PDA

View Full Version : Slate Liner

logixrat
01-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, a real quick question. I was out looking at tables this weekend as I am in the USED market and was using NEW tables as a comparison guide. Anyhow, one of the things I noticed is most people on here indicate you should get a wood liner attached to your slate. It seems most the tables I saw had an approximate 4" slate liner attached directly to the frame and then the slate layed on top of that.

Do they actually make slate with a wood liner glued to the slate as well? Which is better or does it really matter? I can't see how having wood backing over an area that has no frame will really better SUPPORT the slate. But maybe I'm looking at this wrong.

Please help!!

Thanks!
LogixRat
P-)

ras314
01-07-2004, 09:29 AM
I'm suprised at the lack of answers to this. How would you fasten the bed cloth without a wood liner on the slate? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ken
01-07-2004, 09:51 AM
On a well constructed table the wood backing will be supported by frame members. If there is no wood backing to staple the cloth to they use a fast drying glue. I would avoid those tables that use glue or do not support the backing with frame members.
KenCT

ras314
01-07-2004, 10:09 AM
I'm assuming the wood backing you mention is glued and/or bolted to the edge of the slate. I've seen one table recovered and glued rather than stapled, about a year now and no problem so far. Doesn't seem like that would work well on bare slate.

ras~~pretty ignorant but learning~~

Ken
01-07-2004, 10:40 AM
The only method I'm familar with for fastening the wood backing is by wood screws countersunk through the top of the slate. Perhaps some glue is used to avoid holes in the playing surface. I don't know. I assume the wood is not machined to anywhere near the precision of the slate and may be the source of leveling problems.

The glue for the cloth is sprayed about 5 inches onto the slate and the cloth. After it gets tacky the cloth is stretched and stuck to it. Seems like a crude method to me.
KenCT

woody_968
01-07-2004, 05:52 PM
The glue method is what is used on valley bar tables as there is no wood under the slate when you lift the slate out of the table. The 3M spray glue actually works very well. So well infact that you better make sure you have it stretched tight before you put the cloth into the glue or you may have a little trouble moving it /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

logixrat
01-07-2004, 11:43 PM
After doing some research on this, here is what I was able to conclude:

1) Most of the medium to high quality tables will come with a slate liner, and that slate liner attaches directly to the slate itself (in most cases). Basically it's normally 3/4" thick, and can vary from MDF board to actual hardwood materials. The slate IS NOT covered entirely, but rather just framed in...sorta like a picture frame.

2) Golden West tables use a slightly different technique. Rather than attaching the wood liner directly to the slate, they screw it into the frame. So you have about an 8" piece of hardwood sitting directly on top of your frame. It is placed so the slate aligns perfectly on edge, and you can then staple the cloth to it.

3) Olhausen uses a similar technique, but they give it a fancy name called "UniLiner". The difference being the piece of wood is only about 6" in width and DOES NOT extend to the edges of the slate. But they DO frame the slate with a wood liner so you have something to staple to.

I know this kind of answers my own question, but I wasn't aware of this info when I asked. Rather my quest for knowledge pushed me to ask on other forums and also visit more indepthly with some dealers. Hopefully this info will help someone else later down the road. Although I love the game of pool, I am just now actually taking time to learn how a table is built so I can buy one. I honestly didn't realize there was so much variation in the construction.

Take care,
LogixRat
P-)