PDA

View Full Version : Barley's Billiards in Atlanta, GA

cycopath
01-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Anyone familiar with this place? Is it decent? Lots of tables, etc.?

My wife has a convention to go to at the World Congress Center in Feb., according to the Playpool.com Poolhall Finder is the closest poolhall by a longshot. So I'd like to know about the place before I go through the expense of cabfare to find out it's a dive.

Thanks.

pooltchr
01-12-2004, 03:06 PM
We are looking at expanding the amateur 9-ball tour into that area. I spoke to the owner, and she told me they generally don't do tournaments, they cater more toward private parties, and that kind of thing. That tells me something about the room.

Mr Cues II in Atlanta is a nice, large, well kept room that I am familiar with. Plenty of tables, players room. Probably worth checking out.
Steve

Pizza Bob
01-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Not bad in an "any port in a storm" kind of way. PM heater451. I played with him there - all B'wick furniture grade tables. Unfortunately, all eight footers, but not too bad. Decent food, nice place, plentiful parking (pay - public lot). Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Scott Lee
01-12-2004, 04:20 PM
I have given several lessons at Barley's, and been treated well. It is a nice room, just like Pizza Bob described. They have 20 8' tables, on two floors. The owners are both BCA instructors, so it seems strange that they would turn down Steve's offer to be part of the 'tour'...but who knows.
All in all, a clean, smoke-free poolroom, located in downtown Atlanta.

Scott Lee

sandgnat
01-12-2004, 04:44 PM
The place is very much on the upscale side (and smoke-free). I worked for Larry and Barbara as a bartender back in the mid 1980's when they opened their first place on P'tree Industrial. They were trying to create a nice place for pool players, both casual and serious, to play that defied all of the stereotypes associated with pool halls at the time. They are very friendly and totally dedicated to promoting the sport in a positive manner. They got Nick Varner and another pro (Mike Siegel, I think) to give an exhibition right after they opened. Business was very slow those first few weeks, but it really took off after that.

sandgnat
01-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Here is a link to their website. Barley's Billiards. (http://www.barleysatlanta.com/home.asp)

pooltchr
01-13-2004, 06:46 AM
Scott,
Thanks for letting me know about Barbara and Larry. She didn't turn us down, she just wasn't real encouraging. I might give her another call. Maybe the instructor connection will help. When I found it on the internet, it looked like a pretty nice place to hold a tour stop.
Steve

cycopath
01-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.
That's probably were I'll wind up, although I'm not real excited about the $10/hour charge even for just one guy.

cuechick
01-13-2004, 05:27 PM
I 2nd the suggestion of Mr. Cues..it is a good room with good players. Monica and Helena play there a lot. Also the 'Poolroom' in Marietta is good and they have a lot of one night touraments..7 ball and 9ball and you might see Johnny Archer. They also have one Sundays at 4pm...Also Twains in Decatur is not bad and has a non smoking room.

Scott Lee
01-13-2004, 09:48 PM
I've done lessons in all of the other rooms mentioned by Cuechick. They are all nice rooms, depending on which side of Atlanta you happen to be on!

Scott Lee

pooltchr
01-14-2004, 06:56 AM
I talked with Kevin at the Poolroom last night. He was very helpful, set up a couple of tournaments with us for later this year, and from what he tells me about the room, I can't wait to see it. It sounds like a great room!

JayCee
01-16-2004, 08:41 PM
Pooltchr,

How does one go about getting on the tour?

Scott Lee
01-17-2004, 01:33 PM
JayCee...Anyone can play. Just show up and pay your entry.
There may be a small 'tour card' dues...I don't know. Still playin' in APA in Atlanta?

Scott Lee