PDA

View Full Version : Predator BK Ferrules

Eric.
01-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Anyone having problems with the ferrule mushrooming?

I been using the BK for about 1 1/2 years and am having a problem with the soft ferrule mushrooming a bit near the tip. I contacted Predator and they told me that this can happen, it's not warranty, and if I dont have Predator replace the ferrule, the warranty on the shaft is void. I'm thinking about putting on an Ivorine ferrule with a Synthetic Hard tip, similar to what's on most Jump cues. Anyone have any similar experiences with the BK ferrule?

Eric

KGeeED
01-07-2004, 11:11 AM
I don't have a problem with the ferrule but I do with the finish. I have been getting chips on the butt about 8" from the joint. The "paint" has chipped off and exposed the cheap looking black wood. I have found the cause to be this area hitting the metal band around the edge of the table when I break.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-07-2004, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
I been using the BK for about 1 1/2 years and am having a problem with the soft ferrule mushrooming a bit near the tip. ...<hr /></blockquote>

And this is a breaking stick? Sounds like lame engineering to me. Good thing these guys don't build bridges /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

or is it just your massive power break? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ras314
01-07-2004, 11:52 AM
I don't have the BK cue but have been using a SPW to break and play with for about 1 year. I think they have a similar ferrule material. It is now on it's third tip (the original LePro didn't last long) with no sign of the ferrule mushrooming.

Maybe a thin tip could cause this?

But then maybe I rack more than break. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

KGeeED...Thought I was the only one wacking the butt on the rail breaking.

SPetty
01-07-2004, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>I contacted Predator and they told me that this can happen, it's not warranty, and if I dont have Predator replace the ferrule, the warranty on the shaft is void. <hr /></blockquote>Say what? They won't replace the ferrule under warranty, but if someone else replaces it the warranty is void? I know they don't warranty for warpage... What's left?

Rod
01-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Eric,

There is almost always a comprimise or should I say trade off? Light soft ferrule = mushroom especially if the tip gets to low. Slow you break speed down to 25. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod

Cueless Joey
01-07-2004, 12:35 PM
If Predator just used threaded melamine ferrule, there'd be no problems.
Instead they used a soft hyped-up low deflection ferrule. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
01-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

My opinion too that it is lousy engineering for a break stick. Did they think that this stick would be used on finesse shots?!

I do have a WB tip that I cut down thin, this might be compounding the problem.

Predator has a lifetime warranty on the shaft, against defects. Apparently, if I replace the ferrule with anything but a Predator ferrule, it voids the warranty on the shaft /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Maybe I should tone down my hyper break /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Yes I agree that Predator should have gone with a Melamine ferrule.

The bottom line is...

F- Predator &amp; their warranty. I'm putting a Melamine ferrule on. I'll probably try a synthetic hard tip at first.

Eric

SPetty
01-09-2004, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>Predator has a lifetime warranty on the shaft, against defects. Apparently, if I replace the ferrule with anything but a Predator ferrule, it voids the warranty on the shaft.<hr /></blockquote>That's my problem/question... Isn't the ferrule part of that shaft that's under warranty? Isn't a mushrooming ferrule a defective ferrule? Is all they're warrantying the glue holding the splices together?

KGeeED
01-09-2004, 11:31 AM
After having this BK cue for about a year I don't think I would recommend it. Their warranty seems to be smoke and mirrors. There are other breaking cues for about the same price made by good custom cue makers. I think Andy Gilbert has one for around $300 and so does Mike Gullassy.

Eric.
01-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Apparently, all Predator warranties is the shaft wood from "defects" (glue?). I had one I sawed in half, once. I should send it in for a warranty inspection /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Eric

Troy
01-09-2004, 02:56 PM
IMO the entire shaft is under warantee. However, a mushroomed ferrule is probably a sign of mis-use, ie., waiting too long to replave a worn out tip.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> That's my problem/question... Isn't the ferrule part of that shaft that's under warranty? Isn't a mushrooming ferrule a defective ferrule? Is all they're warrantying the glue holding the splices together? <hr /></blockquote>

hadenball
01-10-2004, 09:08 AM
As others have said I think it's probably letting the tip get too thin that caused it.One other possibility is maybe the ferrule wasn't faced off flush with the tenon causing it to mushroom. If I'm not mistaken the ferrule is thin walled cause the tenon is a little oversized.
The mushrooming can probably be fixed when you go to have your tip replaced if you don't mind losing a little bit off of the ferrule. Do you maybe have a way of putting a picture of the shaft on here? haden