PDA

View Full Version : Billiard Workbook?? Anyone forked the cash?

RUNaRAK
01-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Just curious if anyone has spent the $159.00 for the Billiard workbook by Dr. D????
Sure is alot of cash for a book of drills but wondered about everyone else's opinions?

Thanks, Joe

Cueless Joey
01-07-2004, 09:59 AM
The Monk's Lessons is a fifth of that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
01-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Many posters on here have recommended the Blackbelt Billiards book on drills. I just ordered mine yesterday.

RUNaRAK
01-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Just to clarify, I have not intentions on spending this type of money. I do not even know diddley about the author?
Wanted to know if anyone else has!
I have the BlackBelt Billiards and it is a great book of drills for a REASONABLE price.
I hope she (Dr. D) sells a bunch and that it is a great aid. I could not see myself paying that large of a price without many strong reviews from others more brave than myself, willing to part with their hard earned cash..
I hope to get some great help in my upcoming lesson with Scott Lee..
Rather spend my money on lessons!

ras314
01-07-2004, 10:19 AM
That's a good chunk of money better spent getting a good instructer that will probably give you some useful drills anyway. IMHO.

If Scott Lee's drills ever get routine I might work on others. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-07-2004, 11:03 AM
God bless Dr. D. She's a nice lady. But that is a lot of cash.

Scott Lee
01-07-2004, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> If Scott Lee's drills ever get routine I might work on others. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

ras314...That's the IDEA! LOL...for the drills to get to be "routine"! That means that you can do them all (all 5 drills), on the first try...and do them in order, with no mistakes or misses!! LOL BTW, when these become routine, you should be able to perform your exercises in about 15 minutes TOTAL! This should be a "player's" warmup routine, imo. It is structured, simple yet disciplined, and quick to finish (when you're able to do them all!). Then you're free to move on to other drills, or play games. jmo, but it works...

Scott Lee

Kato
01-07-2004, 04:04 PM
It is 1,000 pages long which is why the high cost. Dr. D put alot of effort into this book and I congratulate her. Too bad I have trouble doing A drill rather than 800 drills /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato

woody_968
01-07-2004, 04:21 PM
It has 1000 pages? wow, I may actually look into it then lol. You know how many lessons you would have to take to learn 1000 drills? Lets see, $150, 1000 drills, thats .15 per drill. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know 1000 pages doesnt mean 1000 drills, just wanted to make the math simple.

SpiderMan
01-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Does anyone need 800 drills? Is each truly unique? For me it would be sort of like getting 800 belts, ie even if they were free I'd toss most of them. A dozen or so well-thought-out examples will keep almost anyone gainfully employed. Check with Scott Lee.

If you really need more, I'd recommend the Pro Book. Everything isn't a drill, and it's a little redundant also at times (duplicate record-keeping sheets, geez, Bob must have been paid by the page), but for the most part it's highly relevant stuff by someone who comes across as a knowledgeable player.

In the end, it's not the specifics so much as your own dedication to plan and follow a routine. Heck, I could spend the rest of my life improving if I just had the resolve to complete Bert's "60 minute workout" every single day.

SpiderMan

woody_968
01-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Agreed, still working on Berts tape myself, just not as often as I should!

ras314
01-07-2004, 07:45 PM
My gosh, Scott, if I waited till all five the first try were routine I'd never get to play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Actually I've never finished the fifth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

My pool hall building is up but am having a heck of a problem getting it ready for a table. Maybe by spring I can get to serious work on the drills.

Popcorn
01-07-2004, 11:24 PM
I would no be so quick to criticize, it may not be as much money as it sounds, it depends on what you get. Check out the website.

http://www.billiardsworkbook.com/

Billy
01-08-2004, 02:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I would no be so quick to criticize, it may not be as much money as it sounds, it depends on what you get. Check out the website.

http://www.billiardsworkbook.com/ <hr /></blockquote>

what other billiard related book started at $150 ?

jmo, but on the high side if you ask me

how many U buyin'? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CarolNYC
01-08-2004, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is each truly unique <hr /></blockquote>
Hey Spiderman,
How are you?
Dr. D sent me a copy of this book awhile ago and asked me to look it over-this is not an ordinary book-this is a three-ring binder and just to give you a visual aid, I measured it and weighed it-
lbs. ~ 10
L- 11 1/2 in.
W- 12 1/2 in.
H- 4 1/2 in.
It has 1-5 intro sections, than, 1-15 drill sections-each drill section is specific-
Fundamentals,pocketing,position,jump shots,rail shots,masses,etc.
All I can say is when you SEE it, you will be overwhelmed-we all know what a book looks like-well, this is like a "bible"
Take care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bluewolf
01-08-2004, 07:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>

Dr. D sent me a copy of this book awhile ago and asked me to look it over-this is not an ordinary book-this is a three-ring binder and just to give you a visual aid, I measured it and weighed it-
lbs. ~ 10
L- 11 1/2 in.
W- 12 1/2 in.
H- 4 1/2 in.
It has 1-5 intro sections, than, 1-15 drill sections-each drill section is specific-
Fundamentals,pocketing,position,jump shots,rail shots,masses,etc.
All I can say is when you SEE it, you will be overwhelmed-we all know what a book looks like-well, this is like a "bible"
Take care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Carol,

This sounds like a great resource. While I have improved a lot, I would like to improve more And a little more structure in my practice is very much needed.

Before I fork out the money for it, could you tell us a little about the format of the drills. I am more right brained, liking drills that are visual and easily understood. For instance, Blackjack's drills were good, but some were too 'busy' for me.

I think that ww would love it. I am just asking for more info to see how 'user friendly' you think it is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
01-08-2004, 08:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I would no be so quick to criticize, it may not be as much money as it sounds, it depends on what you get. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually I did not criticize. I just don't need that many drills as much as I need $150 /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I still have not completed Black Belt Billiards and it was only $20.

I like Dr. D and I wish her much success.

cheesemouse
01-08-2004, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> Just to clarify, I have not intentions on spending this type of money. I do not even know diddley about the author?
Wanted to know if anyone else has!
I have the BlackBelt Billiards and it is a great book of drills for a REASONABLE price.
I hope she (Dr. D) sells a bunch and that it is a great aid. I could not see myself paying that large of a price without many strong reviews from others more brave than myself, willing to part with their hard earned cash..
I hope to get some great help in my upcoming lesson with Scott Lee..
Rather spend my money on lessons! <hr /></blockquote>

Is the cost of this compelation of drills worth the money? How does one weight the worth of any improvement in your pool game? Where do you spend your pool dollars now and has what you've spent raised the level of your game? Does that extra $300 cue you have but never use raise the level of your game, how about that $400 leather case you just couldn't resist? Are you more likely to spend your pool dollars on things or on improvement? In my opinion the people that reject this drill book out of hand do so because just the idea of drills brings up images of 'actually' having to work in some purposeful structured way to improve their games and their past history leads them to believe that this would be a waste of their hard earned dollars. These people should just go ahead and buy another $500 feel good cue so it can gather dust with the other ones. Those that aren't afraid to WORK on their games should consider the purchase of this new work book, after all, even if it gathers dust at least the potential for improvement in their game is there staring at them, gnawing at them until they can't stand it and actually begin the improvement process.......

..........now that's just crazy talk cheese, I'd rather have four of my extra shafts changed over to Morri tips with pads that would surely raise the level of my game......

Sorry for the mockery and sarcasium but there is nothing I enjoy more than walking up to a tournament match with my package of two cues and jumpstick in a case someone gave me all totalling maybe $300 and watching my opponent unload his $2500 package. In the back of my mind "I wonder if this guy does drills?"......nope, he doesn't.........LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-08-2004, 08:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>
..Does that extra $300 cue you have but never use raise the level of your game, how about that $400 leather case you just couldn't resist? ...<hr /></blockquote>

my thoughts exactly. well said.

CarolNYC
01-08-2004, 09:05 AM
Laura,
Due to the Holidays and re-doing three rooms in my house (carpet,furniture,painting), I have only been able to read the first five intro's and then I went to the Masse drill section.
I comprehend the book-but I can't speak for another-but I just want to let you know, right from the get-go, the book states:
"This is not intended to be an instructional or teaching guide.It is to be used in conjunction with lessons provided form a coach or instructor"
The way I would look at this book is, its a reference guide-if you have a problem with a shot, go into the "Drill book" and see what drill there is to help correct the problem-believe me, the word book is not the right word, I'd say encyclopedia!
Carol

CarolNYC
01-08-2004, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
..........now that's just crazy talk cheese, I'd rather have four of my extra shafts changed over to Morri tips with pads that would surely raise the level of my game <hr /></blockquote>
Cheesemouse,
You are too funny!
LMAO
Stay well!

Popcorn
01-08-2004, 10:20 AM
You ask if I will buy it, I probably will, but I collect that kind of stuff. People are paying a ridicules amount for the Robins one pocket book, $500.00 or more ( And except for the interesting pictures, you won't learn all that much about one pocket from that book). As far as should someone buy Dr. D's book to improve their game, they should have a chance to read an honest review or get a brief look at the book before buying. If the book is good and I don't know if it is, the money would be irrelevant. Information is one of the most valuably things you can sell. That is why a pool or golf teacher will get $50.00 or $75.00 and hour, they are pedaling information. Lets face it though, $150.00 in this day and age is very little, it is good for a night out for two at a little better then average restaurant. $150.00 will not change your life, but one good piece of information can.

RUNaRAK
01-08-2004, 10:30 AM
It is funny how a post gets so far off from the initial question. All I really asked was if anyone has bought the book. I did not say that a book or encyclopedia on pool drills was a bad thing. I just wanted to know if anyone else was spending the money.
To answer your question "cheese". No, a high dollar cue and expensive case will probably not make you any better of a player! Drills are the fastest way to gain confidence, and work on ones game.
I have a cue that I spent too much on but only because I like it. There is nothing wrong with spending big $ on a nice cue/case just to treat yourself. It feels pretty good to have a one of a kind cue.
And I do drills each time I practice, the BlackBelt Billiards workbook is great.
I may even by Dr. D's book one day. I just wanted to know if anyone else has spent the cash. The closest answer that I got was from the person that had it given to them for review..
Back to the original post... Has anyone else purchased it yet??? I never said or posted one negative thing about the Workbook..
Off the soapbox....JOE

cheesemouse
01-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Run a Rack,

When I made my attempt at a tongue in cheek rant on the subject of Dr. D's 12 pound drill book I meant it to be generic but I hit your post w/quote. It was not directed at anyone poster. Read Carols reply to my post; she understand me.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I went to your site listed in your profile and I see that you are serious about improvement and that you have a goal your working towards. I wish you well in that indeavor.

Now in answer to your question. I was giving a lesson today with an older gentleman I've been helping for acouple years now. I told him to buy the book. He does everything I tell him to do. The answer to your question is: I am giving him the information tomorrow and he will be ordering the drill book...I can assure you that I will get more out of the book than he will.......Heheheheheheee /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara
01-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Yup! I saw this book at our last event and just looking at the amount of material overwhelmed me! Dr D graciously asked me to proof it, but I had to decline. I simply would not have had the time!

And it debuts at the Super Billiards Expo at Valley Forge!

Barbara

NH_Steve
01-08-2004, 08:17 PM
I sure have to chuckle at the number of opinions here -- only two from people who have ever even seen the book -- let alone bought it. I guess it's a reflection of the culture of those of us that post on internet message boards. Who, me ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CarolNYC
01-09-2004, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All I really asked was if anyone has bought the book. <hr /></blockquote>
Yes you did and thats why I didnt respond to you because I didnt BUY the book-listen, the books gonna be at the Superbilliards-if your going, stop by Dr. D's booth and check it out-EVERYONE is going to have a different opinion and their entitled to that!
Sorry I couldnt be more help to you!
Take care!
Carol

CarolNYC
01-09-2004, 04:37 AM
Hey Cheesemouse,
Your statement made me laugh because I KNOW a real cocky guy in my neighborhood who brags and brags of what he bought, what he got and he talks all this talk but can't walk the walk for nothing!
I definitely understood you!
Stay warm!

bluewolf
01-09-2004, 06:11 AM
Well carol,

I have confidence in your opinion. Haven't many of us bought books sight unseen, baased on the recommendations of ccbers. I know that when I bought a book or the tape you mentioned 'how to run 100 balls', i have never been disappointed.

How many of us have booked lessons with scott lee, even whole day classes, at a cost of well over the cost of this book, based on the recommendations here? Again, i was not disappointed and those lessons helped me to improve my game.

From what I have been hearing, it would be the kind of resource a person could grow with. As a person got better and better, I am thinking that they would get more and more from the book; and if I were an instructor, I would really jump on it.

And where and when is 'superbilliards'?

Another side. Dr D is a semipro woman who wants to be a pro and is willing to work at her game for many hours a week. When I met her, i was extrremely impressed by her dedication and determination to reach her goal. I want to support her any way I can and what you put out you get back 1000 fold.

So, yes, we will get the book, but I would like an autographed
copy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

pooltchr
01-09-2004, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> And where and when is 'superbilliards'?

Laura <hr /></blockquote>
The last weekend every March in Valley Forge, PA

Wally_in_Cincy
01-09-2004, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
And where and when is 'superbilliards'?

<hr /></blockquote>

http://www.superbilliardsexpo.com/

dmgwalsh
01-09-2004, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
I know that when I bought a book or the tape you mentioned 'how to run 100 balls', i have never been disappointed.
Laura <hr /></blockquote>
A little off the subject, but what video is that ? Dennis

Wally_in_Cincy
01-09-2004, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> A little off the subject, but what video is that ? Dennis
<hr /></blockquote>

http://www.accu-stats.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&amp;PROD=000202&amp;BACK=A0004A1

A great video if you play 14.1

This is just as good:

http://www.accu-stats.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&amp;PROD=000199&amp;BACK=A0004A1

dmgwalsh
01-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks. They look good. I'll probably get one.

Have you heard of a video by Dallas West where he runs a hundred and then goes through it shot by shot?

Popcorn
01-09-2004, 05:54 PM
I have that tape around somewhere. He does the 100, but it is a terrible run lots of trouble. It is home video quality.

jjinfla
01-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Gee, I wonder how long it would take for me to get through it? I am about 3/4 of the way through Black belt billiards and I figure it will have taken me about a year to finish it. With a lot of hard work. Should be done around March or April. And that's reaching the black belt level in only about 90% of the drills. I fear that a tome of Dr. D's might be too overwhelming to start on. But although Dr. D has played in the WPBA (I think) she has not been playing pool all that long. And I wonder if she really has the experience to produce these drills. Or are they just a compilation of drills that have been around for some time. Thats not bad in itself because even Steve Campana gives credit to many of the drills in his book to others - especially Bert.

Seems prohibitively high to me but then it is most likely targeted to the affluent who will just set it on a shelf in their billiard rooms. Or maybe pool halls/schools will buy it as a reference for their customers.

Jake
-25-

spanky
01-09-2004, 09:00 PM
It does seem like a lot of money. But since it is in a 3 ring binder and the 5th section covers different areas of drills, it would be cool if you could just buy a certain area of drills. For instance the speed control drills, then later purchase the kick drills, etc.