PDA

View Full Version : Truth about splices and inlays.

bigshooter
01-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Although I've played pool a long time I will admit I'm a little ignorant about cue construction.
I've heard people say that a spliced cue is stronger than a cue with no points whatsoever, Is that true?
Do points that are cut in and not reallly spliced weaken a cue?
In my mind it seems that the more you cut into a piece of wood the weaker it gets, Is a highly decorated/inlayed cue somewhat weaker than a plain one?
Does it make any difference whatsoever?

hadenball
01-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Big shooter,

I'm not really sure but if I had to guess I would say the shaft blanks that are laminated are stronger & therefore wont' warp as quick. Being a woodworker for 15 years I've always heard wood is stronger when it is laminated.
I believe Jer with Blackheart cues said the inlays dont' weaken a cue or make it stronger. I might guess they would be more stable though which I believe is the whole purpose of laminating 35 pieces together for handle and shaft stock.

charlieb
01-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Who is using 35 separate laminates. I have a predator shaft that has 10 spliced pieces and I assume that someone is using 25 pieces for the butt. How many cue makers are you aware of who are splicing pieces together for the butt? Thanks in advance.

Popcorn
01-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Many cue makers are now using laminated woods the under-wrap makeup of the cue. Many, (maybe, most) cored cues have laminated woods inside.

hadenball
01-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Barringer cues had some shaft blanks with 35 pieces flat laminated. I don't know about the butt being laminated but the handle under wrap of some are.

Go to cue componenets.com (formerly Barringerscues.com) and check to see if they are still offering 35 piece laminated stock, they also had 22 piece flat lams. also the process that predator uses is radial lamination. Haden

Scott Lee
01-10-2004, 06:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigshooter:</font><hr> Does it make any difference whatsoever? <hr /></blockquote>

bigshooter...Not unless you're gonna use your cuestick for a PRYBAR! LOL

Scott Lee

bigshooter
01-10-2004, 07:30 PM
<hr /></blockquote>

bigshooter...Not unless you're gonna use your cuestick for a PRYBAR! LOL

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>
Actually I wished I could have used it as a lug wrench, the other day I was driving a loaner car from the garage that is fixing my ride and I blew a tire on the expressway and had no lug wrench in the car, so it was all of about 20 degrees and I had no cell phone and I wasn’t going to leave my cue in the car so I went for a brisk walk cue and case in hand (oh did I forget to mention I only had a thin fleece pullover as a coat) I kept wondering to myself what the motorists blowing by me thought I was carrying, my case is two butts – four shafts with a big handle so it sort of looks like a grenade launcher.
I kept waiting for the state patrol to stop and order me to lie on the ground.