PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone know Hal Mix?

bigshooter
01-09-2004, 04:28 PM
I was just wondering if anyone on here knew Hal Mix.
I took some lessons from him years ago about the same time he was coaching Kim Davenport.
I think he passed away a few years back but I'm not 100% on that.

Troy
01-09-2004, 05:09 PM
I ran into Hal on more than one occasion at the old California Billiards on Stevens Creek Blvd in San Jose.
Unfortunately he did pass a few years ago. A loss to the pool world.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigshooter:</font><hr> I was just wondering if anyone on here knew Hal Mix.
I took some lessons from him years ago about the same time he was coaching Kim Davenport.
I think he passed away a few years back but I'm not 100% on that. <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
01-10-2004, 09:17 AM
I remember reading of his death in 1999 or 2000

charlieb
01-11-2004, 12:59 AM
I met him at the Bicycle Club around 8 yrs ago when he was Nick Varner's coach. He sent me a copy of his "Pocket Billiard Secrets." Autographed no less. A real gentleman willing to share pool info. Yes, he did pass away several yrs ago. Pool needs more people like him!

NEMO
01-12-2004, 10:19 AM
I met Hal about 10 years ago. I bought his pocket billiards secrets book which he autographed and gave his phone number in case I had any questions. I think at the time he was coaching Mike Coltrain.

Hal was a great guy! He gave me unlimited access to his "secrets" at no cost. My game jumped up after learning his techniques.

Nemo

stlshooter
01-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Hal was a sincere man and shared his knowledge of pool with all interested. Our sport misses him and others like him. I also would like to thank Hal for his friendship and help over the years. Mark Wilson

Vagabond
01-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Howdy,
I had disagreements with him on some technical matters of the game.I told him to take a hike.It was not personal though.It was just buisiness.Cheers
Vagabond

HALHOULE
11-22-2005, 09:39 PM
charlie, mix was never varner's coach. varner never had a coach. varner, rempe, and mix went to europe, on mix's money. mix inherited a ton of money and went wild on it. that's the misguided story of mix coaching varner. mix taught high school kids in redwood city ca.

Fran Crimi
11-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Yes, I knew Hal. Unfortunately, he did pass away some years ago. I think he was in his 90's.

Fran

grisbe
11-25-2005, 08:39 PM
I was a student with Hal Mix, and he was indeed a coach to Nick Varner. I spent many tournaments with Hal and Varner, and witnessed their relationship first hand. Other players, such as Johnnie Archer and Cory Deul, also would frequently ask Hal Mix for advice. This I also witnessed first hand many times.

This Hal Houlie is either lying or doesn't know what he is talking about.

If anyone doubts me, ask Varner yourself.

grisbe
11-25-2005, 08:41 PM
By the way, despite what this Houle says, Mix did not have a lot of money, and I never heard of him taking anyone to Europe.

I'd like to know where this Hal Houle gets his (mis)information.

Fran Crimi
11-26-2005, 09:58 AM
I had the impression Hal was coaching Nick, too. I often sat in the stands with Hal, watching Nick's matches. Nick would always come up to him after the match to get his feedback.

Hal used to coach Robin Dodson, too. He'd often stay at her house for a week prior to an event to help her get ready. That sure sounds like coaching to me.

I remember one particular incident, watching Robin's match with Hal. He whispered to me, "She's not focused yet." I asked him how he knew. He said he could see it in her eyes. A short time later he said, "NOW she's focused." Sure enough, Robin started shooting the lights out.

Fran

mrphelia
03-18-2006, 08:15 AM
I would like for someone to copy each page of Hal Mix's book,cover too,and send it to me.For this I will send You 100$.Half up front,half on completion.My email address is mrphelia@webtv.net Feel free to email me about our deal.

Bob_Jewett
03-19-2006, 06:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mrphelia:</font><hr> I would like for someone to copy each page of Hal Mix's book,cover too,and send it to me.For this I will send You 100$.Half up front,half on completion.My email address is mrphelia@webtv.net Feel free to email me about our deal. <hr /></blockquote>
First, that's illegal. The book is still protected by copyright.

Second, I have a copy of his book I'll sell you for $100. My paypal address is jewett@sfbilliards.com But, truth be told, it's not worth that much.

mrphelia
03-19-2006, 07:02 PM
I got the book,Sorry for all the trouble.I guess I asked an illegal question when asked for someone to copy a book.Sorry for that to,that sure was dumb. You all take care now