b) Practicing shots with cueball on cushion
c) Practicing bridging over balls

I just find these things boring to practice

bigshooter
01-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Shooting left handed.

sandgnat
01-12-2004, 08:46 PM
I agree with shooting the cue ball off the rail. I HATE that. But it is a major key for improving my game. I try to mix a few of those shots in here and there between other drills. On the other hand, I love practicing long cut shots. Does anybody have any shots they love to practice?

bigbro6060
01-12-2004, 09:14 PM
i love practicing the break, i can break all day

and also love practicing potting tough long shots

Wally_in_Cincy
01-13-2004, 12:13 PM
inside english

stop shots

mechanical bridge

shooting off handed

Rod
01-13-2004, 12:23 PM
I like to shoot most any shot, with any english. Having said that long thin cuts give me a problem, because of eyesight and a cataract in one eye now. I don't really practice them, but probably should. However I do know my limitations, which means just as much to me as practicing low percentage shots. Know your limitations and not exceeding them on any shot will win you more games in the long run. I see people shoot shots they don't have a chance in hell to make during a game. They shot the shot because they made similar, once in a while during practice. LOL

Rod

UWPoolGod
01-13-2004, 12:30 PM
The most important shot in pool....the break. How often do you just rack the balls, break em, and then rerack? I do it maybe once a year. LOL. Helps to have a spotter that wants to switch off racking/breaking every half hour or so.

Rod
01-13-2004, 12:40 PM
LOL, your right and I still do practice it a fair amount, just not for long periods. In my younger years, when I could play a little, I paid a kid 5 bucks for an hour just to keep reracking the balls. I had to give him a lesson on racking as I would not accept sloppy racks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod

glupidio
01-13-2004, 02:15 PM
I found a good compromise that works without draining my will to live. When I'm practicing 9-ball I will break again and again until I get a really good one before I allow myself to take another shot. I use the following criteria:

1. Cue ball controlled, landing close to the center or head of the table
2. Wing ball pocketed, and/or 1 in the side
3. Good spread, few problem balls or clusters

I started out just going for cue ball control at fairly low speed. Once I got fairly consistent with that I started hitting them harder and added item 2, and then 3. If I find myself racking more than 5 times in a row I'll back off some requirements and focus on the fundamentals again.

I like this method because it's good practice, and you get to run some balls in between as a bit of a reward for a good break.

-Glupidio

UTAddb
01-13-2004, 03:46 PM
combos! such a pain to set up

Cueless Joey
01-13-2004, 04:00 PM
Meditation.
I need to practice it.

ryushen21
01-13-2004, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigshooter:</font><hr> Shooting left handed. <hr /></blockquote>

Definitely. I can make a good number of shots left handed, but my control is always lacking. But other than that, my break out shots in straight pool, kicks, jumps, and rail shots/shooting.

woody_968
01-13-2004, 06:21 PM
I hate doing one of the simplest drills and possibly one of the most helpfull. Its when you use only the cueball to shoot at the end rail and make it come back to hit your tip. You must stay down, aim correctly, and lets you know if you put any english on the cueball. Great drill, and I HATE doing it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Leave it to the great state of Texas to produce this (IMO) great break practice routine.

Thanks.. I'll certainly use this and pass it on...

Still learning after all these years...

cheesemouse
01-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Besides what others have all ready mentioned there is one that hasn't been mentioned that always helps me. Practice scratching...the way I do it is to play games in reverse. If playing 8/9 ball you simply shot the object balls off the cueball to legally pocket them. After playing a few racks this way I always come away knowing more about the path the cueball takes in normal play.

Rod
01-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Now that you mention that Cheese, I'd completely forgot about that one. I need to have a friend practice that little drill for a while. The only problem is he plays only on a bar box with the heavier c/b so he would have to use object balls or find a std weight c/b. The table is open so that isn't a problem. Thanks for the thought.

Rod