PDA

View Full Version : APA Captain/Co-Captain tourney on Sat. (long)

UWPoolGod
01-12-2004, 10:54 AM
So my APA captain signed us both up for this Captain/Co-captain tourney on Saturday. I always like playing in large tourneys so I was excited about it. I didn't hear anything about the rules, or how it was organized until I got there. My Captain called early Sat. and told me he was not going to go...douchebag. So I got the information and headed out the door. He is a SL6 and I am a SL7 8ball (never played APA 9ball).

It was held at Panama Reds in Beaverton, OR which was a recent Pechaeur Tour stop. I had never been there but it turned out to be a nice place 8 7-footers in three seperate areas so spacing was great and not too crowded.

I had no idea what the tourney was like. I knew about 7 other players from around Vancouver but did not know any of the Portland players. There was approx. 52 players but 64 spots were paid and some did not show (like my Captain).

It was strange though..if you lost in the 1st 2 rounds you went to the losers for a second chance and basically had their own run through the losers until coming back onto the winners side later on. After that the tourney was single elimination, one loss and out...including the losers. SL6&7 played even, SL4&5 played even, SL2&3 played even, with corresponding one game spots for Sl7 vs SL5 etc.

It was both 8ball and 9ball with an opening lag. 4 games of 9ball and 3 games of 8ball. The winner of the lag chose either which game to play..or the break. And whichever he chose the opponent got to do the opposite. Choose the break...opponent chooses what game to start with...choose the game and you spot him the break. So strategy plays into the lag. I didn't lose a lag all day and chose the break all but one time. Race to first 4 wins (3 for SL4/5, 2 for SL2/3)

I played very well all day, since I was concentrating to the max playing people I had never seen/played before and didn't know what their game was like. I did have to get used to the "NO PUSH OUT" rule in 9ball and had to kick at a few hooked break shots. I didn't see anyone using a jump cue and I haven't used one very much anyways.

I was super surprised against one guy though. He was a SL5. I won the lag, chose the break, and he chose 9ball. Which surprised me cause thats a decent spot when playing good players. I broke and ran three straight before coming up empty in the 4th. Bet he was kicking himself then. Everyone else always chose 8ball after I chose the break.

Anyways to make a long story short I finished 2nd. Lost to a guy Steve Tune from Portland. He was wearing a polo from the '99 APA Nationals Team tourney. I guess his team won the team event in Nationals in '99, '00, '01. He was very good. Smart good safes. He had me 2-1 in 8ball before we went to 9ball. I won the first 9ball to even the score 2-2. I broke and played a bad safe on the 3ball which he safed me well on. A scratch on the kick shot left him the open run out, which he finished and then he broke and ran his break for the 4-2 win. We got our picture taken and will be my first time in the "On the Wire" or "The Break" west coast pool papers. Sweetttttt. Gonna have to get a copy to mama so she can hang it on the refridge. LOL

$150 for 1st, $110 2nd, $65 3rd-4th, $35 5th-8th, $25 9th-16th, $15 17th-32nd. In my opinion they paid out too many low payouts but it is supposed to be a fun tourney and give something back to the players. Only 20 players didn't get anything back.

It was a good time though, enjoyed playing serious for the first time in a long time. Realized my 8ball break is struggling and my 9ball safes need some refreshing.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-12-2004, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr>
I knew about 7 other players from around Vancouver but did not know any of the Portland players....<hr /></blockquote>

Did you happen to run into a guy from Portland named Daniel Sass? He's an APA playing lawyer.

Congrats on your strong play.

My LO used to have an annual captains tourney with lots of door prizes. We would have a league rules meeting beforehand to discuss any issues of the previous year. We played to our APA handicap. I'm an 8-ball 5 and I would hate to see a 4 have to play me even, just as I would not want to play a 6 even. Anyway it was a nice perk for the captains, considering all the grief involved in the job. I wish he would do it again.

UWPoolGod
01-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Did you happen to run into a guy from Portland named Daniel Sass? He's an APA playing lawyer. &lt;-- Wally

If I ran into him I didn't know it. I beat a 30 yr old from Portland named Dan last week out of his cues. Doubt its the same guy.

Fred Agnir
01-12-2004, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>

Did you happen to run into a guy from Portland named Daniel Sass? He's an APA playing lawyer.

<hr /></blockquote>He used to have a pretty cool website updating his APA team's weekly activities.

Fred

Iowashark
01-12-2004, 11:38 AM
You're right, that is an odd format. Sounds like it was an interesting tourney with lots of variety, congrats on your strong finish. I've played a lot of tournies where the first round is single elim and everything after that is double elim. I think that's to speed up the tourney and weed out a lot of players early, but I've never seen that format in reverse.

UWPoolGod
01-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Yeah doing it in reverse was weird. You got a 2nd chance off the bat and could go a separate way apart from the rest. It might have been better to lose and then go through the losers with the weaker player...but I didn't really want to have to play an SL3 and spot em 2 games either. I played one 5, and the rest were 6's and 7's.

I wondered how they could do a full double elim tourney with that many players in one day with both 8ball and 9ball. The Pechaeur they had there a month ago was two days...first to the money and then money on Sunday.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-12-2004, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>He used to have a pretty cool website updating his APA team's weekly activities.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Yep. That's the guy I'm talking about. I used to read it every week. Sadly SLOPSHOTS.COM no longer exists. Maybe he just got too busy to keep it up. I emailed him back and forth a few times. He seemed like a real nice guy. He was quite flattered that people around the country were enjoying his website.

I remember a really cool pic he posted one week. They played at a place right near the mouth of the Columbia River and the view was incredible.

They had a good team but they did it mostly for fun, which is a good attitude to have regarding the APA league. I think they got the sportsmanship award when they went to Vegas.

I imagine he's still playing. I saw a letter to the editor from him in P &amp; B a few months ago. Being obviously net-savvy, I'm surprised he hasn't showed up on some forum.

UWPoolGod
01-12-2004, 12:20 PM
One match I was watching was an SL3 against a SL8?...I guess he was in some 1580? league that made him technically be an 8 but still plays as a 7. i guess it is just to signify that he played in that league.

But anyways the SL3 only has to win two games to the other guys 4. The SL8 wins the first 3 9ball and then loses to a combo on the 4th..so it is 3-1. The SL3 wins the first 8ball game so the match should have been over but they continued to play and the SL8 won the next and claimed the victory. I was not going to say anything to the TD since that is not my place...but still if I would have had to meet him later on I would not have been happy LOLOL. I don't know how the SL3 didn't realize...but it was the first round and he was probably as confused as I was at the beginning.

UWPoolGod
01-12-2004, 12:22 PM
You guys ever go to http://www.barenada.com/index2.shtml
and check out his daily banter on which beer he tried last night. Pretty funny. And some good pool vids.

Aboo
01-15-2004, 01:07 PM
That's a very cool site /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've never seen anyone bank like that in my life... and he says he can't compete on the upper level in the DCC. Wow. That's all I've got to say. Wow.