PDA

View Full Version : Pool table size - 7' vs. 8'.

armandito
01-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Hi,
I made a choice on the table I'll be buying, however the price difference is only $100 for the larger table. What would you recommend?

My gameroom is 13'x16', which is the recommended minimum for a 7' using a 58" cue. Would you go for the 8' and get a couple short cues? Or stay with the 7', the 58" cues, and a little more space around the table?

Rod
01-13-2004, 02:33 PM
At 13 X 16 it is very tight even for a 7 footer. 8 foot is out of the question IMO. Here is a link, scroll about half way down to table sizes. Table size (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sports/billiards/faq/)

Having to play with short cues gets real boring, not to mention frustrating in the long run.

Rod

pooltchr
01-13-2004, 02:50 PM
If your room is 13 x 16, you are going to be a little bit tight with a 7 foot table. To get 5' all the way around the table you have to add 10 feet to the table dimensions. 3.5 x 7 needs 13.5 by 17. That's without any furniture that would get in the way. 4 x 8 needs 14 x 18 so you are even tighter. Stick with the 7' IMHO

Fred Agnir
01-13-2004, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> If your room is 13 x 16, you are going to be a little bit tight with a 7 foot table. To get 5' all the way around the table you have to add 10 feet to the table dimensions. 3.5 x 7 needs 13.5 by 17. That's without any furniture that would get in the way. 4 x 8 needs 14 x 18 so you are even tighter. Stick with the 7' IMHO <hr /></blockquote>I'll sound like a broken record and say once again that this idea of adding 10' to the dimension is slightly off. If 18' is the guideline length for an 8' table, then 14ft 4" is its corresponding width. Do the math.

Similarly, if 17' is the chosen guideline length for a 7' table, assuming it's a home table as opposed to a bar table, the corresponding width is 13 ft. 10".

I'd hate for someone to say, "Hey, I've got a 14 x 18 room" and then find out he's four inches shorter than he needed to be for an 8' table.

And as a reminder, a 7' bar table from Dynamo or Valley measures 40" x 80" playing surface, as opposed to most 7 furniture table (38 x 76")

HTH,

Fred

logixrat
01-13-2004, 10:15 PM
I'll go ahead and add my vote for the 7' table as well. Not so much because I like playing on them, but simply because of space requirements. Currently I have a standard 8' table snugged into a room just a little bigger, and it just isn't as pleasurable and I can't stretch out the way I like to. Thankfully we are selling our current house, and building a new one with a bigger game room to appropriately support this size of a table.

One good thing about being in tight spaces is that it makes you more aware of your ball position. I am getting good at being towards the middle of the table. Still, I will be thankful for the day I can move in to my bigger space.

But if it wasn't for the space issue, I'd say go for the 8' table. For me, they provide the right blend as a 9' is just a little too big and the 7' is a little small. I can play on any of them, but definitely prefer the 8' table.