PDA

View Full Version : why need a ferrule

spanky
01-08-2004, 02:54 PM
I like a very hard hit to my cues. I was just wondering why cues even need a ferrule. Why not just turn down the tip to the correct diameter and glue on a tip right to the shaft with no ferrule. Is there some function of the ferrule other than softening the hit that I am missing ?

thanks

SpiderMan
01-08-2004, 03:25 PM
A little speculation here, but I don't think most ferrules soften the hit. If the ferrule is harder than wood (most are), it should reduce compression by allowing the hard (ferrule) tip backing to be supported by a greater amount of softer (wood) area.

Hit questions aside, I would think that an unferruled shaft would be more prone to splitting down the grain.

SpiderMan

Fred Agnir
01-08-2004, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spanky:</font><hr> I like a very hard hit to my cues. I was just wondering why cues even need a ferrule. Why not just turn down the tip to the correct diameter and glue on a tip right to the shaft with no ferrule. Is there some function of the ferrule other than softening the hit that I am missing ?

thanks <hr /></blockquote>To prevent end-splitting, I'd say. Of course, if you're meticulous about cue maintenance, then know that there are some people out there that do not have a ferrule on their cue.

Fred

daviddjmp
01-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Bob Jewett plays in our Saturday Straight Pool league and uses an old Balabushka with no ferrule at all, just a tip glued onto the end of the shaft and he never had any type of problem. In fact he ran 77 balls and out in the finals a couple of weeks ago.

Troy
01-08-2004, 08:25 PM
You do NOT need a ferrule... if you want to shorten your shaft every time it splits...

The ferrule is there to protect the wood. The ferrule is normally harder than the shaft wood. Bob Jewitt (SP?) has about the shortest ferrule I've ever seen at about 1/8"-1/4".
long (short).

Troy

Wally_in_Cincy
01-09-2004, 07:34 AM
While touring Ashland, the historical home of Henry Clay in Lexington KY, I noticed the billiard cues were about 48" long, leather tipped, with no ferrule.

Wally~~explained to the tour guide why the table had no pockets, she had always wondered about that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Big_Jon
01-09-2004, 06:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>I'm a pool shootin' boy
My name is Willy McCoy
But down home they call me Slim
<hr /></blockquote>

And i'm lookin' for the gang on 42nd street, drivin' a drop top cadillac, well they took all my money, and it may sound funny, but i'm gonna get my money back...

Sorry... couldn't resist...

WaltVA
01-09-2004, 09:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>I'm a pool shootin' boy
My name is Willy McCoy
<hr /></blockquote>

And i'm lookin' for the gang on 42nd street, drivin' a drop top cadillac, well they took all my money, and it may sound funny, but i'm gonna get my money back...

Sorry... couldn't resist... <hr /></blockquote>

Thought that was "looking for the king of 42nd street, he drivin' a drop-top Cadillac; well, he took all my money...."

Walt in VA

Big_Jon
01-15-2004, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>I'm a pool shootin' boy
My name is Willy McCoy
<hr /></blockquote>

Sorry... couldn't resist... <hr /></blockquote>

Thought that was "looking for the king of 42nd street, he drivin' a drop-top Cadillac; well, he took all my money...."

Walt in VA <hr /></blockquote>

Walt,

Ah Ha!!! we are in luck, because today when i got in my car, my jim croce Definitive Collection cd (disk 1) was in the cd player and i checked... It's gang... i'm sure of it...

Thanks

Jon

SPetty
01-15-2004, 01:41 PM
You Don't Mess Around With Jim lyrics page (http://www.twin-music.com/lyrics_file/jimcroce/mess/you.html)

WaltVA
01-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks, SPetty; gotten to the age where I don't trust my memory too much, and this might be one of those songs like "Louie, Louie" where everybody hears their own set of lyrics. Nice to see the official version of what Jim C. wrote, though.

Walt in VA (remembers some parts of the 60's WAY better than others)

SPetty
01-15-2004, 03:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr> "Louie, Louie"<hr /></blockquote> "Clean" Louie, Louie lyrics (http://www.twin-music.com/azlyrics/k_file/kingsmen.html)
"Dirty" Louie, Louie lyrics (http://www.xs4all.nl/~tdg/lyrics.html)

Kato
01-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Thank you Susan. I have Croche's Greatest Hits to and I always thought it was "King". You've made me complete again.

Kato

Big_Jon
01-15-2004, 05:18 PM
my apologies walt and spetty, i guess my hearing isn't so good at my young age lol, ok... here is one for you... i want somebody to do something i did... listen to Bob Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues... and type out the lyrics to that one... and watching the video doesn't help... even bob get's his little signs wrong...

If you want i'll post my version /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif, and then the actual lyrics from mr. dylan... i wasn't very far off... It only took me about 4 hours...

Thanks

Jon

Big_Jon
01-15-2004, 06:01 PM
and can anybody tell me what i can't get my picture to show up anymore... all i get is the little red X ever since me and ted harris debated the smoking issue...

Maybe there is something going on here...

Thanks

jon

SPetty
01-15-2004, 07:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr>Bob Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues... <hr /></blockquote> here (http://bobdylan.com/songs/subterranean.html) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JimS
01-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Some things aren't to be explained...just be grateful. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif