PDA

View Full Version : 10 Ball & Sardo

charlieb
01-12-2004, 10:58 PM
For yrs I watched pro's whine and complain about the racks they were getting. These pro's were sooo particular about getting a tight rack. Then the Sardo brothers come up with a rack that gave everyone a perfectly tight rack, everytime, and all people could do was bitch about the wing ball going in all the time which is the result of a "perfect rack.' I, for one, would prefer to see the pro's play 10 Ball with a Sardo Rack and I think, if the Sardo can easily handle the concept, that we would see some better pool and still eliminate the wasting of time by players who demand on constant re-racking and arguing.

Cueless Joey
01-13-2004, 01:34 AM
One more crater on the cloth.
What is wrong with a good triangle rack?

cheesemouse
01-13-2004, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote charlieb:</font><hr> For yrs I watched pro's whine and complain about the racks they were getting. These pro's were sooo particular about getting a tight rack. Then the Sardo brothers come up with a rack that gave everyone a perfectly tight rack, everytime, and all people could do was bitch about the wing ball going in all the time which is the result of a "perfect rack.' I, for one, would prefer to see the pro's play 10 Ball with a Sardo Rack and I think, if the Sardo can easily handle the concept, that we would see some better pool and still eliminate the wasting of time by players who demand on constant re-racking and arguing. <hr /></blockquote>

You'll notice that ring games now becoming popular are a 10-ball format. If you ask the question why? I think the answer is: with the 10-ball rack it is difficult to string racks because of the unlikely hood of any player consistantly making balls on the break. I would venture to bet that no player put up a three-pack in the resent Miss/event or will in the Derby event. That is the beauty of the 10-ball rack, a player can wear himself out trying to find a break that makes a ball. The rack can be loose, tight, or even twisted and it remains difficult to pocket a ball on the break.
IMHO 10-ball is the only way to fly for the pro's. They could play winner breaks, eliminate inspection of the rack, and shorten the race. All the while keeping it a fair competition. They could even call it 9-ball and just use a break ball that would be pulled after the break. Having a 10th break ball is a great way to take the break advantage away from a 'monster' breaker when matching up in 9-ball. The 'crush machines' may not like it but hey..........

Now as far as the Sardo-Crap...excuses me!...rack just leave in the box it is shipped in....wood is good.......

Chris Cass
01-13-2004, 09:26 AM
Hi charlieb,

I think your missing the main problem with the Sardo Gismo. The problem isn't the rack, it's the training of the cloth and the position they're placing the rack.

I happen to agree with moving to a ten ball game and don't train the cloth and for God sakes, don't rack the ten ball on the dang spot.

Oh, one more problem. Find a place for the rack. Hated picking it off the floor everytime. Then again, if I won every game I wouldn't sweat picking it up. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-13-2004, 11:19 AM
Why stop at changing the 9 ball game to 10 ball? or having the 9 or 10 on the foot spot when racked? or using the Sardo rack for the "tight rack everytime"? (notice I left out the word perfect? Sardo is not perfect, it's just easier to use for a tight rack)

Why not just change all the rules so that every PLAYER can have an equal chance at 1st place? that way you don't have to be a PRO to win a tournament. Every tournament will have a different winner. It won't matter how good a player is, because the rules will only favor CHANCE. You won't have to have any skill.

Take SKILL out of the game altogether. NOW I will have as good a chance to win any tournament I enter as anyone.

Only the true PRO pool players will have the practice time, matching up time and tournament experience to be able to continue WHINNING and COMPLAINING.

Change the rules? Absolutely NOT!

IMO this is just one of the MAJOR problems with pool. As long as the INDUSTRY can keep changing the rules where is the consistancy?

reverend_dave
01-14-2004, 05:28 AM
I'll agree that breaking and making balls consistently with a traditional rack and ten balls is more difficult. But after playing in the Trump Ten Ball challenge last February, I have to question the use of the Sardo. I saw more 10 balls heading straight for the corner pocket than ever before in my life. Strickland made 5 in a raw while warming up. Corey Duel wa playing a race to 11 with the score tied at 6, He won the game and then "broke out" the set. I believe the 10 ball went in the same pocket each time. That was very exciting for his opponent.

It seems like the sardo rack is creating a world of professional breakers, and it distances the pros from the top amatuers. Try overcoming the pros run out game and the fact that they have perfected a break using a rack and equipment most players never see or get to practice with. I feel it gives the professional player an even greater edge in the big events.

Just my opinion!

JimS
01-14-2004, 06:25 AM
I'd love for them to be playing 10 ball.

I see no reason to use that rack.

cheesemouse
01-14-2004, 06:47 AM
reverend_dave

First off, welcome aboard

I had not heard some of the pro's had found a break in 10-ball using the sardo. Thanks for sharing. Where are they putting the ten ball, on the spot? If what you say is so then it is just another reason to rid the game of the sardo rack...I have never used the thing but rely on information from others who have and from what I see on the tube.

Popcorn
02-15-2004, 02:29 PM
"I'll agree that breaking and making balls consistently with a traditional rack and ten balls is more difficult. But after playing in the Trump Ten Ball challenge last February, I have to question the use of the Sardo. I saw more 10 balls heading straight for the corner pocket than ever before in my life. Strickland made 5 in a raw while warming up. Corey Duel wa playing a race to 11 with the score tied at 6, He won the game and then "broke out" the set."
I just happen to come across this post, I find it hard to believe that all those 10 balls were made on the break in a row. You actually saw this?

Popcorn
02-15-2004, 03:42 PM
To play 10-ball is not to change the rules of 9-ball, it is a different game. The logic is simply that, pros should play the most challenging game. You would not want to see pros playing cutthroat would you? I just don't think 9-ball race to 7 with ball in hands and hill-hill games are what the pros should be playing. I would much prefer signle elimination with something like race to 11 two out of three sets and win by two. The players could play as few as once or twice a day. Scheduling would be easy, you would know when you are going to play for a change. You would not possibly end up playing all day on the final day, it would just be much better for the players and a better format. I am a big fan of single elimination with multiple sets, especially in small local tournaments.

reverend_dave
02-15-2004, 05:56 PM
I feel the need to follow up on my original post from a few months ago. Although I did witness the barrage of ten balls being made on the break at the Trump 10 ball tourney, I had a chance to talk with Mr. Sardo at the Derby Classic this year and he assured me that the reason for all the 10 balls going on the break at Trumps was due to the tables not being set up properly for the Sardo rack (i.e. training the spots for the balls to settle in). This seemed like a plausible explanation because I certainly didn't see the 10 ball flying during the ring games at the Derby City.

Take it for what its worth.