PDA

View Full Version : funny cue balls

Keith Talent
01-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Anybody know who might be selling those cue balls with the 6 red dots? Haven't found them at any online sites. Enjoy seeing them on TV. Think they'd be interesting to fool around with.

woody_968
01-06-2004, 07:12 PM
A friend of mine had one years ago, I looked for a long time and couldnt find one. I have seen them included in a new set of super aramith pro balls, but thats the only place I have found them.

ras314
01-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Mueller lists them as the Super Aramith Pro Cue Ball Pro Cup at $13.95. www.poolndarts.com (http://www.poolndarts.com)

Fred Agnir
01-07-2004, 08:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Anybody know who might be selling those cue balls with the 6 red dots? Haven't found them at any online sites. Enjoy seeing them on TV. Think they'd be interesting to fool around with. <hr /></blockquote>I received mine from Mueller's last week.

I've thought for a long time that in order to dead squat the cueball on a break, you need a touch of follow. Many believe you need a touch of draw, but the large mass of the rack will already bounce the cueball backwards.

What I found with the red polka dotted cueball is exactly what I thought, and moreso. The cueball has a good amount of follow when I squat the cueball. The times when it rifles straight back at me, I don't see a ton of draw. That is, an absence of follow or maybe hint of draw is all that's needed to rifle that cueball straight back on the break.

How you aim and achieve the follow is entirely up to you. For me, I have to aim below center on the umph breaks. For sure, I'm dropping my elbow. On the more controlled breaks with arm action only, I've had good success aiming at center ball and sometimes a hair above center.

Fred

Keith Talent
01-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks much for the tip. Just ordered one.

Like Fred says, I'm looking forward to getting a better understanding of what works and what I'm actually doing. When I'm loading up the ball, or just putting small amounts of spin on it.
Hopefully, I can get into some games with it against better players and learn somethin.

ras314
01-07-2004, 09:16 AM
Will probably get one too, if I ever get a table. I've tried using a striped ball as cb to see whats going on. Think I need a good camcorder to tell much.

Keith Talent
01-07-2004, 09:23 AM
Hey, why wait? I don't have a table, either. I'll just tote it along to the ph ... and yeah, some of those other balls look TOO instructional, kind of like orthopedic shoes. Polka-dot thing's gained some legitimacy from U.S. Open and other tourneys, so hope I won't get too much abuse for pulling it out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
01-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Well, I aready haul around 4 cb. Case is full, besides getting a little heavy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Besides it's the viedo I want, my old eyes seem a little slow.

Seems like I can get the cb to squat when breaking from the side rail by using a little outside english. Sometimes anyway, need a better stroke more than anything.

DoomCue
01-07-2004, 03:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>*SNIP*
Seems like I can get the cb to squat when breaking from the side rail by using a little outside english.
*SNIP*<hr /></blockquote>

If you're hitting the one ball squarely to get it to "squat," what's outside english?

-djb

ras314
01-07-2004, 07:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DoomCue:</font><hr>
If you're hitting the one ball squarely to get it to "squat," what's outside english?
-djb <hr /></blockquote>

Well, breaking from the right rail and using a little left it appears to be outside english. You are right, after thinking of the one ball by itself that is not outside english. Amazing how the cb just sits there.

Of course there is always the question if I'm hitting the cb where I want to. And if I actually hit center of the one ball. That is center from the angle of break, a little right of where the center would be compared to breaking from the head spot. Suspect I usually don't do either with a fast break. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif