PDA

View Full Version : I've Seen Mars

Fred Agnir
01-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Just got back from a big shindig at Dean Kaman's house (inventor of the Segway Scooter). Of the thousand or so guests, attending was one of the NASA heads of Interplanetary Exploration, or some such title. He brought with him the very first prints (largish 4' square inkjet photos) from the Mars Rover that just landed. All I can say is, "pretty damned impressive."

Fred

Rich R.
01-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Very cool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But the heck with Mars. If you ever go again, grab one of those Segway Scooters. My wife wants one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Fred Agnir
01-10-2004, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Very cool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But the heck with Mars. If you ever go again, grab one of those Segway Scooters. My wife wants one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>This guy's house is like a museum of engineering mechanisms. From the sublime to the unbelievable. When you walk in the door, he has a piece of a steam generator with fly wheels some 25' in diameter. And that's just the entrance way.

The mars photos were laid out on a pool table. While everyone is hanging on every word that he NASA dude was saying, I was trying to figure out what brand pool table, what kind of balls, and what color cloth. Kamen is no pool player. It's a custom made table with red cloth. Crappy house sticks, too.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
01-10-2004, 09:08 AM
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/spirit/20040106c/P2302-540-361.jpg

ray
01-10-2004, 09:16 AM
hmm.. that kinda resembeled a scene from the movie "dune".

in that case. sh*t, i've seen mars, too..

ray

just having fun..

Rich R.
01-10-2004, 03:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> The mars photos were laid out on a pool table. While everyone is hanging on every word that he NASA dude was saying, I was trying to figure out what brand pool table, what kind of balls, and what color cloth. Kamen is no pool player. It's a custom made table with red cloth. Crappy house sticks, too. <hr /></blockquote>
You were just showing your true colors, Fred. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A while back, one of the TV news magazine shows did a piece on Kamen and his company. Although I did not see the entire piece, what I did see was very impressive. It seemed like his company is trying to make the things, most people can't even dream about.

I bet Fred would love to spend more time around that guy. I know I would and I'm not an engineer.

Fred Agnir
01-12-2004, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> A while back, one of the TV news magazine shows did a piece on Kamen and his company. Although I did not see the entire piece, what I did see was very impressive. It seemed like his company is trying to make the things, most people can't even dream about.

I bet Fred would love to spend more time around that guy. I know I would and I'm not an engineer. <hr /></blockquote>This is the time of year that I bring up the FIRST Robotics Competition, http://www.usfirst.org. It's a competition designed to introduce real-world hands-on science and engineering to high school students. Dean Kamen was the founder of this program, and is still extremely enthusiastic about the developement of the future engineers.

Fred

Rich R.
01-12-2004, 09:13 AM
As I said, I'm no engineer, far from it, but I love to see stories on TV about these competitions. I like the way it combines the technical things the kids learn with the creativity that is in the back of their minds.
I must make learning a lot of fun, for the kids involved.

UWPoolGod
01-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Yeah I saw a TV interview with Kamen and he took us into his house. Awesome. Redid the heart do-hicky to work better. Guys got boatloads. I'd ask him to play a race for a million...I'd probbaly lose somehow....or he'd stiff me LOL.