PDA

View Full Version : Loose Ferrule

nhp
01-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Yesterday I noticed my cue was making a high-pitched noise with every hit, and it turned out my ferrule is loose. Should I take it to a cuemaker and get it fixed, or should I just buy a new shaft? What do you think is the average price to fix a loose ferrule?

Cueless Joey
01-06-2004, 02:41 PM
30 dollars.
Must be an unthreaded ferrule with yellow glue.
Pretty common with imports.

hadenball
01-06-2004, 02:53 PM
I would definitely take it to a cue repair man. If you have been playing with this cue a long time you might want to get the same ferrule and tip put on. He can point you in the right direction for what you need . haden

Troy
01-06-2004, 03:30 PM
I would definitely take it to a repair person to be fixed. The existing ferrule may be salvaged, but the tip should certainly be replaced since it is already sized exactly to the ferrule and getting it back dead center is difficult at best.

If I was doing the job it would be $20 for ferrule & basic tip, possibly less if I salvaged the existing ferrule.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Yesterday I noticed my cue was making a high-pitched noise with every hit, and it turned out my ferrule is loose. Should I take it to a cuemaker and get it fixed, or should I just buy a new shaft? What do you think is the average price to fix a loose ferrule? <hr /></blockquote>

tateuts
01-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Nat,

I don't know if you're still in touch with Jeff Haber but he's the guy to see. (818) 885-7809.

Chris

SpiderMan
01-06-2004, 05:40 PM
I replace ferrules for $15, but I don't really like to do it because you never know what you'll find. Once I took two shafts from a guy who wanted ferrules replaced, and when I turned off the old ferrules I got a real shock.

The cue had apparently come with short 1/2" ferrules, and someone had replaced them with 1" ferrules. After putting the new ferrules on, he had just "plugged the hole" in the end of the new ferrule with a semi-round hand-whittled dowel. So, when I turned off the 1" ferrules I was left looking at a wierd, weak, butt-spliced 2-piece tenon.

The only way to make a solid and lasting repair was to cut off the complete tenons and do a full replacement by drilling and implanting. A lot of work for the price I charged!

SpiderMan