PDA

View Full Version : Golf and Pool.

Popcorn
01-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Recently there was a thread about the problems with pool getting the attention some think it deserves. People like to make references to golf when disscussing pool. I was watching the golf channel tonight. I don't play golf at all, but if something is interesting and well done, you can watch it, even if you don't know much about it. They have a series on there by Bobby Jones. I am not sure but they look like they could have been done in the 1930's or 40's. These are well produced shorts that were shown in theaters at the time, with guests celebrities like, Joey Brown, Loretta Young, Mickey Rooney, James Cagey and more. It got me to thinking that, golf has been sold to the public in a big way for a very long time and it's success over the years is no accident. It has been a well orchestrated effort for success, by the golf powers that be. The success of today golf is built on a pretty good foundation. Then I turn my head and look at pool and well........ I just found this interesting.

bigshooter
01-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Hollywood and the media has always portrayed golf as wholesome, pristine and elite while pool has been traditionally portrayed as seedy, smoky and full of cut throats.
When was the last time you saw a movie where the rich corporate big wigs were discussing a merger over a game of billiards? Never but you see scenes like that all the time on the golf course.
We as a pool community spent a good deal of the 80ís Ė 90ís dressing our players up in tuxedos and pretending to be good boys trying to sell the public a different image but then I see Poker exploding onto television everywhere you look and itís main draw is the gambling and the flamboyant characters playing the game.
So whatís the answer, are we better off to sell pool as a family sport or shoot for cash and run our mouths and be proud about it like poker?

JPB
01-10-2004, 11:08 PM
The trick is to get a lot of people playing pool and spending money on it. A lot of people play golf and spend a lot of money to do it. Until there is a solid base of pool fans, there won't be support. Golf wasn't just marketed, it exploded in popularity. Pool and billirds did the opposite in the same years. The end of WWII was great for golf and horrible for pool.

Poker is going crazy now, but a lot of people at least play some and they are all willing to gamble on it. IMO image of the players doesn't have a whole lot to do with anything. If poker really gets popular some of the things that go on now will be stopped to enhance the image of it. As happened in golf BTW. If anything, pool's image should help some. The problem is that people aren't flocking to the game and going nuts over it. The management of a pro tour or whatever isn't the problem. if the game were healthy, the other issues would get taken care of.

And the lack of participation won't be easily solved unfortunately.