PDA

View Full Version : Lights, camera ... POKER

PQQLK9
01-11-2004, 02:02 PM
With more than 50 million regular players across the country, poker is more popular than golf or <font color="blue">billiards</font color> . More than 1.6 million viewers tuned in for the first episode of "Celebrity Poker Showdown," according to television ratings reports. It was the second-highest debut for a show on Bravo.
And when cable television strikes a new and hidden chord in America's viewing habits, you can bet that network TV is sure to follow.
Thus, NBC has announced plans to air a new two-hour poker special on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 1. The show is titled "The Travel Channel World Poker Tour Battle Of Champions," and will feature top players facing off for a six-figure grand prize. It begins at 4 p.m.
The game of choice on most of the shows is no-limit Texas Hold 'Em.
"Oh, God, has that game ever taken off," says Mr. Furtado, who notes that he has won a couple of small tournaments, himself. "The most popular is definitely Texas Hold 'Em. Even more so now."
Poker veterans will tell you that the game couldn't have emerged as a surprise hit on cable television without one technological advance -- a small camera that fits into the edge of the card table and lets viewers at home see all of the players' face-down cards.
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/01-04/01-11-04/c01li603.htm

dg-in-centralpa
01-11-2004, 08:12 PM
I actually like the show. I play poker once a month and we talk about several of the people and their strategies. How they bet with nothing to throwing away the winning hand. This show also comes on during league night and we watch if we're not shooting. Definitely a surprise hit show.

DG - would love to bet that kind of money on one hand

UWPoolGod
01-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Lately when I have been surfing the channels I always head to Discovery, Bravo, and The Travel Channel. For WPT, Celebrity Poker, American Chopper (is that right?), Monster garages, Myth busters. Those channels have some good programming now. But I also have the poker fix and even still watch the reruns.

Kato
01-12-2004, 11:11 AM
I watched about 20 minutes of the celebrity poker tournament a few months back. God-awful. Any average amatuer woulda busted them all in 5 minutes.

Kato~~~below average amatuer.