PDA

View Full Version : Question about marble pool table

slbrown
01-06-2004, 04:36 PM
I have a second hand pool table. It's a Fisher table with a marble bed (or so I am told). We replaced the bumpers and felt on it a few years ago. We don't use it mainly because we don't have the room for it in our house and it ends up being a giant storage table with boxes on it and under it.

We are thinking about selling it but I am wondering about the marble bed. I haven't been able to find any information on marble pool tables. I don't want to get ripped off. Would something like this be worth the same as slate? More or less? It's 7/8" thick.

Thanks

NH_Steve
01-06-2004, 05:20 PM
The only marble bed pool table I have ever seen dated from about 1850 -- or maybe even older!

You should be able to crawl under the table with a flashlight and look up and see the underside of the 'marble'. Slate is a dull grey/green -- usually pretty uniform in color. Marble is, well, marbley looking -- that is with swirls and streaks of different shades -- usually lots of white with gray or black swirls. Of course there is rare green marble, which is predominently green with white swirls in it.

I'm not an antique billiard table mechanic, so maybe others would know more -- but I think I know the difference between slate and marble /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

logixrat
01-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey NH_Steve, just FYI...I saw a "marbelized" slate the other day on a BRAND NEW Brunswick table at a local pool shop. It was a grey/white marble look and it caught my eye. I brought it to the attention of the sales rep, but they didn't seem to suprised by it. I wonder if that is some of the Brazilian slate?

In regards to the original question...how old is the table? Is it possible it was from the 1800 era? Was Fisher even around then? Just think'n if it is truly marble, it might be worth a little more than you think.

Scott Lee
01-07-2004, 05:29 AM
Like NH Steve said, it is impossible that your pool table has a marble bed, unless it is a VERY old antique...which eliminates Fisher. Marble was used occasionally until about 1880, when slate was replaced, as a much more durable material. Slate has been used for table beds since the early 1800's, and remains the choice for quality tables even today.

Scott Lee

Ken
01-07-2004, 08:19 AM
There are several places where the Fischer tables with marble beds are mentioned. Could be a one-piece. Here's some info about the company:

"Fischer Manufacturing Company was started in Tipton in 1949 by Ewald L. Fischer. He built his first crude table in his basement with the help of two assistants, an electric drill, a bench saw and other hand tools. As the years passed the table design improved and the company kept growing.

Seeing his success, other towns offered Fischer a free plant if he would move to their communities. But Ewald Fischer said no. "I was born here," he said, "I'm a Tipton boy and all my friends are here." Companies attempt*ing to buy his business never gave up. It was not until December 1968 that Fischer Manufacturing, the country's largest builder of pool tables at that time, was sold to Spalding Company, a division of Questor, the present owners."

Used home tables don't bring a lot of money upon resale regardless of the bed material. If it plays reasonably well and is marble that shouldn't be a major factor either up or down in price.

BTW, You can buy a brand new table with either a slate, marble, glass or concrete playing surface so marble is not just for antiques.
KenCT

slbrown
01-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Thank you! It is definitely not more than 30 years old. It might not even be 20 years old, but it's probably close. It's not a bad table. I just don't have the room for it, and as long as it's not worth any more than the average used table, I can sell it guilt free and buy a new one when I have a larger house. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif