PDA

View Full Version : Pool Table Size Revisited - Should I ?

Bob_in_Cincy
01-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Let's forget about room size requirements for a bit. Let's talk about whether or not it's worth doing.

I've done the math using the RSB FAQ calculations & have determined that without major renovations, a 7 ft. table is all I'm going to be able to get in the room. The question is should I, or just suck it up & keep going to the poolroom instead? The question, IMO, is whether or not this will help me or hurt me given that I'm about an APA 4.

I know I could use it for some (but not all) drills, fundamentals work , diamond systems, offhand shots, etc.,which is no small thing at my level. But would all of that on a 7' table at home be better done on a bigger table elsewhere? I think I'd probably practice more than I do now if I had a table, and it sure would be nice to just run downstairs for a half hour or so whenever I pleased.

Oh yeah, even with the seven footer there'd be some need for short cues on one of the long rails due to support beams.

I play leagues on bar boxes, stretch 8s, & 9-footers, by the way.

Regards,
Bob In Cincy

Perk
01-14-2004, 01:06 PM
I beleive that you answered your own question when ya said you play leagues on bar boxes. First, if you use the skills on a 7', then yes, it would be beneficial.

First, having a table at home regardless of the size is a good thing. Getting to hit balls consistently will help you. Also, thoughts, theories, systems help you on ALL tables. You have to just adjust a bit. And you have to adjust to strictly 9' tables regardless anyways due to speed, rails, and other conditions.

A 7' table is more similiar to a 9' table in regards to the dimensions even more so than an 8' is to a 9'.

I definately would take a 7' in my home (I have one) rather than not have a table. If you still shoot on leagues/tourneys/and play alot on 9' tables, you can still work on "letting" your stroke out.

IMO

pooltchr
01-14-2004, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr>A 7' table is more similiar to a 9' table in regards to the dimensions even more so than an 8' is to a 9'.<hr /></blockquote>

could you expand on this comment? I thought they were all twice as long as they are wide. What would make the difference?

I do agree with the rest of your coment. Get the 7 footer if that is what you have room for. It's worth it just for the additional practice time you will get.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Bob,

I think it would definitely be worth it, especially since you sometimes play on bar boxes. I bought a house in May with an 8-footer in the basement. It is really nice to be able to practice without having to schlep down to the poolroom. It's cheaper too.

I think the big question is what kind of cloth to put on it. Do the bar tables you play on have fast cloth or slow cloth?

Perk
01-14-2004, 01:33 PM
I had read something along the reasons why is was, but cant remember where from. I retract that statement regarding the dimensions until I find where I read it.

Fred Agnir
01-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Bob, I have a 7' home table. It's smaller than a 7' bar table. It is the number one reason that I shoot consistently in league or in tournament play, 7', 8' or 9'.

HTH,

Fred

Rod
01-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Bob

It's going to help you a lot in the long run. It gives you the opportunity to practice stroke mechanics and we all need a dose of that especially players that don't run many balls. Drills etc all come into play. One other thing is it gives you the opportunity to warm up before league play. Many times when players go to league or even a tournament there may not be enough time to warm up because of others playing and few tables.

I have a tournament tonight, on 9 footers but I'd still like to warm up more before going even if it is on a 7 footer. The TD usually gets there late so I may only get 10 minutes or less or show up early and pay for the time. Just some thoughts.

Rod

Bob_in_Cincy
01-14-2004, 02:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I think the big question is what kind of cloth to put on it. Do the bar tables you play on have fast cloth or slow cloth? <hr /></blockquote>

Depends on which of the 2 tables you're on &amp; what part of the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif . They're not the best. I was thinking of getting Simonis 860 or some other fast cloth &amp; maybe getting slightly tighter pockets.

Regards,
Bob

Ken
01-14-2004, 02:17 PM
The Diamond 7 foot tables are designed to play just the same as the 9 footers. They are also being used in a lot of tournaments. It might be a good compromise but perhaps a bit pricey.
KenCT

Perk
01-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Simonis will work well on the table. I would only tighten the pockets if thats what your leagues/matches are on. If you do decide to tighten, dont over shim them. There is a poolhall around here that has 2 7' tables that are double shimmed, and play SO fast. HARDLY anyone will play on them. It might help your eye/focus, but will hurt your stroke in the long run if you have super tight pockets. As it is now, a 7' table will cramp your stroke, so I recommend keep getting out some on 9' tables to let it out.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2004, 02:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> The Diamond 7 foot tables are designed to play just the same as the 9 footers. They are also being used in a lot of tournaments. It might be a good compromise but perhaps a bit pricey.
KenCT <hr /></blockquote>

The Diamond 7-footers at the APA Nats in Vegas had bucket pockets. But they were specifically made to the APA's specs. I don't know how the pockets are cut normally on the 7-footers.

UWPoolGod
01-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Just hopefully you continue to compete in leagues or tourneys. A friend of mine bought a 9 foot Brunswick to practice and he stopped going to tourneys. Of course he is too into his video games to care about pool all that much anymore. But his table has too big of pockets so it defeats the purpose of having a home table to pracice pin point accuracy on.

JimS
01-16-2004, 06:12 AM
You want a table so get a table! Like Rod, Fred, and the other knowledgeable and experienced posters have said..playing at home will improve your stroke mechanics and make you more consistant but my point is that, in my opinion, you don't need to justify getting a table. You love playing pool, you ought to have a table if you have the $$ and the room.

I was fortunate to have the room for a 9 ft but I tell you that regardless of the size it's a blast having a home table. It's wonderful to be able to play some any time I please. She's six ft away as I type waiting for me to finish my morning perusal of the ccb so I can go caress her rails. Come to think of it....I'M OUTTA HERE! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif