PDA

View Full Version : Whats the worst pool hall you've ever been in?

srvrules
01-11-2004, 05:35 PM
I'm in a college cafe type thing during a choir festival and granted its only a college cafe but its four dollars an hour for an around 1970's Brunswick 8' pool table, which is kind of cool, but, this place doesn't have any chalk, and the best part is, they didn't even have a cue ball! So I had to rough up the crappy house cue with a dime. Bah, that sucked but I guess pool is pool, whats the worst pool hall you've ever been in?

logixrat
01-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Haha, that is good about them not having a cue ball. But I guess you found one, otherwise you wouldn't waste your time using a dime to rough up the crappy house cue. At least it's for a good price per hour.

Here, it is running about $9/hr to play. And by the way, aren't ALL house cues usually crappy? Sometimes you might find a straight one, but they are never nothing to brag about. Of course, a cue ball is standard with every game...hehe. And if you are lucky, sometimes you will get the Centennial balls to shoot...those are sooo saaawweett!!

Fleece3
01-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Fat Cats ---- NYC

dg-in-centralpa
01-11-2004, 08:23 PM
I usually don't go to too many poolhalls, but the one I did go to, had a light bulb burned out over the table. The owner was too cheap to buy more, so I had to rob another light from another table so I could have three bulbs to see half way decent. I've been to several reorts and the tables were crappy, house cues hardly had any tip on them, and the drop pockets were torn so that when a ball dropped, it fell on the floor, besides the fact that they had no chalk and were going to try to run a tournament. I checked in too late for the tournament. What a pity!

DG

bigshooter
01-11-2004, 08:41 PM
I went to a place named " The Pool Hall " that is the actual name of the establishment but over the years the place had changed more into a steakhouse/bar type place but they just never changed the name so I go walking in there with my cue case to discover they only had one pool table and one snooker table left in the whole place and both were covered and used for the buffet and condiments.
Everyone looked at me like I was from another planet apparently there hadn't been a game of pool in there for years but the steak was good and the beer was cold so it wasn't a total loss.

Vagabond
01-11-2004, 10:02 PM
The owner is a work of art.Cheers
vagabond

hondo
01-12-2004, 07:36 AM
The New Monarch on Summers St. in
downtown Charleston, WV. Downright
dangerous!!!

Wally_in_Cincy
01-12-2004, 08:08 AM
A bar on Big Pine Key, about 35 mi. east of Key West. They had 4 tables and they had huge stains all over the cloth. I jokingly asked the bartender about it and he said <font color="red"> "Yeah they've been like that since the hurricane" </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think they actually had an APA league in there.

ras314
01-12-2004, 09:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> A bar on Big Pine Key, about 35 mi. east of Key West. <hr /></blockquote>
No wonder they got wet, wouldn't that put the place out in the Atlantic? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Worst pool hall I've seen was in Gainsville, Fla. Second floor of a two story wood building. Tables were never level, seemed the floor sagged so often they moved continously. I blamed the place for getting me into the habit of always shooting way too hard.

Well, any excuse will do. LOL

roscoe
01-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Did you ask him which hurricane?

Anyway, I was in a place on Sat.....wanted to check it out. Looks like at one time it was a grand place. Old Brunswicks with enough tiny holes in the Simonis it looked like birdshot. The carpet looked like rough seas.....it was cold.....The only nice thing was the really tight pockets. After about 15 minutes of playing my left hand looked like "La mani negri" and I could have moved to Sicily and got a job. Stayed a couple of hours and split......never to return.

Roscoe

cycopath
01-12-2004, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigshooter:</font><hr> I went to a place named " The Pool Hall " that is the actual name of the establishment but over the years the place had changed more into a steakhouse/bar type place but they just never changed the name so I go walking in there with my cue case to discover they only had one pool table and one snooker table left in the whole place and both were covered and used for the buffet and condiments.
Everyone looked at me like I was from another planet apparently there hadn't been a game of pool in there for years but the steak was good and the beer was cold so it wasn't a total loss. <hr /></blockquote>

2 years ago my wife and I went on a cruise. This was the first for me, but she had been on a couple before we met. She claimed the last cruise she went on the ship actually had a pool table in one of the bars. Well we went online and checked the site, and they claimed there was a self-leveling pool table onboard. So I put both our cues in a 2x2 case and headed out. The whole time we are boarding everyone's looking at me holding my cuecase like I'm a complete idiot. And when we get to our cabin our steward asks if I'm a professional player. I laugh it off and say no, but I do ask about the pooltable onboard. And looks at me like I'm an idiot and says 'No, there is no table on the ship'.

So I know how you feel. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-12-2004, 01:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigshooter:</font><hr>
...they only had one pool table and one snooker table left in the whole place and both were covered and used for the buffet and condiments.... <hr /></blockquote>

A couple years ago my favorite place was closed for 4 months due to fire damage. Another place nearby, which catered to teens as well as adults, has one 9-foot table, a really nice Gold Crown I. It was always available.

Since I had no drivers license at the time I had to take a cab there. I would go in there sometimes and practice 14.1 for 4 or 5 hours since I had gone to the trouble to get there.

One night I went there and they had the table covered and all the league scoresheets and stuff on it and the owner refused to clear it off so I could play. Cab ride wasted /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Carlton31698
01-12-2004, 01:59 PM
There was an old poolroom in a town close to my home it was called Duke's. The place had been there sense the 30's it still had 2 1930's Brunswick (sp?) The man that owned it was very old and in bad health so he could not really do anything about the shape of the poolroom.
It had cloth that was 5 years old, no AC, huge windows with no shades, no bathroom,etc. The only good thing it had was an old style Dominoes table and $0.35 games with the house racking. I don't think the price had changed in 20 years.
As bad as the room was I still kind of miss the old place. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Alex_Delodge
01-13-2004, 01:21 AM
You said it, Fatcats. That place has to be the worst. Get this: Gandy's in terrible condition. Place is in a basement with no windows on Christopher Street in Manhattan. It's so dark you might not be able to recognize a person playing at the table next to you. I complain about shadows under the rails in some rooms. This room you literally can't see the balls. I'm not exxagerating Did I mention they're expensive rude and don't know anything about pool?

Another bad room, for danger this time, was that place upstairs on I think 32nd street and west side. Don't remember the name (closed for a few years now). Kind of place half the people in the room have those prison tattoos. Only went there twice (during the day!) Anyway, he second time, this guy who looked like a bum wanted to play me--didn't have my cue on me. Anyway he was obviously on the lemonade and I figured I'd beat him anyway but just looked like too bad a situation. So I turned him down and got some balls and practiced. When I was leaving this spanish guy turns to me and says good thing you didn't play him, you would have robbed him, and he would have "stuck you." I don't know exactly if he meant stabbed me or stiffed me but it didn't sound good.

nhp
01-13-2004, 05:38 AM
The poolhall that I work at before it came under new ownership about 2 years ago. This is a poolroom in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. There were drug sales going on, a huge gang of speed addicts that hung out in early hours of the morning (it was 24 hrs), there were gang wars, shootings, stabbings, and fights. There were these huge bleachers with a big wall that covered them, so bums often slept in them overnight. At that time you could also smoke inside, and there were cigarette burns on almost all of the 20 or so tables, and the floor and chairs had cigarette burns everywhere. The smoke filters stopped working so the place did not air-out very well, if you went inside there for 10 minutes you would stink like an ashtray pretty badly. The gangbangers scared off all of the serious poolplayers so there was no action, I can go on and on how bad this place was.
The new owner really cleaned this place up. The whole room is entirely remodeled, very classy looking. The gangs and druggies have disappeared, the place is well-maintained, and you can't smoke inside there anymore. I still don't get why we don't get much action there still.

Foxtrott
01-23-2004, 03:35 AM
A place called Jokers on the east coast . The lights must have been about 2 feet off the table and they were the big ones . The tables although Conollys had a roll of their own and they wanted $7 and hour and could not say a word of english .The hole place smelled of sage really relly bad and you could tell that the people slept on a few of the tables at night.We tried to stay but just couldnt take it . We asked others where another pool room was they said about 1 hr away . Might I say we left that place in a hurry .