PDA

View Full Version : Fred Agnir's article in Inside Pool

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Thought I'd better start a new thread.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Get to it. I need the feedback. Okay, I need the ego boost ;-)

<hr /></blockquote>

Referring to your report on the big custom cue show in LA, I read it. It was very good. Did you take the pictures?

Fred Agnir
01-14-2004, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Thought I'd better start a new thread.

Referring to your report on the big custom cue show in LA, I read it. It was very good. Did you take the pictures? <hr /></blockquote>I hired some schmuck off the street.

We submitted some 30 photos. One that didn't get printed was the photo of the Madera Del Rey collection, which was one of the main displays.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2004, 09:39 AM
I thought the photo of the scrimshawed cues was excellent. Overall the article and photos were at least as good, if not better, than the article in BD written by that lady from Chalkers (forgot her name)

Fred Agnir
01-14-2004, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I thought the photo of the scrimshawed cues was excellent. Overall the article and photos were at least as good, if not better, than the article in BD written by that lady from Chalkers (forgot her name) <hr /></blockquote>Unfortunately, the photo of the Scrimshawed cues was miscaptioned.

The caption should have read:

----------------------------
The Richard Black 9-11 cue, the Paul Drexler Hustler on Film cue and the Tim Scruggs Hustler cue, were scrimshawed by Sandra Brady. The Torture cue was made and scrimshawed by Edwin Reyes of the Philippines.
------------------------------------

Lady from Chalkers? Martyne (Sue) Backman?

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2004, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Sue Backman?

<hr /></blockquote>

yep. That's her.

thanks for the info. I'll go back and check out the pic again.

It was cool they put your picture with the article but a good head shot would have been better than the "reverse chicken-wing stroke" pic /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fred Agnir
01-14-2004, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> It was cool they put your picture with the article but a good head shot would have been better than the "reverse chicken-wing stroke" pic /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>Hopefully, February's issue will have the new picture.

Fred

Paul_Mon
01-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Fred,
After I heard about this I went to Barnes &amp; Noble but couldn't find "Inside Pool". I asked the only guy who subscribes and he had tossed it. Did you (or can you) scan this article and send me a copy?

Paul

Fred Agnir
01-14-2004, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Fred,
After I heard about this I went to Barnes &amp; Noble but couldn't find "Inside Pool". I asked the only guy who subscribes and he had tossed it. Did you (or can you) scan this article and send me a copy?

Paul <hr /></blockquote>If you register at http://www.insidepool.com, you can download the issues in their Download section. It's this month's (January 2004) issue.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2004, 01:44 PM
Paul,

You could subscribe but you will never receive a copy. They charged my credit card on Sept. 15th and I have yet to receive one. This has to be a record /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I buy 'em at the pool hall.

Guess I should call 'em but I'm testing to see how long it takes.

RedHell
01-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Fred,

Nice article. One thing I wish there was is a little bit more of your appreciation of the cues. Which bring my next question, which cue and maker impressed you the most ?

On a side note, does the torture cue look as good as its picture ? Was the 2 cues set displayed or only the playing cue without it's break cue ?

Kato
01-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Who is Fred Agnir?

No just kidding. Actually Fred I liked the article quite a bit. I did find it rather infomative. You're a really sharp guy though and I wouldn't expect any less.

Kato~~~sharp and shiny as a marble. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fred Agnir
01-14-2004, 04:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> Fred,

Nice article. One thing I wish there was is a little bit more of your appreciation of the cues. Which bring my next question, which cue and maker impressed you the most ?<hr /></blockquote> Tough question. Going into it, Ernie Gutierrez always had my unending respect and admiration. Since I've seen much of the other's works, they all get blended together as unsurpassed masters.

I guess I'd have to say that the Scrimshaw work by Sandra Brady, and the wrap-around inlays by Thomas Wayne impressed my the most. Not to belittle anyone else's work.

[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, does the torture cue look as good as its picture ? Was the 2 cues set displayed or only the playing cue without it's break cue ? <hr /></blockquote> Only the shooting cue was on display. The work is indescribable (though it's described plenty on poolplayersparadise.com). Absolutely gorgeous. And, they play pretty damned well.

Fred

jjinfla
01-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Nice article - you must have really enjoyed yourself seeing all these quality cues. Were they just for display? Or were they for sale too? Was the show open to the public? Are you the cuemaker who purchased the Madera Collection? How many cues were in it? 12? Did you have cues in the show?

Jake

Paul_Mon
01-15-2004, 08:22 AM
Nice work Fred. I'm hoping that some of these cues might be seen at VF.

Fred Agnir
01-15-2004, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Nice article - you must have really enjoyed yourself seeing all these quality cues. Were they just for display? Or were they for sale too? <hr /></blockquote>
I think most had "price tags."
[ QUOTE ]
Was the show open to the public? <hr /></blockquote>Yup, though it wasn't really advertised much.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you the cuemaker who purchased the Madera Collection? <hr /></blockquote> I am neither a cuemaker nor a high-dollar collector.

[ QUOTE ]
How many cues were in it? 12? <hr /></blockquote> Nine

http://home.comcast.net/~ohagnir1/Madera.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Did you have cues in the show?<hr /></blockquote> Nope. I knew about the show ahead of time, and so my wife and I decided on a weekend vacation to Los Angeles. I told Sally Timko that we were going, so she asked if I'd do an article. The rest is (will be ) history.

Fred

Jimmy B
01-15-2004, 02:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>I hired some schmuck off the street.

Fred
<hr /></blockquote>
WOW !!!! Great pics, how much does a SCHUMCK charge???

JB

Kato
01-15-2004, 02:44 PM
I'd be willing to bet that SCHMUCK was overpaid /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

Jimmy B
01-15-2004, 02:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> which cue and maker impressed you the most ?

On a side note, does the torture cue look as good as its picture ? Was the 2 cues set displayed or only the playing cue without it's break cue ? <hr /></blockquote>

If you go to Poolplayersparadise.com and register you can read the whole story about how the cue came to be and there are also many great pics of the cue and the cue being made, it's a great story with real good pics, trust me if you haven't gone to sign up there yet you don't know what you're missing (totally unbiased opinion of course)
Go take a look.

Poolplayersparadise.com
forums
PPP forum
Torture thread
photo gallery
try it you'll love it.

JB

Jimmy B
01-15-2004, 02:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Only the shooting cue was on display. The work is indescribable (though it's described plenty on poolplayersparadise.com). Absolutely gorgeous. And, they play pretty damned well.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

You mean to tell us you shot with a cue that nice (and expensive)??? WOW! must be nice being Fred Agnir.

JB

Fred Agnir
01-15-2004, 03:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr>

You mean to tell us you shot with a cue that nice (and expensive)??? WOW! must be nice being Fred Agnir.

JB <hr /></blockquote>If you're nice, maybe I'll see if the guy who owns it will let you try it out. If you're nice.

Fred

tateuts
01-15-2004, 03:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>If you register at http://www.insidepool.com, you can download the issues in their Download section. It's this month's (January 2004) issue.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Fred,

I'm registered and I couldn't get the download to work - can you give me some help? Is the article posted anywhere else?

Thanks,

Chris

Paul_Mon
01-16-2004, 09:23 AM
It didn't work for me on Wednesday night but did on Thurdsay. Try it again

Barbara
01-16-2004, 10:00 AM
OMIGOD!

Fred, I got that issue last month and didn't open it until I read this thread!! Great article!!

Barbara

RedHell
01-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Jimmy,

Of course I am registered and I have read this whole cue story. This is pretty much why I knew the torture cue had a little Break sister.

I have followed 2 projects from Edwing Reyes, the wilderness southwest (can't remember the final name he settled for) and the Torture cue Jimbo got from.

As for trying it, from what I can understand, Jimbo is in real life a nice person enough to let you try it. I say real life, cuz online he can be pretty nasty /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fred Agnir
01-16-2004, 01:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> Jimmy,

Of course I am registered and I have read this whole cue story...

As for trying it, from what I can understand, Jimbo is in real life a nice person enough to let you try it. I say real life, cuz online he can be pretty nasty /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif<hr /></blockquote>
I can't help but snicker.

Fred

RedHell
01-16-2004, 02:13 PM
You wanna see the grin I had when I wrote that down /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jimmy B
01-16-2004, 02:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr>

As for trying it, from what I can understand, Jimbo is in real life a nice <hr /></blockquote>

I've heard this also.

JB

Kato
01-16-2004, 02:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> As for trying it, from what I can understand, Jimbo is in real life a nice person enough to let you try it. I say real life, cuz online he can be pretty nasty /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif<hr /></blockquote>

Sometimes Jimbo will e-mail me to say "hi" and I'll go cower in the corner. He once told me, "I'm the nicest guy in the world if there's a 12 state buffering between us". Well maybe it wasn't him but if he wanted to he coulda said that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~tip toes away /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara
01-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Kato,

Don't let him bother you. I know Jimbo's kryptonite. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~oh yeah, oh yeah....