PDA

View Full Version : Balance points

stickman
04-19-2002, 03:54 PM
My favorite shooting stick is a little rearward balanced. It is about an inch and a half more rearward balanced than my Viking. I love the balance of my favorite shooter, and loved it the first time I picked it up. I could tell it had a different balance than most sticks I had shot with, but never measured it until recently. My custom stick has a 12mm shaft, and my Viking has a 13mm. I got to wondering how much difference the different shafts made. My Viking shaft will screw onto my custom, but not vise-versa. So I put the 13mm shaft on my custom stick, and found that the shaft size made little, if any, difference.

04-19-2002, 05:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> My favorite shooting stick is a little rearward balanced. It is about an inch and a half more rearward balanced than my Viking. I love the balance of my favorite shooter, and loved it the first time I picked it up. I could tell it had a different balance than most sticks I had shot with, but never measured it until recently. My custom stick has a 12mm shaft, and my Viking has a 13mm. I got to wondering how much difference the different shafts made. My Viking shaft will screw onto my custom, but not vise-versa. So I put the 13mm shaft on my custom stick, and found that the shaft size made little, if any, difference. <hr></blockquote>

Just curious, what's the balance point of your favorite stick and what brand it is?

stickman
04-19-2002, 08:06 PM
My favorite is a custom cue made by a local cue maker. He moved and I'm not sure if he still builds cues or not. It's balance point is 41" from the tip. My Viking is 39 1/2".

04-19-2002, 09:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> My favorite is a custom cue made by a local cue maker. He moved and I'm not sure if he still builds cues or not. It's balance point is 41" from the tip. My Viking is 39 1/2". <hr></blockquote>

Is it around 17-18" from the butt? Thanks!

stickman
04-19-2002, 09:39 PM
Both are 58" cues and the one I prefer is about 17" from the butt. The other is 18 1/2". Check out this thread and the reply from Tony M, a cue builder. http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=9519&amp;p age=1&amp;view=expanded&amp;sb=5&amp;o=21#Post9519

Cueless Joey
04-20-2002, 12:22 AM
I like mine at 18 1/2. It makes it easier to get in line with a forward-balanced cue.

Chris Cass
04-20-2002, 01:54 AM
Hi Joey,

My South West is 58 1/4" and my balance point is 18 1/2" exact. I can feel a slight change in balance when I change shafts. The hit still remains sloid though. It's 19 3/4 oz.

Regards,

C.C.

04-20-2002, 10:01 AM
I found out that i like the balance at 18.5 from butt end.The Judd cue and McDaniel are balanced at 18.5 and i like it.
Misel

Chris Cass
04-20-2002, 12:35 PM
Sounds like some nice cues you have there. I'll have to look at a few sites and check them out. I agree, 18.5 just seems right to me too.

Regards,

C.C.

04-22-2002, 10:12 AM
I'm surprised that you see no difference in your 12mm and 13mm shafts. Two of the shafts I have for my Schuler are 12mm and 13mm. The spin using the 12mm shaft is much more dramatic than the 13mm. Also, the squirt is vastly different using the 12mm shaft, almost none for reasonable shots.

stickman
04-22-2002, 10:28 AM
I see little or no difference in the balance. I get more spin with the 12mm. I was told once that tip size has no bearing on how much spin, or draw you can put on the ball. I don't recall now who told me this. Oh well, I'll just keep deluding myself that the 12mm draws a ball better. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

TonyM
04-22-2002, 02:12 PM
"I was told once that tip size has no bearing on how much spin, or draw you can put on the ball"

Imo, this statement is true. Tip size in itself, cannot affect how much spin can, or cannot be put on a ball. Spin is produced by the tip/ball contact point, and the speed of the hit, not the size of the tip. The "curvature" of the tip however, can affect the spin versus shaft displacement. The small the tip curvature, the farther from center the contact point will be for a given shaft displacement (measured from the center of the shaft of course).

What really happens is that most people tend to put a smaller tip curvature on their smaller diameter shafts because it "looks" right. So they get fooled into thinking that the smaller tip produces more spin.

The other aspect is that with a smaller tip, it is easier to judge where the actual contact point is. So you tend to hit your intended contact point more easily (or reliably) with a smaller tip than with a larger tip. This is why you won't see pro 3C players using a large tip (common 3C tip sizes are 11.5 mm to 12.0 mm, even though the balls are larger than pool balls).

It is easy to set up a challenge draw shot and convince yourself that you cannot get more spin with a smaller tip, versus a larger tip.

I found that I could draw the ball just as well with a 14.0 mm tip, as with a 11.0 mm tip!

But the smaller tip was more "accurate".

Tony
-hears the old smaller tip = more spin myth at least once a day...