PDA

View Full Version : Ivory Ferrules?

bigshooter
01-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Does anyone use ivory ferrules?
I had an ivory ferrule on a Joss shaft and I hit a hard draw shot and not only did the ferrule fly apart it cracked the shaft in the process.

Iowashark
01-09-2004, 04:07 PM
My guess would be that the shaft already had a hairline fracture and the shaft splitting is what caused the ferrule to break, not the ferrule breaking causing the shaft to split. It was probably just waiting for the right shot and would've broken any ferrule (not just ivory) you would've had on there (except brass).

dg-in-centralpa
01-09-2004, 04:08 PM
I have two cues with and two without. I never had any trouble but I was always careful how hard I hit. I replaced two ivories for predator shafts and keep the ivories as a spare.

DG

Cueless Joey
01-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Too brittle and too inconsistent.
Ivor-X ferrules rule. Get one installed and you will forget about ivory ferrules.
Ivor-X hits just like ivory but does not crack and does not change playability like ivory does.

bigshooter
01-09-2004, 04:12 PM
I guess the shaft could have had a hairline crack - No matter what the cause it really sucks.
They arent giving those Joss shafts away.

hadenball
01-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Hey cueless where can I get the Ivor-x ferrules at. I haven'et seen them on prathers or Atlas, is there a web site I can order them from? Thanks, Haden

Cueless Joey
01-09-2004, 08:20 PM
ferrule (http://www.cuesforless.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=C&Product_Code= ivor-x&Category_Code=)

BLACKHEART
01-09-2004, 11:38 PM
I have repaired hundreds of shafts that have had this same problem & only a small percentage were Ivory. I think the problem comes from letting the tip get too small. It happens with nearly every kind of ferrule. Generally the player lets the tip get too worn down & an off center hit cracks the ferrule. Then later on, a seemingly easy hit furthers the crack all of the way down. Since the shaft tenon is fastened to the ferrule it too cracks. The next hit shows up as a cracked shaft. I personally repair more Meucci ferrules than Ivory ferrules. I have a 1 1/4" Ivory ferrule on my break Q & it's 4 years old, with no problems. The only problem is, that if they do break, you are looking at a $50 repair instead of $15 repair...JER

Barbara
01-10-2004, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Too brittle and too inconsistent.
<hr /></blockquote>

Not when the ivory is carefully selected and professionally put on. It's easy to put a bad ivory ferrule on a shaft. It's easy to see the grain in ivory. The more pronounced grain, the worse the grade.

Barbara

bigshooter
01-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Well so far I've got got two people defending ivory ferrules and one (cueless joey) being completely against them. I am going with cueless joey on this one, I am a fanatic about tip maintenance so I don't believe a worn tip caused the problem and I also don't believe the shaft was already cracked , I firmly believe the ferrule broke and then broke the shaft.
I am using a back up shaft with a fiber ferrule and honestly I cannot feel much difference in the hit anyway.
I have absolutely no objections to the use of ivory but personally I will never use an ivory ferrule again.

Cueless Joey
01-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Some ivory ferrules last a lifetime if used and installed properly but they are still not a great choice imo.
Ivory ferrules are temperamental. One pro told me one time he doesn't like them b/c they can change playability while you're playing due to temperature. An engineer friend of a cuemaker friend of mine tested one for hardness. They actually vary from side to side.
I've been using Ivor-x on my playing cue and break cue for a year now. No problems whatsover.

Phoenix2001
05-04-2004, 01:48 AM
I have a Richard Black Cue that will be 22 years old this year and have two shafts with the original ivory ferrules. I have used Tree Wax on them after every tip change and have never had any problems. I am waiting for a new Sheldon LeBow Cue with two shafts and ivory ferrules that should be finished in a couple weeks.

BLACKHEART
05-04-2004, 09:25 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Joe, supose you have a Q with a 1 1/4" ferrule on it, like a BLACK HEART or MCDERMOTT. How would you install the IVOR-X ferrule which is only 1" long,capped &amp; threaded? I've e-mailed those people on the web site several times &amp; never got an answer about any of my questions...JER

stickman
05-04-2004, 10:00 AM
I had the same concern. My solution was make my cue a quarter inch shorter. I can do that with my own cue, but I'm not sure my customers would like that solution. I can say that it's the best ferrule I've ever tried, but it seems like they could make them in both 1" and 1 1/4" sizes.

Jim

Big_Jon
05-04-2004, 04:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigshooter:</font><hr> Does anyone use ivory ferrules?
I had an ivory ferrule on a Joss shaft and I hit a hard draw shot and not only did the ferrule fly apart it cracked the shaft in the process. <hr /></blockquote>

Just a thought...

Most ivory ferrules are attached with 5/16-18 threads and EPOXY!!! Epoxy is stronger than either the wood or the ivory. It's my guess, that when the ferrule flew apart, instead of the epoxy "letting the ferrule go", it just took the easiest way out, cracking the shaft tennon and further down until all the pressure is released. For instance, when you don't eat, you may lose weight, but you are burning muscle instead of fat, because muscle is EASIER to burn off. I hope that makes sense as a metaphor. I'm surprised Joey didn't think of that one... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,

Jon

Deeman
05-04-2004, 09:48 PM
I got my Balabuska in 1969. Both shafts have the original ivory ferrules and they are stil perfect after 35 years, although I can't say the same about me.

Dee /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris Cass
05-04-2004, 11:11 PM
I feel the same way about Brocaley. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.

Tommy_Davidson
05-05-2004, 12:26 AM
&gt; I have been using ivory ferrules since I first got my Schon 13 years ago,and have ordered 8 new shafts over the years,and never,not once have I ever cracked one when playing,or breaking for that matter. I have had them crack after sitting around for a while and getting dry,but have had absolutely no problems. I have noticed that every shaft Evan has ever sent me had almost the exact same grain pattern in the ivory too,but am puzzled as to how this can be,unless all the ones he puts on were cut from the same tusk or billet,or some other manufacturing secret. I use Sumo tips,with no pads,and break quite hard with it in social/bar playing,and can't imagine any material being any better,although I am in the process of installing a ferrule made from a 14mm rod that destroyed a Red Circle cueball to make,and would be willing to try an Ivor-X if I can get my hands on a ferrule blank. Tommy D.