PDA

View Full Version : POOL LEAGUE DILEMNA

recoveryjones
01-10-2004, 07:49 PM
I belong to an 8 ball pool league in Vancouver Canada that is comprised of eight teams.We play a 28 weeks schedule and will use the money collected to send the two top (after playoffs) teams to Vegas on an all expenses paid trip including airfare, hotel and entry fee.Right now we are half way and have fourteen weeks left in the schedule.
Now here's my dilemna.I only signed up as a spare however the team I play on has been very disorganized and very disfunctional.Every week weve been short a player (5 man teams)and have had to pay a spare from the pool hall to play for us.Three of our reguliars have got upset and quit as they were unhappy with the situation.Many weeks we play a player or two short and are languising near the bottom of the standings.Furthermore our captain often wreaks of pot as he tunes up outside often in between games.He's also very unorganized in getting people to show up.Furthermore one of our regulars (also orginally a spare like me)is going on a two week vacation. When he goes this will leave just me and the captain and whatever 3 stagglers we can pick up from the pool hall or we will play short.Having said all of this I joined this league primarily to have fun and challenge myself against some great compitition, however lately despite holding my own (on the table) it hasn't been fun.
Recently the team currently in second place with an excellent chance of going to Vegas approached me and asked me to join them full time as they lost a reguliar. These fellows are all Phillipinos and are very talented each an A or A+ player.I know two of them from my home pool hall.I would really like to join this team however if our team folds the league will only have enough cash to send one team to Vegas.Playing meaningful pool on a great team would be a plus for me however it leaves me with mixed emotions as if one team folds it means another team won't have anybody to play each week and the money from two teams will be lost.With this money lost only one team goes to Vegas.
My question is this: Do I continue to play as a SPARE on a totally disfunctional team with no chance of winning or do I take a REGULIAR posistion on a great team and move on.I can allways hang in there and join a better team next year. Any thought or comments would be appreciated. RJ

bigshooter
01-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Well at first I thought this would be an easy one to answer because judging from what I read in your post you owe your current team absolutely nothing, they have not been loyal or supportive to you so you are not morally obligated to back them up in any way, you joined to play competitive pool and become a better player by challenging yourself not spend your time worrying if you will have enough players each week to keep your team going.
Now the second part is by leaving your current team the league then has only enough money to send one team instead of two, which adds another element entirely but in your situation you have to consider yourself first and not worry about all the other variables.
Join the second place team and be happy, if your current captain is used to rounding up an extra three he can surely round up and extra four or maybe you could find a replacement for yourself thatís not as serious about pool as you are and would fit in with the your current team a little better.
It sounds to me like you have a good chance to join a really good team and that chance may not be available next year, I would jump on it and not look back.

dmgwalsh
01-11-2004, 08:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigshooter:</font><hr> Well at first I thought this would be an easy one to answer because judging from what I read in your post you owe your current team absolutely nothing, they have not been loyal or supportive to you so you are not morally obligated to back them up in any way, you joined to play competitive pool and become a better player by challenging yourself not spend your time worrying if you will have enough players each week to keep your team going.
Now the second part is by leaving your current team the league then has only enough money to send one team instead of two, which adds another element entirely but in your situation you have to consider yourself first and not worry about all the other variables.
Join the second place team and be happy, if your current captain is used to rounding up an extra three he can surely round up and extra four or maybe you could find a replacement for yourself thatís not as serious about pool as you are and would fit in with the your current team a little better.
It sounds to me like you have a good chance to join a really good team and that chance may not be available next year, I would jump on it and not look back.
<hr /></blockquote>

I agree. You sound like you're rather miserable on the "team" you presently play for. You can't worry about the state of the whole league. I'd move to the better team where you could learn more from players who have some respect for the game. If the league is in a pickle because of the lack of funds from your dysfunctional team, somebody will scramble to find a replacement. Dennis

c.holtz009
01-11-2004, 08:56 AM
I would jump on the chance to go to a better team too.
However, I thought there was a rule or something, (there is in my league) that you cannot switch teams uless your original team breaks up or drops out of the league.

ChrisW
01-12-2004, 09:46 AM
You already said that 3 other regulars have quit.
So if you join a different team it is not all on
you if that team folds, its on the captain and
all the players.
Its only the timing that makes you feel responsible.
If you were offered a spot on the better team
before the other players dropped off what would you do?
I bet you would have jumped ship just like you should do now!

Chris

smfsrca
01-12-2004, 12:33 PM
It sounds like the only players left on your team are you and the captain. This hardly constitutes a team. If your league operator has any savvy at all (s)he is already aware of your problem. The loss at this point will represent about a 12.5% drop in fees for the season. This is not your problem alone. Talk the the league operator to come up with a solution.

Candyman
01-12-2004, 04:50 PM
I am in an APA League and The rules would restrict a change that late in the season I believe.

woody_968
01-12-2004, 05:15 PM
You have the chance to get on a more organized team with good players, nothing to think about, if rules let you do it you need to switch! You will have more fun, and you will learn alot by being around the better players.

As far as there not being enough money for two teams it is not your fault alone if the team folds. Sounds like they may anyway even if you stay. The league as a whole could do things to raise money for the second team to go. Locally we hold pool tournaments at local bars with some of the money going to help get the players to vegas. In fact our local APA (at least back when I played) didnt give money back to get the winners to vegas, we did it all by holding fundraisers. Of course, thats one of the reasons I quit /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RedHell
01-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Don't hesitate and move on to the other team. It is just a matter of time before your team fold with or without you. If you stick around and it folds with you the end result will be the same (not enough money for 2 teams to Vegas) and you will be on the losing side.

Join the other team and help them finnish first.

Have a good time in Vegas /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
01-13-2004, 02:04 PM
RJ,

I think your captains actions, or lack of, dictate what has happened to the team. I'd leave in a heartbeat. At the same time do some recruting from your pool hall. Let your new team share some responsibility and do the same. Since they want to go to Vegas they should offer up sme help or they may not get to go at all if they finish second. They have to realize busting up a team might put them in that situation. If their not willing to help, then maybe they didn't want you bad enough. Hell if you had to you could pay a certain amount (league fees, whatever) to furnish players. It just depends on how bad you really want this possibility of playing on the team and going to Vegas.

Just some thoughts.

Rod

bigshooter
01-13-2004, 03:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Furthermore our captain often wreaks of pot as he tunes up outside often in between games.He's also very unorganized ... <hr /></blockquote>

You may want to encourage your captain to look for some like minded replacements, try the head shop or a Grateful Dead concert or he might simply go door to door, I know many heavy smokers who still live in their mom's basement and may just need a little encouragement to come out, who knows maybe some of them even have a pool table down there and got some practice in between reruns of the Dukes of Hazzard and The Flintstones.

recoveryjones
01-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks to all the guys who posted their suggestions and support regarding my pool teams problems. Last night I went to our league game and our team only had myself and our (pot head, unorganized)Captain.The other team was also a player short (each team should have 5 players)as well.Both teams immediatly cancelled the match and our team has now officially folded.The captain (and pool hall owner) of the other team suggested we amalgamate and join together as one team.Their team has some really good players so our joined team could be a resonable team, handicapped only by my former teams captain.
I informed the guy in charge of our league that our team has officially folded. The seven captains of the remaining teams will now have a league meeting to discuss the changes.Now only one team will go to Vegas and the remaining money will probably go to the runner up team which will at least pay for a partial trip to Vegas for them.
Its all good I guess except for the fact I'm still stuck with the captain for the rest of the year. I'll play out the string and join the Philipino team (or another strong team) next year.Apparently one of their guys has passport border problems so there may be a spot for me to go to Vegas as a fillin should their team win the playoffs anyhow.If I go maybe I'll get a chance to meet some of you fellow pool playing addicts (LOL) who undoubtingly are going to be there. Thanks again, RJ.