PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion?

mattr
01-07-2004, 09:14 AM
I am new to the game of billiards. I am in the process of completing a game room in my home and would like to purchase a table. I have set a budget of $2000 for a table (not including accessories). My biggest problem has been finding reviews or recommendations of tables. I have searched as many forums as I could find and have found a lot of suggestions for looking into used tables, such as Brunswick or Diamond. However, I am interested in a new table. I have also found websites outlining what to look for in quality table construction. The only tables I have seen are by American Heritage (Boston model) and Fischer (Dutchess model). Comparing the two, each has some qualities that make a good table. However, some components are of lesser quality than recommended. I assume this is to be expected in a table in this price range.

As a result, I am as confused as ever. Does anyone have a recommendation regarding these table (or others in this price range). Any opinion is useful to me.

Thanks for all your help. I look forward to learning much more from this forum.

Matt

Popcorn
01-07-2004, 09:23 AM
Tables lose a lot of value, you should look used.

=k=
01-07-2004, 11:03 AM
i agree with popcorn.. i don't know your area but here in phoenix i looked at several used tables, most of the were 3000 plus new and they were asking 750 to 1500 for these tables.. at least 85% of these tables looked show room quailty.. i think most of them are status symbols.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
01-07-2004, 11:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mattr:</font><hr> have searched as many forums as I could find and have found a lot of suggestions for looking into used tables, such as Brunswick or Diamond. However, I am interested in a new table. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote popcorn:</font><hr> Tables lose a lot of value, you should look used. <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> Popcorn, did you miss this part of his post? It appears he is not worried about an investment in a table. Rather, he is more interested in a brand new table in his price range instead of a used one in his price range.

eg8r

Perk
01-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Hmmm..in your price range, I would recommend Gandy. This tourney I was at last weekend has 2 9' Gandy's brought in for the tourney, and the guy paid 1500.00 for them. He said he bought them out of Canada. He would have sold them right after the tourney for 1700.00 to anyone that would hall them. Obviously the logistics can add some money to your table, but these 2 tables played really good. They were covered with Simonis_860, and that helps /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Not sure what the lasting power might be for a 1500-2000 table, but if you take care of it, I would imagine it would last a long time.

&lt;--me, I would wait out for a used Diamond, or keep offering money to your local poolhall in hopes he might sell the table you like. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mattr
01-07-2004, 12:32 PM
I can understand why many people would suggest a used table. You can get a much higher quality table at a fraction of its initial retail cost. However, there are many factors at play in my case. First, there is no guarantee how long I would have to wait to find a used table, both in my price range and a style which my wife would approve! Second, I'm guessing I would be responsible for disassembly and transportation of the table. That could be a problem. Third, not having specific knowledge of table construction I would not know what to expect from tables other than the few specific models mentioned in these forums. In addition, even if it were a recommended table I would not have the experience to identify a problem with the table if there were one. It could be as serious as a structural problem or as minor as needing new felt. I probably wouldn't know until I hired someone to assembly it, and at that point it would cost me additional money.

Believe me, I would love to get a professional quality table at a bargain price. But my needs warrant a "good" table at a good price. I just need a little help selcting that table.

Thanks for all the replies.

Matt