it drove it to the house. Took off the sliding doors and slowly removed the table, keeping it level as possible. Leveled it and was done in less than one hour.

I have to agree with Houstondan, slates vertical can create a danger if you have to avoid anything. Unless your truck is a heavy commercial one.####

bigshooter
01-09-2004, 12:12 PM
I've hauled slate a few times and did it vertically.
I cut 3/4" pieces of plywood to go in between each piece and at the outside edges and then used cargo straps around each end to cinch the whole thing together making one "package" out of it, then I used two more cargo straps to keep it upright without falling over in the pickup bed.
I have also hauled huge rectangular mirrors out of an antique saloon backbar this same way.
The thing that breaks slate,mirrors and glass is the flex that occurs when your vehicle bounces from the road thats why when you see a glass replacement company truck they have racks on the outside hauling the glass vertically.
It worked for me.

logixrat
01-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Well I got the table moved the other night. When it was all said and done, my boss insisted I take one our Ford crew cabs with the turbo diesel and 16' gooseneck flatbed trailer. Needless to say I had overkill for what I was hauling. We loaded the table face down on the back of the trailer.

But with the extra space in the crew cab, I opted to wrap every piece in blankets and then stood it up vertically on the floorboard between the front seat and backseat. Put a few more blankets in for cushion and then pushed the front seat back so it kind of sandwiched the slate real good between the 2 seats.

It worked out good for us, as I had about 50 miles to drive home and bumpy roads. I'm sure we would have cracked the slate had we put it on the trailer flat. Of course, that's cause that sucker had so much bounce. It don't run right unless there is 10,000lbs or so on it.

Either way, we made it work and got it home & moved in safely with no damages. Now I'm just working on getting it all level so I can actually play a few games! Thanks to all that contributed, I appreciate it!!

JimS
01-10-2004, 06:54 AM
You are going to need a Starrett Machinists Level...one that's about a foot long. Try eBay and be ready to pay. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif