PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS THE BEST FELT

D4946
01-09-2004, 12:51 PM
I AM GETTING READY TO PUT TOGETHER THE USED POOL TABLE I BOUGHT AND WANT TO RE FELT IT, AND WAS WONDERING WHICH FELT IS THE BEST

Wally_in_Cincy
01-09-2004, 01:07 PM
I WOULD LIKE TO GET FELT BY JENNIFER ANNISTON

HTH

eg8r
01-09-2004, 01:46 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Wally you are too much.

eg8r

Perk
01-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Cannot go wrong with Simonis_760. IMO

Rod
01-09-2004, 02:15 PM
860 Simonis

Rod
01-09-2004, 02:18 PM
A good choice Wally, I'd rather have Elizabeth Shue though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Iowashark
01-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Simonis 860 in my opinion is the best CLOTH. I have some felt on my closet shelves, but I wouldn't recommend it for covering a pool table. Jm2c

ray
01-09-2004, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> Simonis 860 in my opinion is the best CLOTH. I have some felt on my closet shelves, but I wouldn't recommend it for covering a pool table. Jm2c <hr /></blockquote>

well damn, no wonder my balls are rolling so slowly..

ray

Wally_in_Cincy
01-09-2004, 02:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> A good choice Wally, I'd rather have Elizabeth Shue though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Ever heard the phrase "Lucky Dog"? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.hqstars.com/images/new/shue/9.jpg

Troy
01-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Nobody uses FELT on pool tables.
Having said that, Simonis 860 worsted blend is about the best table CLOTH available... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy

bigshooter
01-09-2004, 03:03 PM
860 Simonis has my vote.
Also what kind of balls did your table come with?
Its all in vain if your using a cheapie set of balls!

Cueless Joey
01-09-2004, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Nobody uses FELT on pool tables.
Having said that, Simonis 860 worsted blend is about the best table CLOTH available... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy <hr /></blockquote>
Can you please pass the JELLY? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
01-09-2004, 04:10 PM
I've had 860 Simonis for several years.

DG - would love to be felt by Sophia Loren

Iowashark
01-09-2004, 04:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr>
DG - would love to be felt by Sophia Loren <hr /></blockquote>

Sheryl Crow
Next year-The Olsen Twins

(I'll probably get arrested for saying that)

Brent
01-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Simonis 860 or 760 both are ok. And Super Aramith Pro TV EDITION balls (the pink nr. 4 ROCKS)

Chris Cass
01-09-2004, 05:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I WOULD LIKE TO GET FELT BY JENNIFER ANNISTON [ QUOTE ]

You always were backwards. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
01-09-2004, 09:34 PM
I love 860 Simonis for a eight foot or bigger table. I would cover a bar-box with Championship Ultra. Just being different, I guess. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

Tom_In_Cincy
01-10-2004, 12:44 AM
woof woof...

ryushen21
01-10-2004, 02:44 AM
i'll take simonis 860 and have michelle branch on top of the table.

jjinfla
01-10-2004, 06:19 AM
We have both 760 and 860 here. The 760 is probably a little faster but it has more synthetic fibers which causes a lot of little white spots all over the table where the CB compresses the fibers as in breaks and jump shots. Doesn't hurt the play though just looks bad. We just had two tables recovered with 760 and the nap look thicker than the previous 760 that was on it. Probably just my imagination though. 860 is more durable and in my opinion that's what I would use. I really don't notice any difference in speed. Supposedly Simonis came out with 860HR (humidity resistant) but I haven't heard anything about it. I noticed that many of the TV events are using 860 now.

But the cloth is just one part of the package. You need good cushions (ours are dead and the mechanic says it is because of the pine wood used in the table) and true pockets and level table.

The only thing worse than calling cloth felt is to call a cue a stick. Unless you own a $12 Wilson which is good for proping up tomato plants.

Jake
-25-

JimS
01-10-2004, 06:48 AM
As you probably have noticed calling pool table cloth "felt" is a no-no!! It's called "cloth". Also, posting in all caps is considered yelling and is a no-no as well.

Now that I'm done scolding you I'll chime in and re-confirm the obvious....Siminois is the best cloth out there and I prefer 860. The 760 is very fast and It's my understanding that the 760 is intended for use on 3 cushion billiard tables. Aramith Pro balls are recommended as a good buy. They are much cheaper than the Super Pro or Centennial but still are excellent balls.

Fred Agnir
01-10-2004, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote D4946:</font><hr> I AM GETTING READY TO PUT TOGETHER THE USED POOL TABLE I BOUGHT AND WANT TO RE FELT IT, AND WAS WONDERING WHICH FELT IS THE BEST <hr /></blockquote>Lose the capitals, change the word "Felt" to "Cloth," and send either Jennifer Aniston or Elizabeth Shue my way. Both are on the "all is forgiven" list (and two of the few that aren't redheads).

Now, onto the question: for worsted cloth I like Granito Basalt or Simonis 860 kept clean and dry. They both perform about the same, but I think the Basalt doesn't get the white burn marks as much.

That being said, although I have a piece of Basalt ready to go on my home table, I've had Mali (napped) on there for years. I grew up with Mali, it's a lot cheaper and many pool halls in my area still use it. And if they upkeep it, I don't find a tremendous difference. And yes, I've been to places that used worsted wools that didn't upkeep it. And it sucked.

Fred

Troy
01-10-2004, 10:12 AM
I think Simonis 300 is for 3-C... ?? And yes, 760 is slightly faster then 860.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr>...Siminois is the best cloth out there and I prefer 860. The 760 is very fast and It's my understanding that the 760 is intended for use on 3 cushion billiard tables. Aramith Pro balls are recommended as a good buy. They are much cheaper than the Super Pro or Centennial but still are excellent balls. <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
01-10-2004, 10:19 AM
"Hey Dude, wanna shoot some stick ??"
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>The only thing worse than calling cloth felt is to call a cue a stick.
Jake
-25- <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
01-10-2004, 11:21 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pelican
01-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Since when were pool shooters 'politically correct' /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ray
01-10-2004, 04:01 PM
well, i'm no pool shooter..

i'm a "billiards enthusiast". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ray

jjinfla
01-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Troy,

It all started with Battle Cry when they pointed out the difference between a weapon and a gun.

But it really makes no never mind to me.

And do you know who the first person on this board was who pointed out that cloth and felt was not the same?

Hint: It was a woman.

Jake
-25-

Troy
01-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Might it have been Fran C. ???

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>
Hint: It was a woman.

Jake
-25- <hr /></blockquote>

stickman
01-10-2004, 11:45 PM
I'd shoot better with a stick sometimes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I must have done good today, because a guy was trying to protest me for my skill level. I made him mad the first match I beat him, but really mad him mad the second time I beat him and never lost a game. I finished in the money. (good for me)

Chris Cass
01-11-2004, 12:55 AM
Hi Jim,

I robbed the tourney today. I never lost a match and missed one ball but that was after the tourney. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Kind of felt I was stealing and don't think I'll go back again. I hate to ruin the tourney and that'll happen if I keep doing it. They just got to me because they wouldn't let Spike play. I said well sign me up. After I went there I had to agree. It was a bar and they told me it was a restaurant. They did make the biggest steaks I'd ever seen but it still was a bar. Funny, feeling bad about winning a tourney. I need to ditch that attitude.

Regards,

C.C.~~believe it or not I sometimes catch myself every now and then calling it felt and I know the difference. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

stickman
01-11-2004, 04:58 AM
Too bad that they wouldn't let Spike play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I wouldn't think it would be a problem considering it was a (restaurant). I'm glad you pounded them. I rather enjoyed watching this guy and his girl friend making a big scene overing beating him. I play every weekend here, so the TD knows my skill level. The guy was pounding around and stomping his feet all the way out the door. Before the tourney this fellow was talking to me about putting on an ivory ferrule and a new Moori 3 tip on his sneeky pete. I have a feeling I won't be doing this job any time soon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
01-11-2004, 05:10 AM
You're too sharp for me. Can't get anything past you.

Calling table covering cloth and not felt (which is the only name I really called it until her post and then reading the Simonis ads) is not being politically correct, as someone posted, just technically correct.

Huber took some criticism for using the word felt in the title of his book - "The Green Felt Jungle". But somehow I don't think calling it "The Green Cloth Jungle" would have the same meaning. People would think he was an idiot.

Sometimes good old common sense surpasses intelligence.

Did you go up and watch the UPA Championship?

Jake

aajourney
01-11-2004, 08:40 AM
I bought Championship Tour Edition 3030 for my little 7' table. I feel it is very fast and I really like it. It seems to me to play like simonis. Anyone else tried them both? They are both priced similar.

Sid_Vicious
01-11-2004, 09:28 AM
I'm "slangy", felt or cloth, cue or stick, ain't or isn't...I use all of my vocabulary. Sometimes stick, or felt, or ain't means something specific in the way you are using it. If you wish to eliminate something, let's get rid of that british "potting balls" junk. It sounds girlish to me, and Americans don't need to keep up with the Brits anymore, so lets all "pocket" balls from now on and leave the flowers for the pots. Oh yea, I don't like "breaking off" either. You break the balls dammit, nothing falls off...sid

Troy
01-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Many think he's an idiot anyway... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>Huber took some criticism for using the word felt in the title of his book - "The Green Felt Jungle". But somehow I don't think calling it "The Green Cloth Jungle" would have the same meaning. People would think he was an idiot.

Sometimes good old common sense surpasses intelligence.

Did you go up and watch the UPA Championship?

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

cheesemouse
01-11-2004, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I'm "slangy", felt or cloth, cue or stick, ain't or isn't...I use all of my vocabulary. Sometimes stick, or felt, or ain't means something specific in the way you are using it. If you wish to eliminate something, let's get rid of that british "potting balls" junk. It sounds girlish to me, and Americans don't need to keep up with the Brits anymore, so lets all "pocket" balls from now on and leave the flowers for the pots. Oh yea, I don't like "breaking off" either. You break the balls dammit, nothing falls off...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Hey, Sid would it be OK if I, on occasion, screw the cue ball??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
01-12-2004, 06:06 AM
I say old man, will you be having crumpets with your tea while we watch the boys pot some balls.

LOL

I'm with you there. Everytime I hear someone say "pot the ball" I think who the hell is he trying to impress?

Jake

woody_968
01-12-2004, 08:23 PM
I put the champion tour edition on my table as I was able to get it cheaper than the simonis. I have been very pleased with it, cant tell any difference in play between it and simonis.

NBC-BOB
01-15-2004, 07:59 AM
Find out what type of cloth your playing on most of the time and put the same type on your table.

pooltchr
01-15-2004, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Hey, Sid would it be OK if I, on occasion, screw the cue ball??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Just don't try to spin your rock, or control whitey, PLEASE!!!