PDA

View Full Version : To wrap or not to wrap.... That is the question!

Jay
01-10-2004, 02:19 PM
I am thinking about my next cue and I was wondering wether or not I want to have it wrapped. My first cue had an irish linen wrap, my current cue has a curly maple wrap and now I dont know what to do with my next cue. I like the way a wrapped cue and a wrapless cue plays, so I really dont know what to do with the next. Will there be any downside to keep changing from a wrapless to a wrapped cue, other than the fact of adjusting the grip placement. Also how is a leather wrap, how does that feel and grip? Thanks

Wally_in_Cincy
01-10-2004, 02:25 PM
I like the feel of a leather wrap better than Irish Linen. No-wrap is OK too. No big deal really, I just like the leather, feels more natural.

But that's just me.

Do you know anybody with a leather wrap you can try?

Troy
01-10-2004, 02:57 PM
My opinion is that it's personal choice. I have both and I don't think a wrapped or non-wrapped cue has any difference in how it plays.

Troy

Pelican
01-10-2004, 03:20 PM
I shot a Meucci 333-4 for years and as you know it has a wrap that is finished over so in essence it feels like a no wrap cue. Now I shoot a Burton Spain that is wrapped. I have finally adjusted to the different feel and think I prefer the wrap. One other consideration, we shoot league and a lot of the bars do not have the best in climate control. In South Alabama when the humidity is 99% and the temp is 98 degrees your hands will sweat a lot. In this case the wrap seems to work better.

bigshooter
01-10-2004, 03:49 PM
After getting used to irish linen for a number of years I cannot stand the feel of a no wrap cue, it drives me bonkers.
I've never tried leather.

irunrax
01-10-2004, 03:51 PM
I have also had cues with and without wraps, but have not had one with leather. I have shot with a freinds cue that had a leather wrap and liked the way it felt. My present cue has a linen wrap.

SPetty
01-10-2004, 05:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr>Will there be any downside to keep changing from a wrapless to a wrapped cue, other than the fact of adjusting the grip placement. <hr /></blockquote>I'm not sure what this means... Are you saying that you change the position of your grip hand based on whether the cue has a linen wrap or has no wrap? What is "adjusting the grip placement"?

I have a Predator with "ultra-leather" I think they call it. It's a synthetic leather, and I like how it feels better than irish linen. Irish linen is too slick for my tastes.

JimS
01-10-2004, 07:32 PM
I prefer nowrap. But then I'm a half-bubble off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Popcorn
01-10-2004, 08:06 PM
I have an old cue I like that has no wrap and I use it once and a while. The thing is, the finish is all but worn off. I don't think I would like a new cue with no wrap. Some of the new high-tech finishes that are very glossy and feel awful in your hand. I could never play with one of those.

Pelican
01-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Hey popcorn, bet it has the feel of a well used house cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
01-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Yea, the thing is. it just had a lacquer finish and it wore of pretty quick. Some of today's finishes, you would need to take some sandpaper or steel wool to it to get rid of the gloss. Hard to do to a brand new cue. I remember seeing a guy do this one night though, to a brand new $600. cue. He was gambling and could not stand the feel.

stickman
01-10-2004, 11:24 PM
My own desire is to have a custom cue built with no wrap. I've never had a problem using a house cue, and I hate the thought the of hiding beautiful lumber with a wrap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

aajourney
01-11-2004, 08:52 AM
I'm with you stickman. I like the cues without a wrap. As silly as it may sound, I think the wrapless cues offer more friction, so you can use a lighter grip. Also, you can find some really beautiful wrapless cues.

Sid_Vicious
01-11-2004, 09:16 AM
I have always been impressionable for so-called standards, so if the pool friends suggested Triangles, then I used Triangles, Irish linen, then that's what I had to have. My first custom was bought sight unseen over the phone, a superb rosewood butt, not wrapped, and I asked Woody if it could be wrapped later on, he said, "You wouldn't want to cover such beautiful wood!" and I didn't. I now prefer unwrapped cues, but I do have every flavor...leather feels better than Irish linen, some of my pressed linen feels good as well though. Standard linen is "ok" but is last with my personal preference. If you sweat a lot then I'd say go with leather, otherwise stay unfinished...sid~~~now graduated to other tips as well

Jay
01-11-2004, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr>Will there be any downside to keep changing from a wrapless to a wrapped cue, other than the fact of adjusting the grip placement. <hr /></blockquote>I'm not sure what this means... Are you saying that you change the position of your grip hand based on whether the cue has a linen wrap or has no wrap? What is "adjusting the grip placement"?

Basically what it means is that when you have a cue with any kind of wrap you tend to know where the wrap area is and the cue, where is begins and where it ends. With some people this helps them hold the cue at certian places when they need to adjust to a shot. When you have a wrapless cue,the entire thing feels the same. There is no diffence in texture for anyone to differenciate where the wrap area begins and ends. When I changed to a wrapless cue I had to adjust where I held the cue because I was so used to the feel of a linen wrap. It took time for me to get the proper grip because you dont have to hold a wrapless cue to tight because it offers more friction that a linen wrap. Kinda see what i mean???