PDA

View Full Version : Derby City LIve info getting the Boot *DELETED*

BCn
01-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Post deleted by ccboard_admin

Popcorn
01-14-2004, 08:57 PM
I notice you have your share of ad's on your web site, am I to assume they are all given for free? I think what you are trying to do is possibly a good business, and people will enjoy it, but please don't try to paint yourself out as some kind benefactor of the sport. Yours is a money making venture and being so, Billiard Digest has no responsibility to provide you with free advertising. The sarcasm in your post was not called for, an apology to Billiard Digest was. I took a quick look at many of your 99 posts to date. Almost without exception every one is an ad of some sort. Do you play pool? Do you have anything to contribute aside from your self promotion? There are a lot of interesting subjects here to comment on. To be honest, I am surprised they let you go this long. I am sure they would be more then happy to sell you an ad at the top of the page.

Ross
01-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Sorry, Popcorn, I usually agree with you, but this time I can't. I didn't see the offending post, but I do know that BCN is emerging as a TREMENDOUS asset to pool. They are providing more coverage of men's matches to view on national media than anyone else I know of. And how can you complain when they are offering to let people view the DCC LIVE at a relatively nominal cost? This is a dream of people who can't attend.

I think if you are posting for some product like selling cues, etc. and your product is pretty much like everyone else, then it is just spamming. But if you are letting people know the schedule of televised or internet streamed live events and the cost, you are providing a service to the CCB'ers. I personally like to know when I can watch pool on TV or the internet. If they make some money in the process, then more power to them. So, IMHO, BCN should be welcomed to post their schedules and costs.

So that's my opinion - and I'm sticking to it!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

(Posted by a fan of Popcorn posts - because they also give me very useful information.)

Popcorn
01-15-2004, 01:37 AM
You are right, but there is a difference between the posters discussing and sharing information and someone just posting an advertisement and that is what he does. The post that was deleted had sarcastic remarks regarding the intelligence of the people in charge of the Billiard Digest because they had the nerve to delete some of this guys posts.

RailbirdJAM
01-15-2004, 04:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I notice you have your share of ads on your website. Am I to assume they are all given for free?...I took a quick look at many of your 99 posts to date. Almost without exception every one is an ad of some sort. Do you play pool? Do you have anything to contribute aside from your self-promotion?<hr /></blockquote>

I'll probably be the next one to get the boot, but I'm going to post my thoughts, anyway.

BCn is the new kid on the block, a fairly new company, attempting to bring pool coverage to us, railbirds like me, pool enthusiasts, and those who aren't able to attend tournaments around the world and see the best of the best competing.

Rob Sykora is trying advance BCN's coverage of pool into the mainstream, but as we all know, that's kind of a difficult task in these United States of America with the current state of affairs in our pool world. If he can produce results that exhibit the fact there are folks out there who want to see pool on TV -- no, not want -- demand to see more pool on TV, he can show this to other broadcast stations and get pool out there so we can all have an enjoyable viewing experience.

So here is a fellow who started up a company, knows he ain't going to make a dime from the start, will face an uphill battle all the way, has the potential to lose everything he has invested, and will live in the red for a lengthened period of time UNLESS he can bring pool into the mainstream and, thus, enjoy a profit. What better way to do that than to offer it for free and hope that others take notice.

As far as him playing pool, Rob Sykora used to work for RJR. Some older pool guys may remember the Camel Tour. Well, Ron was the liaison for RJR that interacted directly with the powers to be, but when the tobacco legislation debacle hit the headlines, the Camel Tour was dropped because RJR had a lot of other things to contend with, Congressional testimonies, lawsuits, et cetera. Nobody was more disappointed than Rob that this happened.

So this man with all of his passion for OUR sport creates BCn hoping to recapture that "magic" he saw, with a hope to get pool in the mainstream in America, as it is elsewhere in the world, and now this. I think it's terrible that his posts have been deleted on this forum. Here's a true pioneer trying to help the cause and he's just had a door slammed in his face by one of the three biggest pool media companies. What a shame!

RailbirdJAM

RUNaRAK
01-15-2004, 06:23 AM
RailbirdJam...
Tap tap tap! I did not see it as offensive either.. I am all for BCN..

BCn
01-15-2004, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the kind words and support. If I said it myself, the post would probably be removed as blantant self-promotion.

Have I been advertising? Yes. As I said in the deleted post, it's the fastest form of communication when new opportunities arise. In mainstream media there are radios, TV or newspapers to place instanteous ads. This market sees only managements perspective of what the news is. And once again as I said in the deleted post, that will all change when we begin reporting the news on our weekly program.

Should we pay for the advertising? We do. That's why there's commercial spots on BCtv and ads all over our site.

When is this site or any other for that matter going to recognize that BCn has had a weekly program since July 3, 2003, without missing a week. That's a new show every week without repeats. And now we're online on-demand. Press Releases and notices on these boards are the only way to let people know. I suppose unless we're on ESPN we don't exist. BTW, ESPN has more posted schedule information on this board than BCn. But since it's done by board members and not ESPN it's okay?

We have a ground breaking event taking place and believe that the billiard community should know about it.

Am I a pool player? NO, but I play and I've grown a respect for the game and the players who play it. It shouldn't matter anyway. Do the producers, editors and executives of ESPN, FOX or SKY play pool? who cares.

BTW, the Derby City Classic goes LIVE online at 3 PM EST, Friday 1/16. Hopefuly everyone knows where to go to watch.

bluewolf
01-15-2004, 07:17 AM
Well, i sure hope your station is in my area. i live in DC and we do have on demand. hoping...

Laura

Ken
01-15-2004, 07:32 AM
QUOTE LAURA: "i live in DC and we do have on demand"

Laura, have you been paying attention? This broadcast is over the INTERNET! It comes through on your COMPUTER! "On demand" simply means that you will have to register and pay $9.95 for the entire show which I believe encompasses 20 matches over nearly a week and a half.

You can view a free show in advance to check how it might work on your computer.
Ken~~questions the power of advertising

eg8r
01-15-2004, 07:35 AM
I am with Popcorn on this one, you need to pay BD for ads placed on a BD website.

[ QUOTE ]
Should we pay for the advertising? We do. That's why there's commercial spots on BCtv and ads all over our site. <font color="blue"> I am not sure what to think of this statement, it borderlines on moronic. No one really cares if you pay for advertising on your site, HELLO, that is your site. You should be paying for advertising on THIS site. </font color>

When is this site or any other for that matter going to recognize that BCn has had a weekly program since July 3, 2003, without missing a week. <font color="blue"> Could you please point out a post in which someone did not give you the recognition for putting pool on TV each week? Actually I don't think that is what you meant, instead you are trying to tell BD that they should be deserving of you and what you have done for putting weekly shows on TV. Sorry, but BD is a company also and they need to be paid if you are going to advertise on their site </font color> <hr /></blockquote> I love everything that is happening as far as your TV coverage, and I faithfully watch it each week, but this business about thinking you should receive advertising for free is bunk.

[ QUOTE ]
That's a new show every week without repeats. <hr /></blockquote> I am a little lost with this, I have Tivo and it captures everytime BCtv is on, and I have seen plenty of repeats all week long. I guess you meaning each week there is something new, and that new thing will be repeated all week. That is fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Press Releases and notices on these boards are the only way to let people know. <hr /></blockquote> That is great, then pay for your press releases and notices on these boards. We as members of the board cannot even sell a cue if we want to, why should you get to sell your company here?

eg8r &lt;~~Hope BCn keeps up the good programming and fixes this issue

eg8r
01-15-2004, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
think if you are posting for some product like selling cues, etc. and your product is pretty much like everyone else, then it is just spamming. But if you are letting people know the schedule of televised or internet streamed live events and the cost, you are providing a service to the CCB'ers. <hr /></blockquote> Service or not, it is still advertising as they are trying to sell something. For the free shows, shown on cable and satellite I see no problem, but when they are trying to sell something, then it is nothing more than an ad. An ad to generate revenue for BCn, so why shouldn't BD get paid a little for providing a venue to BCn to advertise?

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
01-15-2004, 07:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken BCn has had a full page ad in BD every month for over a year.

or was it P&amp;B? or both? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ken
01-15-2004, 08:00 AM
Wally, does that mean you would welcome the other approx. 70 advertisers from BD to post ads here?
KenCT

RailbirdJAM
01-15-2004, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>...An ad to generate revenue for BCn, so why shouldn't BD get paid a little for providing a venue to BCn to advertise?<hr /></blockquote>

I think the fact that an entity is offering something FOR FREE is delightful and should be disseminated to the pool community and IMHO is newsworthy and possibly deserving of this forum.

I would think that folks who frequent this BD Discussion Forum would enjoy hearing about getting something for FREE.

Surely, the deleting of the original post couldn't have been done for political reasons. Everybody knows that Billiards Digest is one of the three biggest pool media entities, currently.

RailbirdJAM

Wally_in_Cincy
01-15-2004, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> Wally, does that mean you would welcome the other approx. 70 advertisers from BD to post ads here?
KenCT <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif good point Ken

Wally~~keeping a low profile from now on /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ken
01-15-2004, 08:38 AM
JAM,

The original post was not for a free entity. Even the TV broadcasts that eg8r mentioned on satellite and cable are not free and you must pay extra for them if they are not included in the base cost.

While the cost for the DCC live broadcast is miniscule and not designed to make a profit it still must be purchased. I believe that it was originally suggested that it be free but then a small cost to help cover expenses was decided on.
KenCT

eg8r
01-15-2004, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the fact that an entity is offering something FOR FREE is delightful and should be disseminated to the pool community and IMHO is newsworthy and possibly deserving of this forum.

I would think that folks who frequent this BD Discussion Forum would enjoy hearing about getting something for FREE. <hr /></blockquote> Call me crazy, but CHARGING $9.99 for something is not exactly giving it away for free.

Now obviously I know the stuff on cable and satellite weekly is free, and you can go to their website and get it free, I don't mind them telling us about it. However, when they also tell you about something they are SELLING for $9.99 then it is an entirely different animal. At this point it becomes free advertising and that is what is wrong.

eg8r

Popcorn
01-15-2004, 10:10 AM
You are so full of self-righteousness you just don't get it. Just admit you are wrong an move on and stop this pretense at being the victim.

cheesemouse
01-15-2004, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I notice you have your share of ad's on your web site, am I to assume they are all given for free? I think what you are trying to do is possibly a good business, and people will enjoy it, but please don't try to paint yourself out as some kind benefactor of the sport. Yours is a money making venture and being so, Billiard Digest has no responsibility to provide you with free advertising. The sarcasm in your post was not called for, an apology to Billiard Digest was. I took a quick look at many of your 99 posts to date. Almost without exception every one is an ad of some sort. Do you play pool? Do you have anything to contribute aside from your self promotion? There are a lot of interesting subjects here to comment on. To be honest, I am surprised they let you go this long. I am sure they would be more then happy to sell you an ad at the top of the page. <hr /></blockquote>

I think BCn should be commended for being straight about what they are trying to do&gt; give the pool enthusiast a new option for viewing the best do what they do, uncut and in your face.

If BD didn't have their heads up their butts they might have got on the band wagon and featured BCn on the cover of BD and helped turn on pool nuts to this new opportunity to see pools best get it on, in a new venue, offered at what seems to be a very reasonalble price for the number of hours offered. But then that would be actually promoting the game. This could be the precursor of how us pool fanatics get our pool fixes w/o having to rely on the likes of ESPN's chopped up made for TV events.

As far as the administrators of this board DELETING the BNc's post. I think administrator is being selective. I think it is more a case of BD being caught behind the curve once again and they find it slightly embarrassing.

The reason I used the word 'selective' is that, if BD consistantly followed their own guide lines of solicitation on this message board there would be hundreds of deletions a week and that would mean that they are actually paying attention.

Thank you BNc for trying to advance the game of pool. I hope the 'new' option for viewing pool as it happens over the Internet is highly successful. I hope they make a bundle so they can do it again and again. I hope it is story that a pool rag couldn't avoid writing about because it is HOT and will sell magazines, after all isn't that what BD wants to do?

Buzzsaw
01-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Maybe if during the broadcast they identified BD as a contributor that may pay for their advertising.

Popcorn
01-15-2004, 10:27 AM
BD is easy going, and they have been with this guy. They already have given him the pass of passes as far as blatant advertising goes. They have only deleted maybe two of his 100 posts. The post at the beginning of this thread was an insulting post directed at BD because they deleted one of his post recently. It just showed the guy to be pretty low class. His next post, if there are any, should start with an apology to the BD, but I would not count on it. You have to be able to look at this objectively.