PDA

View Full Version : NEW JOSS SHAFT?

MaineEAck
04-19-2002, 10:50 PM
A buddy of mine wants another joss shaft for his cue, and he heard about a new shaft pin or insert type things that they are using, have you heard anything about it?

Cueless Joey
04-20-2002, 12:18 AM
I heard it has the run-out insert. LOL
Joss's site mentions nothing about this.

BillPorter
04-20-2002, 06:41 AM
Jordan, Joss has changed from a brass insert in the shaft to a phenolic insert. Here is a copy of an email I received from Amanda Joss:

Dear Bill,
Good Morning. The main difference in the cues we are making now is the insert in the shaft. Before we were using brass inserts and now we are using phenolic inserts. Phenolic is a linen based material. The phenolic insert cuts down on vibration in the shaft and makes for a more
solid shot. The phenolic insert fits on the pin tight and molds to the shape of the pin overtime. You are right it is not just a gimmick, it really does work. We still offer the brass because we have many long time traditional customers that have grown accustom to the hit of them.
If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Amanda Janes
amanda@josscues.com

There it is, straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. The reason I got curious about this topic is that Jimmy Reid mentioned how much he liked the hit of the "new" Joss cues on his Website. Of course, he sells them, so I figured he was biased. I plan to compare the feel of the brass vs. the phenolic in a couple of weeks when I go to Dallas and visit one of my favorite pool places--Hawleys.

04-20-2002, 11:04 AM
Hey Bill, would you to be a big favor and let me know your opinion on the new Joss shaft when you do try it out? I curently shoot with a Joss and have been shooting with it for about 4 years now. I really like the hit of Joss with the brass insert but am thinking very seriously about trying out the new ones with the pressed linen insert. I think I would like it even better. I had written Joss just as you because of that very same article. Thanks Bill and I will talk to you later. Please feel free to email me if you would like Bill. Kevin Clanton kclanton@sunnet.net

Cueless Joey
04-20-2002, 12:32 PM
Oh, oh, Joss has gone Huebler. I know a local cuemaker who uses Delrin insert but uses the big pin. I've seen a lot of Huebler inserts break. Joss does use a diff. 14 pitch pin instead of 18 pitch, so it might last longer.