PDA

View Full Version : Teahing sl2s

bluewolf
01-14-2004, 06:46 AM
I met this sl2 who wants to be sl3 and she asked me to help her. At least this one is motivated.

She has a good eye for the shot but misses due to her stroke. She has a clean preshot routine with a stroke and stance that looks decent. Then on the strike of the cueball, she muscles it, jerks, lifts her head and the cue stick points up.

I got her to relax and not worry about balls going in and she started to make more shots. Still has that jerk. I am still going to help her again but my hats off to folks who can teach this so well.

I just hate to see sl2s who want to advance but noone helps them. She has a good idea about the table and can play safe based on her ability. I think that if more people would help these low sls, they would be 4s in a period of time, anyway.

Laura

pooltchr
01-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Laura,
Try having her just shoot balls into the pockets, not into other balls. Line them up, and have her just focus on the stroke. Repetition is the key to getting that part down. Throw in another step...Set, Pause, RELAX, finish/freeze. You already know this, you just have to help her to feel what is right. (Lots of encouragement helps. Let her know when she hits the right stroke!)
Steve

Kato
01-14-2004, 07:49 AM
Laura, I've noticed you're not a SL2 any more. What is your current SL?

Good luck in helping your friend. Giving back is a good thing.

Kato~~~~giver.

9 Ball Girl
01-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Hey Laura, so you're no longer an SL2? What did I miss? Anyway, congrats! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

UWPoolGod
01-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Yeah after reading that APA handicap system calulator on the other thread I can now see why our SL2 girl (maybe should be a SL1) went up to a SL3. BECAUSE SHE ACCIDENTALLY BEAT A SL6!!!!! It is pretty much a guaranteed loss each week but it is all for "fun".

She wants help too but she'll just quit in a year after using her orange graphite cue. But thats the thing with APA you have to have weaker players on the team...or play BCA. So you have tp put up with the 20 inning games (oh yeah..its happened).

As far as helping her...tell her to practice her swinging elbow stroke more. Teach her a closed bridge..at least that will keep her from lifting the cue up.

bluewolf
01-14-2004, 06:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Laura, I've noticed you're not a SL2 any more. What is your current SL?

Good luck in helping your friend. Giving back is a good thing.

Kato~~~~giver. <hr /></blockquote>

i was a sl3 before I dropped the league. So if I play league again, I would have to start as an sl3 no matter how much I have improved.

Then I did a falcon tour tourny and lost 4-5 to an sl5. I think dead even is more fun and playing more games I like better too. Looking to play with whoever I can get to play these days.

So I guess I am an slX. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Pelican
01-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Normally you go back in at the last SL you held. This assumes the league operator has you in the system. If you are not still listed then it would be starting all over - female at SL3 and male at SL4.

Ralph S.
01-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Laura, based on all your prior posts, I know you have taken many lessons with Scott and other instructors. Knowing this, you should have at your disposal, several drills. Teaching is something not all can do and do well. Teaching requires a certain knack, as well as a great amount of patience.

I applaud your efforts to help. The best way to do this is getting the new player into a drill mindset. It wouldn't hurt to do some or all of these drills along with them. it would be beneficial to both of you for numerous reasons.

01-15-2004, 11:30 AM

Kato
01-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Nah, you won't see Ken in Valley Forge. Your only hope is that he's able to make the Open though I wouldn't count on it. The poor boy is basically a workaholic that in his spare time shoots a couple of balls in the pocket.

Ken does lurk this board though and I'm pretty sure that he is aware of any improvement Laura has made. On the other hand, Ken, Eric, Fred, Voodoo, and I all have tons of testosterone and will take the original bet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato~~~~The Real SL2

Scott Lee
01-15-2004, 01:20 PM
I agree with Ralph...with one exception. Laura, you MUST elminate the jerk, from her swing. Do it the same way I taught you. Immobilize the upper arm, by putting downward pressure on her tricep, with your hand (Remember, I told you to imagine there was a bottle of pop/beer sitting on top of your upper arm). Tell her to resist the pressure, and swing her forearm to it's natural conclusion...WITHOUT dropping her elbow. There should be NO flex in the bicep at all! She must relax to do this. Once she figures out how easy it is, she should be able to start swinging the cue more consistently the same! That will be the FIRST step to her improving her pool game. Then teach her the first three drills I showed you. The first two will give her an idea of what cue ball speed is...just using the CB...and show her whether or not she can hit the CB where she thinks she can. Then she shoots in easy shots, one after another. These are foolproof methods of rapid improvement.

Scott

MrSecant
01-15-2004, 02:44 PM
can anyone explain what the "SL" thing is?

PQQLK9
01-15-2004, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrSecant:</font><hr> can anyone explain what the "SL" thing is? <hr /></blockquote>

SL =Skill Level
A designation that denotes ones level of apparent competency in League play.
SL2-Sl7
in most Leagues Females are usually entered as SL2's and Males are SL4's because we are better than them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrSecant:</font><hr> can anyone explain what the "SL" thing is? <hr /></blockquote>

Skill Level

In the APA you are handicapped according to your skill level from 2 to 7, with sl-2 and sl-3 being a "D" player, sl-7 is "B+" and above.

Kato
01-15-2004, 03:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> in most Leagues Females are usually entered as SL2's and Males are SL4's because we are better than them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato~~~not sexist /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
01-15-2004, 03:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> in most Leagues Females are usually entered as SL2's and Males are SL4's because we are better than them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato~~~not sexist /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Of course you're better than us at handling a stick and balls. We just know how to finesse it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wendy&lt;---is going to hear it now...

Kato
01-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Thumbs up, 2 times

Kato~~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
01-15-2004, 03:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> because we are better than them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Nick, my friend. Are you trying to start a RIOT???????????
LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif