PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you to run your first rack?

srvrules
01-05-2004, 09:06 PM
either nine ball or eight ball. I feel like I'm not really gaining any ground with my game; its been about eight months since I started playing and I've only ran two racks, both nine ball with one or two slopped in.

tateuts
01-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Trying to learn pool by playing nine ball is like trying to learn golf on a 7,000 yard PGA course - maybe you can but it's sure not going to be pretty.

My suggestion is to take some lessons to make sure you have the basics right, then switch over practice to straight pool to learn basic position and shotmaking.

It's a lot harder to run a rack of nine ball, and even eight ball, than it is to run a rack of straight pool.

Straight pool teaches the basic shotmaking and position game necessary to play nine ball. Nine ball requires more shotmaking skill and more advanced cue ball skills. When I was first learning the game, it took about a month of solid practice before I ran my first rack of straight pool. Then I could run a rack just about every time I played. By the time I started playing nine ball a year or so into the straight pool game, I could already run a rack of nine ball, I just wasn't all that hot at it.

Chris