PDA

View Full Version : pool's image and it's downfall

04-19-2002, 08:31 PM
well do not only blame dennis hatch he is just a player.how about the players getting mad at the open about the money problem,,they feel robbed.also barry b getting arested does not help,he is only the founder and host of probably the most prestige tourament.it will be a while if it gets a good name,heck most of the better players are always broke

Q-guy
04-19-2002, 10:36 PM
Post deleted by Q-guy

Chris Cass
04-20-2002, 01:19 AM
Hi Wishful,

Pool has been around since the 1600's. The pros have not. People doing stupid things, have been around longer. I think pool is going up more than down. The fact remains that's odvious is Women in pool is generating a terrific public response. Don't worry, pool has yet to peak. I just hope I can contribute to it.

Regards,

C.C.

cheesemouse
04-20-2002, 04:55 PM
All,
This maybe common knowledge to most of you but I always wondered about the word 'pool' in relation to our game and I ran across this, it is from "A brief history of the noble game of billiards" by Mike Shamos: The word "pool" means a collective bet, or ante. Many non-billiard games, such as poker, involve a pool but it was to pocket billiards that the name became attached. The term "poolroom" now means a place where pool is played, but in the 19th century a poolroom was a betting parlor for horse racing. Pool tables were installed so patrons could pass the time between races. The two became connected in the public mind, but the unsavory connotation of "poolroom" came from the betting that took place there, not from billiards.

04-20-2002, 08:58 PM
Aside from the antics of many of the players, many players are bordering illiterate, and would only need to speak one sentence to a potential sponsor to negate any possibility of drawing outside money into the sport. All one needs to do is read this board to see what I mean. I don't know how people like G. Fels or G. Mathews (who, in my opinion, are not of the average pool-player mold) can stand trying to have a conversation with 90% of the fruit-loops who commonly frequent the pool hall. Many pool players come across like dim-witted, illiterate, uneducated, unorganized, and irresponsible underacheivers. With that being said, is there any reason why any large corporation, in a position to be a sponsor, would hand over money to this group?

04-20-2002, 09:00 PM
Q-guy is correct. Pool is okay. It's been around a long time and will be here when we are gone. Pro pool is important to the game, and we must hope that it will survive and continue to provide spectator-pleasing tournaments and big names. Big money matches are equally entertaining and will continue as long as there is money and pool players.

The future of TV pool is not quite as clear. It may have already gone as far as it can go in this country. It is not very appealing to non-players who cannot appreciate the artistry of guiding the cue ball around the table, and the big sponsors are reluctant to become involved. This is largely our own fault. We produce too much bad news and bad publicity.

The pros won't make millions and we may not get nearly as much pool on TV as we would like - but one thing won't change. It's a great game, and we will continue to play it.

cheesemouse
04-20-2002, 09:25 PM
anon~~hole,
"There's no room for faith, truth, nor honesty in this bosom of thine. It is all filled up with guts and midriff." - Shakespeare

http://www.bellsnwhistles.com/aspi/1asp005.gif

TomBrooklyn
04-21-2002, 12:50 AM
<font color=purple>Anonymous 68.2:</font color=purple>
<font color=red>You speak unskillfully, or if your knowledge be more, it is much darkened in your malice.</font color=red> <font color=orange>Shakespere: Measure for Measure</font color=orange>

04-21-2002, 01:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Many pool players come across like dim-witted, illiterate, uneducated, unorganized, and irresponsible underacheivers. <hr></blockquote>

As do you O wise one

Chris Cass
04-21-2002, 04:34 AM
Hi Anon,

Well, let talk about this. Would you say a majority of the people in the world, are White collar workers? Would you say that a majority of the self made millionaire's are highly educated?

Would you say these highly educated sponsors could tell the difference between a profitable business venture and a failing one? Are all stock brokers millionaires?

Business is business and smart people don't have to be able to hear a profitable venture, they can see one.

I'd love to hear you say that kind of thing to my face bud, then you'd see how stupid I can get. Bet that!!

C.C.~~hates a condesending, holyier than thou, afraid to sign their name to a post, punk. Come to think of it, a few more of these posts and the Anon pansies will be forced to registar. Besides I might even be his father, I did spend 6 yrs in the service and traveled a lot. LOL

bigalerickson
04-21-2002, 04:51 AM
I agree completely with what Q guy said regarding the average joe player. The potential problem I think pool is facing is how often these players feel welcomed. How often does a skilled player take ten minutes and help out a some people who would appreciate that.

I know people who have been playing billiards in smoe form all their life, they are not very good, are not "excited" about it, but still love to play. If pool players collectively seeked out these individuals, and more people became excited about the game, and DEVELOPING their game, and the sport only then will it grow.

Just some rambling thoughts before I head off to bed, after a fun night.

04-21-2002, 05:39 AM
Well said.

04-21-2002, 05:48 AM
Well said

Doctor_D
04-21-2002, 07:01 AM
Good morning:

One means by which Pool could gain a greater level of positive exposure would be to take advantage of the public events held at major shopping malls through-out the country. Set up some tables and offer lessons and demonstrations. Visibility is key!

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-21-2002, 08:34 AM
Even if Billiards was full of great people, great sportsmanship and exciting matches, it still has to compete with the MAJOR sports of our day.
Even Pool Players take time from their games to watch Football, Basketball, Hockey, Baseball, NASCAR, Golf and even the newbie Soccer.

Even Bowling gets more TV time than Billiards. Bowling is more popular that Billiards.

Even the X-Games get more TV exposure than Billiards.

Reality check. Billiards is just a huge recreational activity. Even the most avid players don't make that many trips to a huge Billiard tournament.

Out side the USA, Billiards is more popular because it doesn't have to compete with the MAJOR sports. Only Soccer.

The same level (or maybe higher) of wagering goes on with the billiard tournaments outside the USA as what we experience at local tournaments.

Do we really want Billiards to be as popular as the MAJOR Sports?

Why is this so important? What do you have to gain by the growth of Billiards to a major sport?

Q-guy
04-21-2002, 10:27 AM
Post deleted by Q-guy

Doctor_D
04-21-2002, 10:32 AM
Good afternoon:

Money is key, no doubt about that. However, before the money flows there must be a saleable product. You can have the finest product or service in the world however, if few if any people know you exist and/or have access to your product it will never sell to its maximum potential.

Dr. D.

04-21-2002, 11:17 AM
probably a bunch of people here have more
facts on this than i do but, by simple observation, it seems to me that the real horsepower of the pool business is the the home equipment business. although a linkage case can be made between that and the commercial/competitive side, i wonder if the guys who really pay the bills are motivated to promote anything other than home equipment sales. the other sports are real hard to play at home so the market for home bowling lanes, for example, seems a bit small.

i wonder if this fundemental difference could be related to the fact that the big money isn't pushing it as a spectator sport?? seems that when there were pool rooms on every corner and the industry made most of it's money off commercial sales it was different.

how can we hope to have pool promoted as a commercial spectator sport when that is contrary to the interests of the whole "pool" industry??

dan

04-21-2002, 01:58 PM
Dan- I believe you are absolutely right about the driving force being the home equipment side of the industry- that is definitelty a factor in the stagnation of the competetive end of the sport. I also believe the manufacturers and potential promoters may have missed something. The growth of interest in the home end of the market can be somewhat attributed to the increase in tv exposure to the pro tournaments, etc on espn, etc. I know my own league has grown tremendously in the last 3 years (we have to keep adding divisions)- many of the new players have become excited and interested through the tv exposure! As they get involved in bar and league play, they begin to buy their own cues, then tables, etc.... I don't believe they ( manufacturers, potential promotors, trade associations, etc) are capitalizing on the market as they could. But I am just a simple player...... Patti Ireland