PDA

View Full Version : Your 8-ball break...

woody_968
01-07-2004, 05:54 PM
I normally play 9-ball but will be playing in an 8-ball tourny this weekend. I normally break well for 9-ball but have trouble breaking 8-ball for some reason. I typically dont like to use the second ball break. Any suggestions or tips?

dg-in-centralpa
01-07-2004, 07:21 PM
I always use the second ball with inside english. This will pull the cb off the side rail and back into the pack. I've tried other breaks from just off the head ball to the third ball but still come back to the second.

DG - for what it's worth

ray
01-07-2004, 07:58 PM
i shoot straight into the head ball with top english.

the cue hits the head ball causing a good spread and then rolls through, usually pocketing a few in the corners..

ray

ras314
01-07-2004, 08:33 PM
If I use follow to run thru the rack all that other junk flying around seems to want to put the cb in. So I just try to draw the cb back some and hope.

Don't like 8 ball, especialy on a 7 ft. Too darn crowded.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-08-2004, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ray:</font><hr> i shoot straight into the head ball with top english.

the cue hits the head ball causing a good spread and then rolls through, usually pocketing a few in the corners..

ray <hr /></blockquote>

After years of breaking 8-ball and rarely pocketing a ball, I went to the break you describe. Now I pocket a ball at least half of the time. If I use just a touch of follow the CB will stop. With more follow it will go thru the rack farther. This is on fairly slow bar-box cloth.

On faster cloth it does not take as much follow to send the CB thru the rack.

I don't like the second ball break because it tends to push the balls to one side of the table.

But that's just me.

bluewolf
01-08-2004, 07:58 AM
I can get a good spread by hitting the front ball with dead center on the cb and the cb ends up in the middle of the table. The problem is that i have a hard time getting balls to drop. They seem to drop easier on the 9 ball break. Maybe I am not breaking hard enough?

Laura

woody_968
01-08-2004, 08:12 AM
This is my problem too Laura, I normally break them well, but without making a ball I just give my opponent a wide open table /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

armandito
01-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Hi, I learned to play billiards in Mexico, where most people play either Carom or 8 ball. I still think that playing 3 rail Carom is the best way to learn how to use the Cue ball.

Nowadays I play 8 ball mostly because I had a bartending job for 4-5 years. Of course when you're paying 50-75 cents per game, you'd rather use all 15 balls instead of 9 per game.

I am a fairly good player, never have entered tourneys, but I was able to compare my skill against frequent customers. I had always used the direct break with forward follow thru, and had good results. I, however, was taught a more efficient break that usually pockets more than one ball.
Place the cue ball as far forward, and almost to the rail, right side if you're right handed, left side otherwise. Then aim towards the front ball, but almost to where the first and second ball meet. You need to shoot using some English towards the front ball. You don't need to use excesive power, and I will recommend you testing for the perfect English amount, as the ball would end up flying out of the table otherwise, especially if it is a 7'.

This break will pocket at least one ball, but I have shot up to three on the break, and it usually gives you an option of choosing your next shot (stripes or solids). After you practice to find the best English amount, you will also leave the cue ball spinning in the center of the table, while all of the balls are spread, allowing you to plan two or three shots ahead.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
AJ

ras314
01-08-2004, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote armandito:</font><hr> Nowadays I play 8 ball mostly because I had a bartending job for 4-5 years. Of course when you're paying 50-75 cents per game, you'd rather use all 15 balls instead of 9 per game.

AJ <hr /></blockquote>
I usually play 9 and 6 ball on the bar box so as to get the most for my $.50 That is whenever people don't insist on 8 ball. Of course sometimes you lose a ball so don't have a 6 ball rack left.

Put a dollar on the 9 ball and use the 6 ball to decide who coughs up the table coins. Makes it a little more fun, but the table is going to be the winner.

If you're playing for money then just buy a roll of quarters, chunk 'em in the feed box and forget it.

mworkman
01-08-2004, 10:00 AM
In my league an 8- on the Break counts as a win. So I go for the 2nd ball and maybe 1 in 10-12 I get the 8 to go in.
Also, I just use draw off the 2nd ball. I used to use inside english also, but this was harder to judge and I feel I get just as good of break with just draw. You need to experiment with the proper speed because as was previously mentioned you could get all the balls on one side of the table if hit at the wrong speed. I usually hit them fairly hard but not near as hard as you would with the head ball hit. Use a nice smooth stroke.
Good luck.

Kato
01-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Exactly the same as my 9 ball break. Right side, 6 inches off the rail, center ball or so, direct hit on the 1 ball. Excellent results.

Kato~~~hates the second ball break, if you miss it just a little it turns the game into a one pocket match.

Voodoo Daddy
01-08-2004, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Kato~~~hates the second ball break, if you miss it just a little it turns the game into a one pocket match. <hr /></blockquote>

And whats wrong with that? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo~~~can turn any pool game into a 1-hole match

ray
01-08-2004, 02:15 PM
well i'm finally glad that i could be of some help.

i tried breaking from the left and right side but wasn't too fond of it, so just tinkered around and wound up with the follow english on the break.

when i do it, the cue ball usually stops on contact with the head ball, then picks up the english and rolls on through..

believe it or not, it's developed a pretty consistent break for me.

ray

Wally_in_Cincy
01-08-2004, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ray:</font><hr> well i'm finally glad that i could be of some help.

<font color="blue">We all help in our own way /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>

i tried breaking from the left and right side but wasn't too fond of it, so just tinkered around and wound up with the follow english on the break.

when i do it, the cue ball usually stops on contact with the head ball, then picks up the english and rolls on through..

believe it or not, it's developed a pretty consistent break for me.

ray

<font color="blue">I consistently make balls with it (relatively speaking). I don't know why, it just works. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Kato
01-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Because it's a different game and because you bank too good. My only chance against a player of your caliber is to spread 'em out, make one on the break, and run and gun from there. I can't out kick, out bank ya, out safe ya and judging by our past out shoot ya but it is my best chance.

Kato~~~~couldn't entertain beating Mighty Voodoo in his favorite game.

PS. I don't hold the same disdain I had for the game a few years back and I don't hate playing it any more.

phil in sofla
01-09-2004, 06:12 PM
I still like the 2nd ball break, for a couple of reasons. It clears out the rack area very well, not leaving clusters there, usually, and in any case, it gets the 8 out in the open somewhere, if it doesn't go in on the break. Those are both big helps in running out the rack. I find it pockets balls very well, and if you can avoid directly scratching off the stack with a missed aim point or mishit, it rarely scratches.

The main issue with it for me was scratching on the break, and/or jumping it off the table. Those are speed and aimline related, and once you've solved them, the break is superior, IMO.

If you won't consider changing (not sure I would on short notice for a tourney either, unless you had a chance to go somewhere and perfect it over a couple of hours ahead of time), have you recently tried breaking off the head rail in the middle of the table along the long string, or a ball one way or the other from center?

A fair number of people find that a good way to break with power and pocket balls, even though you may be a foot or more further from the rack than if you went to the top of the kitchen. That works very well for me in 9-ball breaking, although I prefer to break from the side rail. The bridge off the short rail ends up more level than bridging off the side rails, and probably jumps the ball up less, making for a fuller hit on the ball on the vertical axis.

Voodoo Daddy
01-09-2004, 09:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Because it's a different game and because you bank too good. My only chance against a player of your caliber is to spread 'em out, make one on the break, and run and gun from there.

First off, I have no caliber. Though once upon a time I was like a Howitzer

I can't out kick, out bank ya, out safe ya and judging by our past out shoot ya but it is my best chance.

My friend, you'd have no trouble beating me now

Kato~~~~couldn't entertain beating Mighty Voodoo in his favorite game.

Yes, its my favorite game...I'm very beatable these days

PS. I don't hold the same disdain I had for the game a few years back and I don't hate playing it any more. <hr /></blockquote>

Voodoo~~~cant hit the back rail with a 12 guage

Icon of Sin
01-11-2004, 04:43 PM
i break from right side of the table and hit the second ball using low right english, forcing the cue ball into the rail and back out to the middle of the table.

logixrat
01-11-2004, 05:56 PM
I like to break from the right side of the table, and use the diamonds as my guide. Usually 1 up and 1 over. Then I put a bottom left english on the CB and zing it towards the first ball. Usually I will pot 1-3 balls on the break, and leave myself in decent position.

Hitting the 2nd ball has NEVER worked for me as I will fling the CB off the table almost everytime guaranteed. And for whatever reason I can't do well with a straight on shot either...it just don't feel "comfortable" to me.

But I think more than anything, finding what DOES feel comfortable to you is key. Then you can adjust where you hit the OB and CB to determine what is most effective. You will always shoot better if you are comfortable. At least it's been that way for me.

UWPoolGod
01-12-2004, 10:00 AM
I used to cram the head ball from about two inches left of the head spot but started spreading the balls too good and not potting anything. Then I started hitting the 2nd ball from off of the rail side but couldn't consistently hit hard enough to not leave a ton of clusters. Last night I spied some players hitting the 2nd ball from the side with their palm on the bed of the table near the rail with a lot of power and success. So I tried it and it worked better, so I will go that rout for a while.

Aboo
01-16-2004, 06:15 PM
I alternate between sides, depending on the table. (I'm right handed)
From the left I break hitting the second ball full with center-draw.
From the right I shave the head ball, hitting the second ball as full as possible with low-outside english. This was is more difficult, but makes as many balls and CAN make the 8-ball, if you get your speed and aim line right. If your having trouble with either speed or aim, use the left side and straight draw. Punch it, you'll be fine.

That's my experience anyway. I play 90% 8-ball on a bar box and 10% 9-ball on a bar box, if someone REALLY wants to play luck-ball. I only play on big tables when the heavies start whining about clusters... (I'M JOKING!!! NO FLAMES!)

Ralph S.
01-16-2004, 06:47 PM
I find the second ball break to side of rack over-rated. I can perform this break with no consistant problems. The one sticking point is the one Wally brought up. This break does tend to move the majority of the balls to either side pending which side the break is from.

My preference is to break from head on. I place the cb about one foot from the rail and hit very firm with a little low left. I use this same break for nine ball. I get a very good spread and usually have a high ball make percentage from the break. Just my opinion though, as everyone has a preference.